Poll: Popular Gaming Scales

Discuss 1/3900, 1/7000 and other miniatures here.

What is your preferred scale?

27%
20%
27%
20%
7%

Total votes: 15

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Re: Poll: Popular Gaming Scales

Post by el gato »

Savion wrote:I don't really have any other minis I would care to have - okay, except for a number of the Star Trek Attack Wing line, and those are kinda all over the place scale-wise, honestly. Not even sure what the scales of those are.
jkb-1 wrote:You might say the games are modeling something otber than the appearance and size of the ships; their power curves and combat effectiveness. As long as the Runabouts are smaller than the Galaxies, with room for the Mirandas in between them so there isn't such a psychological shock...
shiftdel wrote:Judging from my sales, 7000 is the most popular, it sells 4 times more than the second place, which is 1/3125 (not listed on your poll).
Thank you for your inputs. This is helpful. If I were to boil down your and others' answers, it seems like the size of the mini is more important than having a consistent scale. Would that be an accurate statement?
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.
Savion
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by Savion »

Fairly accurate. ;)

I do appreciate the constant scale of the SFB minis - well, almost constant scale... the best thing about this line is there is an upper limit to the size of how big a starship can get - in the SFB universe, anyway.

As far as Attack Wing goes... many of them are about or slightly larger than the SFB minis. It's more of the range of ships available within Attack Wing and that they can be gamed. It seems that like the SFB minis... there is an "upper limit" to the size that these game ships can be....! ;)

Since the TNG ships are all larger than the TOS/Movie eras, it does make sense to make those a smaller scale in order to preserve gaming space. Not everyone has a gym or park field to set up and play large-scale TNG miniatures, after all! It would seem that in this case... 1/7000 would be the best option for TNG era ST miniatures.

BTW, I didn't choose an option within the poll. It was too limited; I feel that 1/7000 is too small, IMO (except for noted above) for every case and era; but the only other larger option is the FASA scale? Sorry. It just seems odd to me that even after FASA folded decades ago with a now unsupported and largely abandoned gaming system that the only other contemporary ship miniature line to FASA that has been in constant production to now is completely overlooked by nearly everyone.
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato »

Savion wrote:BTW, I didn't choose an option within the poll. It was too limited; I feel that 1/7000 is too small, IMO (except for noted above) for every case and era; but the only other larger option is the FASA scale? Sorry. It just seems odd to me that even after FASA folded decades ago with a now unsupported and largely abandoned gaming system that the only other contemporary ship miniature line to FASA that has been in constant production to now is completely overlooked by nearly everyone.
No need to apologize. After talking with you guys it's apparent to me that the poll was badly constructed. It should be about the preferred size of the minis vs. the scale of the minis.

So I suppose this begs the question: What would be the preferred size of a gaming ship, regardless of the era, race or game?
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by Moongrim »

Preferred size?
Just enough to occupy a hex without crowding out any other ships on adjacent hexes.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato »

Hmmm... not sure what that means. Is there a standard size for these hexes? How big are they?
Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral »

Attack wing annoys the heck out of me, Horribly out of scale to each other.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.
ecs05norway
Candid Cadet
Candid Cadet

Post by ecs05norway »

I can't select an option in the poll, since my choice is 1/3125.

Return to “Gaming”