1/32 Bridge kit

For all other scales including 1/72, 1/537, 1/650 and Studio.
Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 1/32 Bridge kit

Post by Tesral » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:45 am

The kit gives one two conflicting issues. Difficulty in placing decals and paint -- Fit and finish of the kit parts proper.

However it offers an unusual option not generally seen in complete ships. I can use screws or bolts to securely assemble the model without glue.

The kit fit and finish are still bad. Small improvements like figures and scopes aside the parts are the same parts. The viewscreen is due a complete replacement and the turbolift alcove is totally wrong. I can save the door I think.

I need to cut a full sized A deck from plywood to build this on.

Interesting, the McMaster's plan layout is 1/24 scale
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:04 am

Yea, I';m really working on this, not just noodling about it. The issues with the model are legion, new figures aside. It is a case of picking your battles.

One of the issues with the thing is the chairs. While the general shape is close enough to the Modified Burke chair used, the base is awful. I have plenty of chairs. Three models worth.

On looking at the base I decided I could afford to ruin a few. I'm not filing down every single chair base. I'm doing one and casting it. Likely in pewter. The post should flair out at the top and bottom. This might be a battle I do not choose. It would mean thinning an already not thick post.

Change the left, original to the right

Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 1/32 Bridge kit (getting picture heavy)

Post by Tesral » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:16 am

Next issue, the Turbolift and turbolift alcove. WRONG WRONG WRONG! Just awful

First shot is the kit part on the outer ring I finished of old parts some time ago. Two original kits bought off Evilbay. The Second is the McMasters' blue print plan for the TOS bridge. Much fixing. I'm just ditching the kit part and scratching the whole thing.,

This is going to have to wait until I have the base ready. The question needs be addressed of also building the turbolift car.

Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 1/32 Bridge kit (getting picture heavy)

Post by Tesral » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:34 am

Tesral wrote:Next issue, the Turbolift and turbolift alcove. WRONG WRONG WRONG! Just awful

First shot is the kit part on the outer ring I finished of old parts some time ago. Two original kits bought off Evilbay. The Second is the McMasters' blue print plan for the TOS bridge. Much fixing. I'm just ditching the kit part and scratching the whole thing.,

This is going to have to wait until I have the base ready. The question needs be addressed of also building the turbolift car.

Then there is this. It looks like the kit is more accurate, not totally, but better. BUT, does not line up with the exterior of the ship. Gotta love TV physics.

Well since it's a whole deck, make it up as a I go.

Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)

Post by Moongrim » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:27 pm

I've never realized just how much 'slap and dash' so many science-fiction kits were. The annoying part? They don't seem to do the same with Planes, Trains, or Automobiles.

It just seems like the Big Business Model Makers simply refuse to cast off their cavalier attitude to all things Science Fictiony.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.

Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:06 pm

Moongrim wrote:I've never realized just how much 'slap and dash' so many science-fiction kits were. The annoying part? They don't seem to do the same with Planes, Trains, or Automobiles.

It just seems like the Big Business Model Makers simply refuse to cast off their cavalier attitude to all things Science Fictiony.
I recall a Fine Scale Modeler article on the inaccuracies of various P-51 kits. Also panel lines as deep as drainage ditches. We do not stand alone. The industry still sees models as "toys", and toys do not need to be done right.

The main issue here is the carelessness of TV model and set makers. The bridge as presented does not fit in the ship as presented.

I have this issue of "craftsmanship" that a thing worth doing is worth doing to the best of your ability.

To refute Robert Wise we DO come to these things with slide rules.

Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral » Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:20 am

Well I ordered some rubber for the chair bases, being out of same. Damn has the stuff gone up in price since I last bought any. I see why Chris frets.

I also got some small funnels. I'm going ot try something involving a pour spout built in rather than cutting it in..

Time to dig my casting supplies out.

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:53 pm

Tesral wrote:The main issue here is the carelessness of TV model and set makers. The bridge as presented does not fit in the ship as presented.
The most glaring being the TOS shuttlecraft. Its exterior is much smaller than its interior, as presented.
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

Moongrim

Post by Moongrim » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:24 pm

el gato wrote:
Tesral wrote:The main issue here is the carelessness of TV model and set makers. The bridge as presented does not fit in the ship as presented.
The most glaring being the TOS shuttlecraft. Its exterior is much smaller than its interior, as presented.
Ah the Star Trek Universe- no need for toilets. :mrgreen:
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.

Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:26 am

el gato wrote:
And which version of the Shuttle interior?

It's a common TV/movie issue Star Trek does not stand alone.

FYI, My Micro Mark order shipped. Progress soon.

Return to “Misc”