Romulan Bird-Of-Prey from ST Space Ship Set

For all other scales including 1/72, 1/537, 1/650 and Studio.
trekriffic
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Romulan Bird-Of-Prey from ST Space Ship Set

Post by trekriffic » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:47 pm

This is my Romulan Biord-Of-Prey from STTOS. This was one of the three ships included in the old Space Ship Set.
It's purported to be 1/1600 scale according to a listing over on Starship Modeler although the actual size of this ship is still a matter of debate on many forums. These images were taken after a good bit of refurbishment and rework of the original model which included puttying and filling in around the front of the engine nacelles to get rid of the "doorknob" look to the bussards and adding a plasma torpedo emitter to the bow of the ship. I then reapainted the whole ship using Testors Ghost Grey. Aftermarket decals were applied for the bird on the underside, the trailing edges of the wings and tailfin, the impulse engine vents on the stern, and the rim windows. Weathering was added using a black gel ink pen.

"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/

caisson2delta
Lighting Fast Lieutenant JG

Re: Romulan Bird-Of-Prey from ST Space Ship Set

Post by caisson2delta » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:44 pm

Nice work. I hope you're going to include some pics of the Klingon ship as well.

trynda1701

Post by trynda1701 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:53 am

Nice work again, trekriffic. 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

A nice simple design for its time, the BoP decal is what sold this ship for me. Your detailing on the ship, recreating what was on the filming model but didn't really show up on screen makes it for me. And your accurizing those engines (what were AMT thinking?) is cool.

I agree, when do we get to see the D-7 from this three set?

Mark
Fool me once, SHAME on you! Fool me TWICE? INCOMING!

British by law, SCOTTISH by birth!

hemble

Post by hemble » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:33 am

Beautifully done indeed, I especially love the weathering you have done to it.

Ron

Steam235
Captain USS December
Captain USS December

Post by Steam235 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:31 pm

Off topic a bit I know but every time I see this ship now I think about it's unique history. A bit of tossed dialoge makes it clear that the romulans stole federation designs to make this ship. http://startrekhistory.com/DS3.html Now I really can see the enterprise saucer and nacelles rearranged by the Romulans. And then various storys say that because it was made by a non union model maker it was destroyed or the never reused it to get out of hot water. Leading to the Romulans using Klingon ships. No wonder they disappear for 80 years and then Show up with those bad a** Romulan Warbirds in TNG.

Return to “Misc”