1/7000 scale Battle Diorama

Discuss 1/3900, 1/7000 and other miniatures here.
MadAdmiral
Erratic Ensign
Erratic Ensign

1/7000 scale Battle Diorama

Post by MadAdmiral » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:15 pm

Hello Everyone, I've been lurking on here a while admiring yall's work and now I'd like to show you something that I've been working on. Its not quite done yet. I plan to add registries and names to the Federation ships and a cotton ball nebula around all of them to hide the stands. In addition I was wondering if yall had any tips on painting battle damage or building "Space Scenery" like Nebula's and Asteroids?

Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)

Re: 1/7000 scale Battle Diorama

Post by Moongrim » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:36 pm

A most intriguing diorama.

3-D battle maneuvers. I am fascinated with the attention to detail. :mrgreen:
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.

DefiantClient
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by DefiantClient » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:07 pm

What miniatures are you using? I want three New Orleans classes. :(

I've been playing a lot of Star Trek Armada III (Sins of a Solar Empire Mod) and I love that I spotted the Legate class there. Where did you get the Cardassian ships?

MadAdmiral
Erratic Ensign
Erratic Ensign

Post by MadAdmiral » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:43 pm

Moongrim wrote:A most intriguing diorama.

3-D battle maneuvers. I am fascinated with the attention to detail. :mrgreen:
Thank you, That means a lot. I will take better pictures when its finished so you can see the details in all thier tiny glory.
DefiantClient wrote:What miniatures are you using? I want three New Orleans classes. :(

I've been playing a lot of Star Trek Armada III (Sins of a Solar Empire Mod) and I love that I spotted the Legate class there. Where did you get the Cardassian ships?
ME TOO! Great Game. That was actually my part of my inspiration. I got my ships from Shapeways, This is the Store: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/halcyonyards Oh and watch your wallet, You have been warned.

kobayashimaru
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by kobayashimaru » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:57 pm

Wow! Thanks for taking the leap from lurker to poster, these look cool!
This is just neat! As others have already asked... where'd you acquire those nice looking TNG ships?
(Im thinking they're ala shapeways). I'm figuring there's also some clix ships?

As to making battle damage, I think what you're doing atm is awesome!
I'm liking the lazer effects - how did you achieve those translucent effects? this is what I envisage for the clix ships, it'd even make the 1-1400 scale stuff look that much more awesome. I wonder how you'd make an undulating torpedo effect, or those disruptor effects...

I recommend checking out shaper-n-maker's or R6B7's in-depth guides for making cost-effective space terrain -
there's wire and plaster and foam, basically layering.

for painting technique on battledamage, it depends on how you like the effect.
Maybe some whites and yellows to go with the oranges and reds? lighter around the corners and darker in the center maybe some gaps in the decks, some carbon scoring and drybrushing of rust color and blacks/browns for 'grazes'? you could go the next level, and deform the mini with a dremel, and use salt/dirt while painting to simulate paint chips etc :D (it's a little hard with our 1/7000 scale).

so, a solid white (gloss or matte) pass, then a yellow and red wet mixed on the mini to effect - that way you get each zone has a different mix of colors.

I like your cotton wool/pva method (related tangent, I wonder how you'd make a nebula using similar techniques): if you use hotglue and pva, you can coat the wool with more solid parts if you'd like, and can then paint those parts with tamiya or vallejo translucents.
I especially like your 'venting plasma' effect, and wonder how that multi-colored effect or a translucent (so as I can light it up to accompany the Hallmark Ent E model) could be achieved

Thanks for sharing, and I can't wait to see what you make next :D

MadAdmiral
Erratic Ensign
Erratic Ensign

Post by MadAdmiral » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:38 pm

Thank you Kobayashimaru! You can follow the Link in my previous post to where I got all of the models. You were correct Shapeways is the giver of all thing wonderful! Unfortunately at least for these models I can't find a Flight stand that will fit them, so I hot glued them on to what you see now.

As for the phaser and translucent shield effects; I used a thin gauge colored wire from Hobby Lobby, tried to unroll it as straight as possible and then hot glued it to the ships and a few pieces of plastic I cut out of a water bottle with an exacto knife. I tacked it all together with hot glue which deformed the water bottle plastic a bit but I reckon if you use a higher quality water bottle like Fiji or Smart Water rather than whatever no name brand i used the might retain their shape a little better. All of the color you see was colored with sharpies.

Thanks for the tips on battle damage and the advice to check out shaper-n-maker's and B7R6's terrain guides. I think that's the direction I'm gonna go towards when I start on the Nebula this weekend. I had originally planned to make the Ds9 Wormhole using a small Plasma ball and a Paper Lantern covered in cotton balls. Unfortunately, the Electricity coming of the ball and the wire on the inside of the paper lantern disagreed with each other. (smelled like a fire hazard to me.)

It would be neat to add some little LED lights to the nebula or the models. Though at least in my limited experience with the models that I'm painting, when I tried to add a light source to the ships (using my phone flashlight shining up against the bottom of the model.) I found out that my black base coat wasn't as thick or thorough as I had originally thought and the light shined through places other than the deflector which didn't look very good to me.

Again, thanks for all the complements everyone it really means a lot! :grouphug:

MadAdmiral
Erratic Ensign
Erratic Ensign

Post by MadAdmiral » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:02 pm

Little Update. I've colored enough cotton balls to make most of the nebula and I've reposed some of the ships to make it feel a little more like a full battle, and less like a running defeat for the Federation. I think the Cardies look better from this angle anyway. More Phaser blasts will be re-added sooner or later.

kobayashimaru
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by kobayashimaru » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:45 pm

Where did my post go...? I think I hit preview instead of submit... :oops:

anywho,
Wow,
look at the layers of color in that nebula: blueyaquaviolet and the drybrushed highlights. The cotton-wool lends a 'smokey nebula' effect to the diorama.
"There's coffee in that nebula" - Janeway.
I wonder how the diorama would look when illuminated from below? illuminated with blue LED light etc?
I also wonder, if a similar nebula technique could be used to represent the Wormhole from DS9?

This looks like a perfect choice of moment for the diorama, the engagement could go either way, the Feds could subdue the Cardassians, or the Cardassians could enslave what's left of the Federation ("There are 4 lights!").
That tension adds to the final piece (though we all know the Feds will win).

The lighting effect/weapon effects, they're awesome! I've been looking into different ways to achieve this, and what we see here is similar to what I'd like to see on the local ST:AW tables, even the curvature of the phaser blasts curving around the shield, thats attention to detail.

Have you shared this over on HCRealms or Lead-Adventure.de? They'd LOVE this, same with the FFG ST:AW forum.

So... what's the next project/s :D

ian
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by ian » Sat May 02, 2015 7:01 pm

Simply fantastic!

Return to “Gaming”