STAR TREK LANDING PARTY - DEATH OF A RED SHIRT 1/72

For all other scales including 1/72, 1/537, 1/650 and Studio.
hemble
Lighting Fast Lieutenant JG

STAR TREK LANDING PARTY - DEATH OF A RED SHIRT 1/72

Post by hemble » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:07 am

Hi All,

When I saw the Star Trek The Original Series shuttle craft I knew that I had to make a diorama with it and what better way of doing that is to have it landed on a planet with a survey crew exploring it's surroundings.

And as we all know that whenever a Landing Party goes to a new planet the poor old red shirts are always the first to get killed so with that I started to make the diorama with the Red shirt getting killed by an alien monster. I painted everything using GW, Reaper and Vallejo paints.

RECIPE

Base - The base is a cheap picture frame I picked up from a 2 dollar shop it was re-inforced and then I used foam to make the rocks and then covered those with 2 parts of plaster of paris and fine sand and also added a tablespoon of wood glue to the mixture. Once dry I painted over it with different shades of browns and tans till I got the desired colour I wanted.

Shuttle - The shuttle is from Playing Mantis, I pulled it apart and cut out the door using a model knife and also added minor interior such as seats and console you can't see due to the figure in the door way. The shuttle was given numerous washes of light grey and once dry I also dry brushed it with flat white and dull grey to give it a worn look, I also added some weathering to it using falt back and falt brown.

Crew - The crew are from Preiser( German Tankers and German Infantry marching WW2 which are multi-pose figures which gives you the option of different positions you can put the figures in. Once I got the look I wanted I sanded of the uniform details and painted them in the uniform colours.

The Creature - The creature is also from Preiser(zoo/circus animals) I just added a tale using greenstuff 2 part putty to it as I wanted to keep it simplistic just like the Mugato(ape suit with added detail) and it was painted in browns, tans and drybrushed with 1 part brown and 1 part white

Equipement - The equipment is again from Preiser which came from some 1/72 train figures and accessories.

Ron

Del
Starship Engineer
Starship Engineer

Re: STAR TREK LANDING PARTY - DEATH OF A RED SHIRT 1/72

Post by Del » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:40 pm

It's hilarious that you chose a bear instead of trying to make some type of alien creature. Such great work. Thanks for the ideas!!
Multi-Verse Models - http://www.mvmodels.biz or find me on Facebook
Producing kits previously sold thru Ravenstar, Novahobbies, Fantastic Plastic, NorthTrek Creations, and more!

hemble

Post by hemble » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:05 am

Del wrote:It's hilarious that you chose a bear instead of trying to make some type of alien creature. Such great work. Thanks for the ideas!!
Thanks Del, I figured that if TOS could tansform a gorilla in an alien why not a bear(simply add tail :D ). When I made this dio I wanted to try and make it like the original sets.

Ron

Steam235
Captain USS December
Captain USS December

Post by Steam235 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:54 am

Man I love your stuff I was just checking out your posts in the figurines section. But I have to say, your starship is losing a ton of crew men. Awesome but a bit macabre.

hemble

Post by hemble » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:28 am

Steam235 wrote:Man I love your stuff I was just checking out your posts in the figurines section. But I have to say, your starship is losing a ton of crew men. Awesome but a bit macabre.
Thanks for the reply mate and yeah the way I'm going I won't have any Starship left :D. I have three dios in the works at the moment below but my not be made in the order I have them.

1st dio is in 1/72 scale (TOS) with a crashed shuttle and another shuttle flying over some trees to rescue them.

2nd dio is in 7" scale (TOS) and will be a double sided dio with a Fed scout ship getting attacked by a Klingon Battle Cruiser and it getting boarded.

3rd dio is in 7" scale (TOS) and will be of an away team investigating a Class M planet and finding some old ruins in the jungle and finding something that they didn't expect.

Ron

Go4Fun
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Post by Go4Fun » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:38 am

Now that the tail has been pointed out I think you found the King New York Sewer Rat! :D
I like your work tho.

Gmeister
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Gmeister » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:41 am

Poor redshirt :shock:

hemble

Post by hemble » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:02 am

Hi All,

Go4Fun & Go4Fun - Thanks guys and sorry for the late reply.

Ron

Return to “Misc”