Enterprise refit - first Trek kit in a while

WIP, finished kits and other 1/1000 discussion.
NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Re: Enterprise refit - first Trek kit in a while

Post by NCC1966 »

trekriffic wrote:Also if you have a bottle of Solvaset brush it on after the decal has set. The decal may appear to wrinkle but don't panic, once it dries it will smooth out as it evaporates and tightens the decal down. Just make sure not to touch it until it's fully cured. Solvaset is sort of the nuclear option for decals that won't cooperate with weaker solvents.
Does it only helps the decal to conform to the model or it also improves adhesion?

:)
Thanks,

Yan.
trekriffic
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by trekriffic »

NCC1966 wrote:Does it only helps the decal to conform to the model or it also improves adhesion?

:)
They kind of go hand in hand.
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/
NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by NCC1966 »

Sometimes I get a bit confused with some expessions. Do you mean that it does well both things - conforming and adhesion?
Thanks,

Yan.
trekriffic
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by trekriffic »

NCC1966 wrote:Sometimes I get a bit confused with some expessions. Do you mean that it does well both things - conforming and adhesion?
Yessir! Promotes adhesion and conformation.

NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by NCC1966 »

Thanks Trekriffic! I am not a big fan of decal additives. Some time ago I had a struggle with Microsol/Microset that ended with both bottles being dumped. Nonetheless the decals are SO bad lately that I am looking for some kind of alternative. These days I am using the good old trick of apply the decal, dry it with a paper towel and immediately apply a coat of white glue with a brush to seal and fix it in place but honesty this is not the ideal scenario for me. It works reasonably well but it's not the resource you can use in a contest model if you can get me. That's why I am thinking of give a try to this Solvaset.

:roll:

Funny question... does Microsol family suffer of expiration? My bottles that ended in the trashcan had around 10 years (and almost full) so I am not sure if they weren't working well because their age. I guess not but who knows? I raised in a time when things hadn't expiration date and when you opened canned food you just checked the appearance and gave a good smell. If it looked/smelled nice you ate it, otherwise you took it back to the grocery store, showed to the owner and picked a new can! Good times! Good times!

:lol:
Thanks,

Yan.
Commodore Red
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by Commodore Red »

I too have mixed results in Micro Sol and Micro set both in the Starship modeling field and with my model railroad projects. Solvaset however never fails me..... I use a brus to apply some to the area that the decal is going on.....then apply the decals...then blot it with a clean paper towel then brush coat it again.....works for me and I print my own decals on the paper that Micromark sells......
trekriffic
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by trekriffic »

Commodore Red wrote:I too have mixed results in Micro Sol and Micro set both in the Starship modeling field and with my model railroad projects. Solvaset however never fails me..... I use a brus to apply some to the area that the decal is going on.....then apply the decals...then blot it with a clean paper towel then brush coat it again.....works for me and I print my own decals on the paper that Micromark sells......
You must be using some high quality paper. Solvaset is pretty strong and I'd be afraid of wrecking the decal if I tried brushing on too much too soon, at least with the thinner, fragile Round 2 decals I've been abused by in the past.

Commodore Red
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by Commodore Red »

I can't complain about it.....I have used both the clear and white carriers on all sorts of projects and never had a bad result that wasn;t because I did something wrong or stupid.........
Cosmotiger
Lighting Fast Lieutenant JG
Lighting Fast Lieutenant JG

Post by Cosmotiger »

I farted around with the nacelles a little today. I think I'm loosing my enthusiasm for this build.
I still want to build a movie Enterprise in 1/1000, but I'm starting to question whether covering the entire ship with decals is are the best way to replicate the aztec pattern.

Obviously, using something like the Aztek Dummy masks would be pretty expensive, lenghty and complicated approach, but I feel like a painted pattern combined with decals on a few select areas would probably give me an end result that I would be happier with. Which would mean buying another kit and starting over... So I don't know, I'm going to let this rest and work on an airplane model for a while. Then come back to this and reassess.
NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by NCC1966 »

I wish you the best luck as possible if you decide to go for the decals because my experience with those R2 aztec ones for the 1/1000 refit Enterprise were a hundred percent frustrating.
Thanks,

Yan.

Return to “1/1000”