TOS-E WIP

The place for all things related to the "sacred scale".
User avatar
mophius
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain
Posts: 569
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:04 am

Re: TOS-E WIP

Postby mophius » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:32 pm

I do need to make some decals for my KBoP so will put these on the list to make. I will also get less wasted paper this way :)
As it is I am going to cut my A4 sheets down the 6"x 4" to avoid wasting as much. When I printed out my Reliant decals that was on a full A4 sheet which wasted about half a sheet
There is no dark side of the moon really, matter of fact its all dark.

Imgur

User avatar
Tesral
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Posts: 2676
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:58 pm
Location: Dearborn, Mi -- at my desk.
Contact:

Re: TOS-E WIP

Postby Tesral » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:43 pm

mophius wrote:I do need to make some decals for my KBoP so will put these on the list to make. I will also get less wasted paper this way :)
As it is I am going to cut my A4 sheets down the 6"x 4" to avoid wasting as much. When I printed out my Reliant decals that was on a full A4 sheet which wasted about half a sheet


I keep all the decals along the top, and adjust the paper size in the settings.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

User avatar
MEATLOAFr
Rampaging Rear Admiral (LH)
Rampaging Rear Admiral (LH)
Posts: 1748
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:46 pm
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska

Re: TOS-E WIP

Postby MEATLOAFr » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:41 pm

Tesral wrote:
mophius wrote:I do need to make some decals for my KBoP so will put these on the list to make. I will also get less wasted paper this way :)
As it is I am going to cut my A4 sheets down the 6"x 4" to avoid wasting as much. When I printed out my Reliant decals that was on a full A4 sheet which wasted about half a sheet


I keep all the decals along the top, and adjust the paper size in the settings.


that's what I do, might !!!!!!!! off the printer a little if it runs out of paper before it thinks it should
If the world ends tomorrow, it's ALL YOUR FAULT!!!

User avatar
mophius
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain
Posts: 569
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:04 am

Re: TOS-E WIP

Postby mophius » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:00 pm

Some decals went on tonight. I went to put the pylon regulator vent decals and realised I should have chopped them into four as they don't line up with the grills that are moulded on the pylons.
Same with the window decals on the bottom of the saucer. I did manage to cut them when they were wet on the saucer without tearing them though so could get them better in line with the rings that are moulded on.
DSC_0011.JPG

DSC_0014.JPG

DSC_0013.JPG

DSC_0012.JPG
There is no dark side of the moon really, matter of fact its all dark.

Imgur

User avatar
Tesral
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Posts: 2676
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:58 pm
Location: Dearborn, Mi -- at my desk.
Contact:

Re: TOS-E WIP

Postby Tesral » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:59 am

I need to drag another of these out and do a better job. The one on the shelf stinks.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

User avatar
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Posts: 5228
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:41 pm
Location: In a land whose boundaries are that of imagination

Re: TOS-E WIP

Postby el gato » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:59 am

I'm with you Tesral. Overall I'm happy with mine, but I can do better.
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

User avatar
mophius
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain
Posts: 569
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:04 am

Re: TOS-E WIP

Postby mophius » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:17 pm

Having trouble gettig a couple of decals to stick down on this. Can I use Microset to soften the decal then use watered down PVA glue to hold them on?
I did use microset to base the decals on to help them adhere but some of the edges are curling away especially on the nacelles and secondaey hull which are curved.

Last couple of builds I have been lucky to get away with not using the Microstuffs and all but one or two have stayed in place.
I don't think that the rattlecan glosscoat is helping at all as it doesn't let metallic paints cover nicely they gloop up. and same for water on the gloss it really does sit together in drops and not spread flatly.
I will have to get my Finish out to go over models in the future
There is no dark side of the moon really, matter of fact its all dark.

Imgur

User avatar
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Posts: 5228
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:41 pm
Location: In a land whose boundaries are that of imagination

Re: TOS-E WIP

Postby el gato » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:24 am

That is weird. Usually Microsol works for me. I have Microset, but I have yet to use it. Could it be the decal paper you're using? For those experts who print decals, what is your product of choice?
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

User avatar
mophius
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain
Posts: 569
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:04 am

Re: TOS-E WIP

Postby mophius » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:49 am

This is the original decals from the TOS three ship set


EDIT
I do mean the cadet series but yes the age could be a factor as I believe it was about 6 months ago when I coated them with liquid decal. Kit was purchased in January which it was sealed then.
Last edited by mophius on Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is no dark side of the moon really, matter of fact its all dark.

Imgur

User avatar
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Posts: 5228
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:41 pm
Location: In a land whose boundaries are that of imagination

Re: TOS-E WIP

Postby el gato » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:27 pm

Ah. In that case, the age of the decals could be a factor
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.


Return to “1/2500”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Reaper and 45 guests