Macro Trek flashback!

Discuss 1/3900, 1/7000 and other miniatures here.
novahobbies
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Macro Trek flashback!

Post by novahobbies »

Look what I found on eBay!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-STAR-T ... Swh9pa5OCW

Who else here remembers these little gems? The Macro Trek stuff was my first foray into the wide wild world of Star Trek resin.....and I definitely had one of these little critters! I sort of wish I had one still! Let's see, does it tick all the early resin categories?

Stickers for markings? CHECK!
Stinky polyester resin? OH YOUBETCHA!
Accurate? MORE OR LESS, MORE OR LESS....
Hand drawn and typed instructions? CHECK!

Yep! All the hallmarks of the late 80's and early 90's for resin models. It's wonderful to see these old pearls pop up from time to time.
MEATLOAFr
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Re: Macro Trek flashback!

Post by MEATLOAFr »

novahobbies wrote:Look what I found on eBay!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-STAR-T ... Swh9pa5OCW

Who else here remembers these little gems? The Macro Trek stuff was my first foray into the wide wild world of Star Trek resin.....and I definitely had one of these little critters! I sort of wish I had one still! Let's see, does it tick all the early resin categories?

Stickers for markings? CHECK!
Stinky polyester resin? OH YOUBETCHA!
Accurate? MORE OR LESS, MORE OR LESS....
Hand drawn and typed instructions? CHECK!

Yep! All the hallmarks of the late 80's and early 90's for resin models. It's wonderful to see these old pearls pop up from time to time.
best part is it states in the title - "bootleg" :lol:
If the world ends tomorrow, it's ALL YOUR FAULT!!!
Custom Decals, and Vinyl Cutting services available
ABLE TO PRINT DECALS IN WHITE
NOW ABLE TO 3D PRINT SMALL SCALE MODELS (ANYCUBIC PHOTON & MONO X) have STL, will print!!
Kratok
Perhaps today IS a good day to model

Post by Kratok »

novahobbies wrote:Who else here remembers these little gems?
I do!

Quite fondly.

They were my first foray into the world of modeling with resin castings. And yes, Good Lord did that polyester resin stink.

So many memories.....
Grissom
Nebula
Galor
Borg Cube
Kóbra (Voodieh)
Ambassador
Dkora

Galor and Nebula builds went to friends. Ambassador and Grissom kits went in a trade.Sadly, only the Borg cube, Kóbra and Dkora survive. Wish I had some of those old builds back again for the nostalgia, and some variant kitbashing.

novahobbies wrote: It's wonderful to see these old pearls pop up from time to time.
Indeed.
novahobbies
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by novahobbies »

Kratok wrote:
novahobbies wrote:Who else here remembers these little gems?
I do!

Quite fondly.

They were my first foray into the world of modeling with resin castings. And yes, Good Lord did that polyester resin stink.

So many memories.....
Grissom
Nebula
Galor
Borg Cube
Kóbra (Voodieh)
Ambassador
Dkora

Galor and Nebula builds went to friends. Ambassador and Grissom kits went in a trade.Sadly, only the Borg cube, Kóbra and Dkora survive. Wish I had some of those old builds back again for the nostalgia, and some variant kitbashing.
They also had what I believe was the first version of the AGT ED ever to be produced. The only one I never got from your list was the Ferengi ship, although I'd had the opportunity and I passed on it. The Grissom and the Galor were pretty accurate, and even if the Nebula ships weren't accurate, they were still beautigully detailed and fun to build. Remember Macro Trek did a Phoenix version also, that (IMHO) made more sense from a design standpoint than the actual filming model.
The only remaining Macro trek kits I have are a couple Cardassian ships, and the Borg cube. All the others have been rehomed or lost to time for one reason or another. As I'm sure you know, this was all Dennis' early work before his current company was born, and it's wonderful to see a craftsman hone his work over the years.
Tell ya what. If I ever see an unbuilt Macro Trek Phoenix floating around the evilBay, I'll snap that up in a nanosecond.
Kratok

Post by Kratok »

I learn something new here almost every day.

I was not even aware of the MacroTrek Phoenix variant. Man, I'd love to see that. Warp no longer appears to be producing theirs (which I also missed out on), and it is the only 1400 Nebula variant I don't own.

None built, of course.....

There was a "regular" MT Nebula on EvilBay not that long ago, pointed out to me by a friend here on the forums. Dont need that one, so I passed. But if you ever see a MT Phoenix two-fur on the EvilBay, keep me in mind!
novahobbies
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by novahobbies »

Kratok wrote:I learn something new here almost every day.

I was not even aware of the MacroTrek Phoenix variant. Man, I'd love to see that. Warp no longer appears to be producing theirs (which I also missed out on), and it is the only 1400 Nebula variant I don't own.

None built, of course.....

There was a "regular" MT Nebula on EvilBay not that long ago, pointed out to me by a friend here on the forums. Dont need that one, so I passed. But if you ever see a MT Phoenix two-fur on the EvilBay, keep me in mind!
Man, coincidences happen all the time, but this is a good one! As it happens, I noticed a gent on FB selling the "Endeavour Conversion" from Sci Fi Resin.....which is the old name that Macro Trek briefly ran under when a different caster was doing the resin pouring! Now, the artwork clearly shows the oval pod (Sci Fi Resin didn't use the Macro Trek boxart), and the price was extremely reasonable, so I'm taking the chance. I'm 90% sure I'm about to get that old Phoenix variation after all....I guess we'll all have to RAFO when it gets here! I'll do a blog post when I see it.
Kratok

Post by Kratok »

Score!

Good for you! I hope all goes well in the transaction. And yes, please be sure to share images when you have it in hand!

Return to “Gaming”