Opinions on raised grid lines: sand or leave?

The place for all things related to the "sacred scale".
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Re: Opinions on raised grid lines: sand or leave?

Postby el gato » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:53 am

Tesral wrote:
el gato wrote:Sand them off! Sand them off! Kill them with fire!

Actually don't. Fire will destroy your model :P

Then again, it's the Ent B, go ahead. :twisted:

Come come, Mr. Tesral. Young minds, fresh ideas. Be tolerant
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

Tesral
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Postby Tesral » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:13 am

el gato wrote:Come come, Mr. Tesral. Young minds, fresh ideas. Be tolerant

The more I think about the Excelsior family, the less I like it. It might be canon, but it is not a good design.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

Greyryder
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby Greyryder » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:53 am

If you're doing wallpaper decals, you'll definitely want to get rid of the raised lines. I wish they'd give us nice fine engraved lines, but they prefer to give us border walls, and trenches you could fly a snub fighter through.

To be honest, at this scale, the grid lines wouldn't even be visible. But, if you leave them off, it doesn't look right.

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Postby el gato » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:48 pm

Tesral wrote:
el gato wrote:Come come, Mr. Tesral. Young minds, fresh ideas. Be tolerant

The more I think about the Excelsior family, the less I like it. It might be canon, but it is not a good design.

Initially I did not like it at all. Among the modeler ranks I was an outcast for voicing my opinion. The Excelsior Refit is better, relatively speaking, in my eyes even though the reasons* for the changes to it were objectively stupid. Diehard Excelsiorites *hate* the Excelsior Refit because it "ruins the lines," whatever that means. Again, for voicing THAT opinion I was an outcast. At this point I can't win.

* Berman & Braga didn't want the B to be an Excelsior Class, they wanted a different design for it. After they were told it was effectively "canon" that the B was an Excelsior Class, they reportedly wanted to make those changes to suggest that the Excelsior Class was "morphing" into the Galaxy. Idiots.
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

Cosmotiger
Lighting Fast Lieutenant JG

Postby Cosmotiger » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:36 pm

Oh come on guys! :redcussing: Ah well, I guess I kinda knew "sand em all" would be the answer.

The new NX-01 does have recessed lines though. Exaggerated for the scale, but that's still better than raised.

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Postby el gato » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:30 pm

Cosmotiger wrote:Oh come on guys! :redcussing: Ah well, I guess I kinda knew "sand em all" would be the answer.

The new NX-01 does have recessed lines though. Exaggerated for the scale, but that's still better than raised.

Whaaa? We gave you an answer, sand 'em off. Some gave you tips (careful with the E-B nacelles, use X-acto to trim before sanding).

You don't have to follow these guidelines, they are YOUR models after all. If you want to leave the raised gridlines, you are free to do so. I've seen people leave them and decal their models, with varying degrees of success. Just note that placing a decal on top of raised gridlines will complicate the process.

trekriffic
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Postby trekriffic » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:26 pm

Guys, I think Cosmotiger may have "crossed the (grid) line" with his use of the :redcussing: smily eh?

:grouphug:
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Postby el gato » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:55 pm

Admittedly we started veering from the topic and I was one person with a hand on the wheel. Still, before we got off track, I thought we had shared our thoughts on his question. Eight people had delivered a unanimous opinion: Sand the grid lines off. No one ignored him. The use of the curse smilie was, I think, unwarranted.

Cosmotiger

Postby Cosmotiger » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:43 pm

Whoops. Sorry. The cursing smiley was meant to indicate my irritation with the raised panel lines, it was NOT directed at anyone who gave their opinion, which I appreciate. I was not clear, and I didn't mean to come off as a jerk. :oops:

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Postby el gato » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:02 pm

No worries. Intent is hard to figure out when the interaction is not in person. I share your frustration about having to sand those buggers off. That someone at some point thought adding those to the model was a good idea baffles me

Return to “1/2500”