33 inch TOS Enterprise - Studio Scale Replica (Pic heavy)

For all other scales including 1/72, 1/537, 1/650 and Studio.
egadgetguy
Candid Cadet
Candid Cadet

Re: 33 inch TOS Enterprise - Studio Scale Replica (Pic heavy)

Post by egadgetguy »

I've been lurking on this thread; actually just reading every post... but I couldn't add my $0.02 because I had not yet registered.

First, I want to laud you for making this effort. I don't know if I could undertake this size project. I do wish I could...

Second. Please do not destroy the plans. at least not the notes. I would buy this book [esp' if it's an ebook.]

I have built a fair amount of models, though I would not consider myself among the best. Several of those models have been star trek based. I have lost many of the models I have made previously. [Moms! Ugh. - Quit throwing out our stuff!!!]
some of the Ones I've lost include
AMT ERTL? 6676 1975 USS Enterprise NCC-1701 built ~1975
Klingon bird of prey, Romulan [ old style], and Galileo shuttle craft. built 1976-1979
Then Enterprise A with lights built in 79-80
I have a ~1975-1984 18" that I built about 2006-7

I am working on 1/2500 scale triple model right now and has a few kits I've not opened.

I am considering buying the 1/350 scale and if I do that, I may make my own light kit. WHY? Because I feel there are limitations to the kits AND the expense! more than the model? What?

I appreciate the work you've done and I myself can think of many reasons to scratch build one. Authenticity of a scratch built model Vs a Kit version... It would be made from same or similar materials as the original And, even though there's a Kit that's 32", which seems very close. It's not exact. Like, why didn't they make that on exactly 33.75" like studio model? Was it to make it exactly 1/350th? what would be wrong with 1/336.711111111th? they could say it's 1/337th?

Keep up the good work...
Shaw
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by Shaw »

Even though I haven't been able to do much in the last few years, the model is still sitting here (assembled, but not yet glued together). Even in it's unfinished state, it is still a nice looking model.

This is how it is holding up...

Click to enlarge

Better than me, oddly enough. :o
Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral »

Still interested.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.
Shaw
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by Shaw »

So I have made a little progress over the past few months. I took this shot of the model disassembled (because I normally show the model all together) after I had finished the priming...

Click to enlarge

Recently I first started in on the final painting of the model...

Click to enlarge

... and then worked on some detailing...

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Anyways, I know these images aren't a massive change from when the model was just covered in primer, but it was a series of big steps for me... and hopefully steps in the right direction for the model.
ProfArturo
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by ProfArturo »

Its always good to make a little progress, makes the whole thing seem a bit less daunting each time.
novahobbies
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by novahobbies »

Lookin' real good, man! Agreed, small steps are better than no steps. In our hobby, we're quite used to seeing multi-year builds, especially with these big boys. ;) Heck, all of my 350 ships are still in BOXES.
ThunderboltA10
Candid Cadet
Candid Cadet

Post by ThunderboltA10 »

And to think my wife and I were going to move... Now she's going to do everything so that we stay in our smallish flat :lol: We were checking out these houses in Greece and my only demand was to choose one with a room that's big enough for me to build and store models in... If she ever sees me browsing that thread, it's the end of it!
Shaw
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by Shaw »

My wife let me do a little work on the model, so here is a quick progress shot...

Click to enlarge
Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral »

Shaw wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:14 pm My wife let me do a little work on the model, so here is a quick progress shot...

Click to enlarge
No words.... :drool:
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.
Max Nex
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by Max Nex »

that's really looking good Shaw !

I am glad the Polar Lights kit is 1/350 and represents the eleven foot version of the ship ; I do not like the upper primary hull contour of the 33 inch model.
I am glad it is 350 scale as it is the same as NX-01 , the movie Enterprise and the new K'T'Inga :ugeek:
Last edited by Max Nex on Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Misc”