I bought more trek models...

For all other scales including 1/72, 1/537, 1/650 and Studio.
NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Re: I bought more trek models...

Post by NCC1966 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:50 pm

I built both the NX-01 (refit version) as well the 1701-A. They are both great models and will turn out great!

A Few tips...

I didn't have a good experience with their decals though, specially the 1701-A as they blow in several smaller parts at the more subtle touch. It was very frustrating because the 1701-A comes with a nice full set of aztec but at least for my model they were useless and I ended dumping the whole three decal sheets (used only the marks). Just scan yours before to use and print a new set. I wasn't that smart...

:oops:

Also I hope you are a glue modeler because the tiny parts aren't possible to fix without glue and even halved parts such nacelles won't look good without some glue help to close completely the gaps. The good news is that if you join the halves tightly and glue them together you won't need to putty (I didn't on my both).

Finally I had also some problems to fix the clear small parts as they fit too snugly and at the same time they are too small to have a good grip with the fingers. Mostly of them I ended cutting the small locks off and gluing it with white glue.

:)

I am looking forward to buy another NX-01 to make the original version (or the mirror verse) and one of those Reliants.

:mrgreen:
Thanks,

Yan.

MEATLOAFr
Resolute Rear Admiral (UH)
Resolute Rear Admiral (UH)

Post by MEATLOAFr » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:25 pm

NCC1966 wrote:
I am looking forward to buy another NX-01 to make the original version (or the mirror verse) and one of those Reliants.

the Hobby Town near me still has one of those for $65 (if I remember correctly) - ditto for the 350 refit
have both sitting in my stash as well
If the world ends tomorrow, it's ALL YOUR FAULT!!!

Custom Decals, and Vinyl Cutting services available
NOW PRINTING WHITE DECALS
E-Mail direct to my [USERNAME] @ GMAIL account for Decals & Vinyl services

NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by NCC1966 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:02 pm

MEATLOAFr wrote:
NCC1966 wrote:

the Hobby Town near me still has one of those for $65 (if I remember correctly) - ditto for the 350 refit
have both sitting in my stash as well
Actually I am referring to the 1/1000 versions for $25 each.

The 1/350 scale is too huge for me. I had an 1701-A at such scale for a long time within my closet (I bought it at Amazon 10 years ago). Since I was living in a small apartment the first thing I got rid of was the box. So I decided that I would patiently await until to have my new big house done (I was building it by the time) before to start assembling the kit. However when the time finally has come, I figured out that I still wouldn't have a place for that! Then I sold it and bought an 1/537 kit but then and again I figured out that it was also still huge and ended selling it. I confess that I have a small regret for have sold this last one and once in a while I catch myself chasing it online.

But those models are really rare nowadays and when you find one people tends to ask a jewel price for them. I remember to pay no more than $30 or so on a local store for my first 1/537 1701-A (around 25 years ago) and that I assembled. By that time I bought for the same price also a Klingon K'Tinga and a Reliant. The K'Tinga was abandoned by the middle of the assembling and the Reliant never came out of the box. Then something happened that made me to give up of modeling so I ended throwing everything (kits, paints, etc) in a big card box and giving away to a cousin. Never heard about the stuff anymore.

Now there is a guy near of me selling a 1/537 NIB Reliant for the crazy price of $130. It would give an excellent model for a lighting project but sincerely I am not prepared to pay that much on a plastic kit...

:P
Thanks,

Yan.

Return to “Misc”