50x50=2500, 2 Round 2 (pic heavy)

The place for all things related to the "sacred scale".
slawton
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Re: 50x50=2500, Round 2 (pic heavy)

Post by slawton »

I'm having trouble making a decision on colors. For the "star" Federation base (see previous post), I intend to paint it gloss black (to match my previous painted bases), but different colors for the outline (white? silver?) and the Federation logo with the "United Federation of Planets: Starfleet Command" text. For the artwork version, I intend to paint the "wings" gold/copper and the "chevron" silver, probably black outline & text, not sure yet Federation logo yet on that one. I also have 3 of the "Star Trek" in ovals for the flight display base (even though I only have 2 flight displays) that may also need to be color coordinated:
IMG_1100.JPG
Next, there's the plaques that have some ship info. I presume the decal is to be placed on the inside of the plaque (where there is an indentation, even though these had unwanted circular pads from the moldings). What color should I paint these? Does the entire decal (with black outline) get put in? If so, with all that clear decal, is this highly susceptible to silvering? If so, how do I correct it? Were these plaques to be attached to the base - if so, where?
Plaques.jpg
Last edited by slawton on Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm a modeler, not a doctor...

Introduction
Galleries: Member, Comparison, Fleet, Action, Manufacturer
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato »

When I built my base 20+ years ago I used the inside part of the plaque. I painted all of it black, not just the frame. I also sanded the indents as flush as I could. These efforts and the paint plus the decal do a decent job covering the indents.

One maddening thing is that the inside frames of the plaque are rounded but the decals has a framed square. :x
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.
trek3159
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by trek3159 »

Is that maddening as "makes you mad", or "drives you mad" ? I'm sorry, but inquiring minds want to know.... :D
Greyryder
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Greyryder »

trek3159 wrote:Is that maddening as "makes you mad", or "drives you mad" ? I'm sorry, but inquiring minds want to know.... :D
Yes. ;)
slawton
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by slawton »

trek3159 wrote:Is that maddening as "makes you mad", or "drives you mad" ? I'm sorry, but inquiring minds want to know.... :D
It's elementary, my dear Watson. I deduce "yes" to both. By the context, it clearly makes him angry. Seeing he believes that he is a feline, it also has clearly contributed to his madness (along with modeling in general).

Just keep him away from the catnip! :stonerbanana:

Introduction
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato »

Greyryder wrote:
Yes. ;)
Yes
slawton wrote:
It's elementary, my dear Watson. I deduce "yes" to both. By the context, it clearly makes him angry. Seeing he believes that he is a feline, it also has clearly contributed to his madness (along with modeling in general).

Just keep him away from the catnip! :stonerbanana:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.
slawton
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by slawton »

No finished models yet to post, but got some practice on bases, etc.:
IMG_1103.JPG
I used Testors gloss paints (Black, White, Red, Green, Dark Blue, Metallic Silver & Metallic Gold), some rattlecan black (Rustoleum & Krylon) with some Sharpie (black, blue, silver, gold) touch-ups.

Base on el gato's comments, I squared off the round corners of the plaques. On the base Federation Logo, I did gray & white undercoats with a thin blue on top to achieve a non-uniform "milky way" effect.

Recommendations:
  • Paint the interior Federation logo stuff before gluing on the stands/legs
    Use dry-brush technique on "United Federation.." lettering
    Use Sharpies for wheat, ring, stars, etc. if possible

Introduction
slawton
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by slawton »

1-2. Defiant (x2)

Here's a picture of a couple of finished AMT/Round2 Defiants with some alternates:
Defiants.jpg
On the top left is an unfinished Scifi Spaceship Miniatures version which I picked up a while age - it is slightly smaller than the AMT/Round 2 version with less detail and much fewer decals. The bottom left is an oversized Furuta (I believe) version toy. On the far right are a pair of some unfinished gifts (I'm guessing F-Toys), which are more detailed but have no decals. That leaves the AMT/Round 2 ones in the middle. The 2 on the left are finished with the top one painted a light/medium gray (I like this look better than the original blue). I struggled with the decals - they would not lay tight to the surface and tended to be brittle and cracked/split on me far too often.
Last edited by slawton on Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Introduction
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato »

What names are you using for yours? I have about 5 or 6 Defiants. Of course there's the NX Defiant and the NCC Defiant and the Valiant, a name I used to name a Defiant concept model. That still leaves me with a lot of ships with too few names
slawton
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by slawton »

el gato wrote:What names are you using for yours? I have about 5 or 6 Defiants. Of course there's the NX Defiant and the NCC Defiant and the Valiant, a name I used to name a Defiant concept model. That still leaves me with a lot of ships with too few names
I hear you... One is for my brother. I'll probably make a wreck version (victim of the Breen/Dominion). I'd like to do a Valiant but I don't have decals yet. I'd also like to redo the "official" Defiant since my decaling was sub-par.

Introduction

Return to “1/2500”