Getting started

For everything Star Trek related, that isn't covered by the other forums.
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Re: Getting started

Post by Moongrim »

mophius wrote:There it is, now I can get started.

Well, after I tell the wife.
May I suggest you get her some flowers before you spring the news on her? Flowers first, wait an hour or so, leave model lying about in plain sight....
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.
trekriffic
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by trekriffic »

Moongrim wrote:
mophius wrote:There it is, now I can get started.

Well, after I tell the wife.
May I suggest you get her some flowers before you spring the news on her? Flowers first, wait an hour or so, leave model lying about in plain sight....
Excellent idea Moongrim! :lol:
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/
mophius
Crafty Captain
Crafty Captain

Post by mophius »

Last delivery in and the wife knows now so tonight will be busy unwrapping and cleaning up.
Attachments
IMG_20170112_104207989.jpg
There is no dark side of the moon really, matter of fact its all dark.
trekriffic
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by trekriffic »

mophius wrote:Last delivery in and the wife knows now so tonight will be busy unwrapping and cleaning up.
Yes cleaning up is important. Get all the oils off your hands, oh, and scrub the parts with some dish soap and warm water while you're at it to get rid of the mold release. ;)
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by Moongrim »

trekriffic wrote:
mophius wrote:Last delivery in and the wife knows now so tonight will be busy unwrapping and cleaning up.
Yes cleaning up is important. Get all the oils off your hands, oh, and scrub the parts with some dish soap and warm water while you're at it to get rid of the mold release. ;)
Particularly important to do so before kissing the wife afterwards.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.
mophius
Crafty Captain
Crafty Captain

Post by mophius »

I decided to start getting my Reliant ready for assembly and found that my shuttle bay part has been bent and has started to discolour along the middle of the port shuttlebay. I have sort of bent it back into shape although the discolouration is still there. It does stand proud of the top of the saucer section though.
I have put the saucer section together and placed the shuttlebay part in as it should be fitted. I have also placed an elastic band tought around the bent section and placed it on a teatowel in the radiator to help soften it a little. When it has been on the a couple of hours i will take it off and let it cool naturally then remove the elastic band to see how it does.
Other than that the only thing I can try is to glue the bent part in place and let it set overnight then glue the other side on using capillary and elastic band it again to set it in place.
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by Moongrim »

mophius wrote:I decided to start getting my Reliant ready for assembly and found that my shuttle bay part has been bent and has started to discolour along the middle of the port shuttlebay. I have sort of bent it back into shape although the discolouration is still there. It does stand proud of the top of the saucer section though.
I have put the saucer section together and placed the shuttlebay part in as it should be fitted. I have also placed an elastic band tought around the bent section and placed it on a teatowel in the radiator to help soften it a little. When it has been on the a couple of hours i will take it off and let it cool naturally then remove the elastic band to see how it does.
Other than that the only thing I can try is to glue the bent part in place and let it set overnight then glue the other side on using capillary and elastic band it again to set it in place.
The bent part? One way to straighten it is to use boiling water and cold water.
Get some water boiling hot, dip the bent part into it for a second or two- straighten it out- then dip that in the cool water. The heat will soften the plastic, and of course the cold will solidify it.

Of course you have to be careful with it- as A) too long in the hot will make everything melt, and B) scalding yourself.
- J.L.Picard.
TonyG2
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by TonyG2 »

The bent part? One way to straighten it is to use boiling water and cold water.
Get some water boiling hot, dip the bent part into it for a second or two- straighten it out- then dip that in the cool water. The heat will soften the plastic, and of course the cold will solidify it.
An added twist is to use some metal brackets and a clamp. Again, you have to be careful not to be too enthusiastic. I use some old bits of Meccano and one or more small G Clamps or, failing that a couple of "clothes peg" style sprung clamps. Sandwich the part between the meccano parts and hold them in place with the clamps.

Clamps may be something like these

Drop into the hot water and the recover after a short period. If using the G Clamps, you can tighten then up a bit. The spring clamps will often clamp down under the pressure of the spring. Dunk into cold water and then see if you have achieved the required result. Repeat as necessary. I have used this to straighten warped (no pun intended) nacelles.
mophius
Crafty Captain
Crafty Captain

Post by mophius »

Oops, I been naughty.
Got these and another TMP set today as I am unhappy with my Reliant. It also gives me more kitbash fodder and a K't'inga to be made ss Quo'nos One.
DSC_0001.JPG
Apart from NX that is the Enterprise collection done.
NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by NCC1966 »

Cool! A lot of fun on the way then!

:mrgreen:

I had the BCE box and only managed to build the "E" ship (I sold the "B" untouched because I don't like it too much and the "C" partially built/painted because I didn't like how it was coming along). Anyway the decal sheet that comes with this kit is VERY poor so I advise you to use instead the BIG nice sheet that comes in the Cadet series box. If you want I can send you the scanner file then you can print it in decal paper.

:)
Thanks,

Yan.

Return to “General Trek”