Prepare to be Assimilated... 2500 Canon Borg Vessels!

The place for all things related to the "sacred scale".
Resin-Modeller
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Prepare to be Assimilated... 2500 Canon Borg Vessels!

Post by Resin-Modeller »

I'm building a cube!!!

LOL No I'm not, can you imagine - that thing would be stupidly big...

Joking aside, I want some Borg vessels in 2500. I previously made a 1400 Coffin from Dark Frontier which was popular, and I'm currently looking at making one in 3D for 2500 but after watching Dark Frontier...

Well... my ambition has been grand as some of you may know, perhaps grand enough for a queen perhaps?

Okay so I'm toying with the idea of building a Borg Diamond. I've been looking online for scale and there are so many different dimensions. Some say its 1000 metres wide, some say it's closer to 400. The mean consensus seems to be between 480-600 metres.

So I did some print outs and compared to my Nemesis E-E for comparison in terms of length.

It holds well with 1400 too:

There is a scene in Dark Frontier where the Delta Flyer and Diamond are in shot together, and comparing the smaller image of the 1400 with my 1400 Flyer they seem pretty close...

What I'd love to know from you guys is:

1. Would you want a Borg Diamond as a potential centre piece of your collection?
2. Would you want it hollow to light up?
3. Need a size consensus... (My 2500 Voyager is about as long as the 2500 Ent-E Saucer for comparison)

Will make a decision soon pending interest on here and will post on some of the Facebook model groups I'm part of too that may peak interest as I would forecast this potentially being a cheap print (If I can roughly model 1/4 of it and clone the rest) but a headache to get it to fit properly.

Ad'
RESIN MODELLER

1/2500 and 1/1400 Scale Star Trek Modeller. New Models monthly.
Full listings can be found here and are dispatched across the globe!
peted79
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Re: Prepare to be Assimilated... 2500 Canon Borg Vessels!

Post by peted79 »

I would be absolutely interested... ;)
mophius
Crafty Captain
Crafty Captain

Post by mophius »

Aye, count me as one or two as would like to start lighting
There is no dark side of the moon really, matter of fact its all dark.
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato »

I'd love to see this as a model. I'm not sure whether the demand will justify the investment given the size of this beast (it's huge regardless of which measurement you go by)
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.
WarpNein
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by WarpNein »

Beautiful diagram. This would make a great model. I prefer its scale compared to the E-E, but that's just me.
Last edited by WarpNein on Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral »

It can be done as plates so the center is hollow. Less materiel needed.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.
Kratok
Perhaps today IS a good day to model

Post by Kratok »

This is a 2500 Grail kit for me. This, a 2500 D'deridex, and a 2500 Dominion battleship.

I watched drooling when we had the 1400(ish) version thread some months back. This ship is better suited in terms of display space to sit with a 2500 scale collection, for sure.
Tesral wrote:It can be done as plates so the center is hollow. Less materiel needed.
Agreed. It would be a fairly easy 3D build for a talented 3D modeler like yourself. There are really only a handful of components, duplicated and rotated around the central axis. SHould be a reasonably quick build.

Problem would be casting. The fiddly details and undercuts would EAT molds. I doubt you would get more than a few castings before the mold started to burn out. You would HAVE to pressure cast this as well. And keeping these thin pieces flat in conventional casting would be a bear, making alignment and assembly a real challenge as well.

Easy fix: Don't mold it - upload the models to Shapeways, and let folks print their own. The inexpensive default material WSF would be FINE for this - in fact, the slightly rough texture would add another level of detail and a place for green washes to settle and simulate lighting.

Keep the parts sizes small, let folks know how many of each piece they need to build a finished kit, and avoid all the production/marketing/casting/distribution headaches.

Super-excited that someone is even considering this. You dream big, but you also put out very nice 3D work. I hope you can make this a reality. I am SO on board if you can do this, ESPECIALLY if you go the Shapeways route.

Keep us posted.
Kratok

Post by Kratok »

Oh, and I dont care about clear or lighting possibilities. Static is fine with me. I just want a good sized Borg ship in the fleet - they are terribly underrepresented.
Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral »

Kratok wrote:Oh, and I dont care about clear or lighting possibilities. Static is fine with me. I just want a good sized Borg ship in the fleet - they are terribly underrepresented.
And if Shapeways people can pick clear if they wish.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.
Resin-Modeller
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Resin-Modeller »

I was partially thinking of casting in two materials, the sorta crumbly wsf or another material whatever it's called for the smooth parts as the grain effect would potentially look metallic if painted in colours and ultra frosted detail for the actual detail like wires aerials etc etc
RESIN MODELLER

1/2500 and 1/1400 Scale Star Trek Modeller. New Models monthly.
Full listings can be found here and are dispatched across the globe!

Return to “1/2500”