TOS-E WIP

The place for all things related to the "sacred scale".
mophius
Crafty Captain
Crafty Captain

Re: TOS-E WIP

Postby mophius » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:47 pm

Ok work is now back on target for this little gem.
Yesterday i trimmed nacelles and put end caps on, today I made the join tidy and stuck them to the pylons. Polystyrene cement used ;)
Trimmed the neck and stuck the saucer on as well tonight.
Again polystyrene cement was used :lol:
Nacelles are sitting nicely in line but one is higher than the other. Methinks this is due to poor positioning of the pylons as the secondary hull went together. Lesson learned as saved for next time.
DSC_0248.JPG

DSC_0246.JPG

DSC_0247.JPG

Tomorrow I will take to work and put a nice coat of white primer on to see if there is anything that needs attention before I go full colour.
There is no dark side of the moon really, matter of fact its all dark.

Imgur
Shapeways Shop

trekriffic
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Postby trekriffic » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:00 pm

Too bad about the port nacelle being a little higher than the other. You might be able to heat the base of the pylon joint using a hair drier then bent it ever so slightly down until it aligns.
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Postby el gato » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:16 am

What trekriffic said. It seems like a fixable problem if it bugs you. If it doesn't, then you're good
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

mophius
Crafty Captain
Crafty Captain

Postby mophius » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:48 pm

Took this beauty to work today to give it a coat of primer. Well, two coats went on and then some grey that I had. It is a bit dark really for TOS era ships probably more suited to TNG era but hey-ho. It looks good in my eyes. :)

DSC_0251.JPG

DSC_0250.JPG

I am going to wait until tomorrow night for any further detailing as the paint was still a little soft.

Imgur
Shapeways Shop

mophius
Crafty Captain
Crafty Captain

Postby mophius » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:57 pm

Pictures in my normal kitchen light.
DSC_0257.JPG

DSC_0258.JPG

Imgur
Shapeways Shop

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Postby el gato » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:36 am

:thumbsup:
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

mophius
Crafty Captain
Crafty Captain

Postby mophius » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:17 pm

Detailing tonight.
Bussards, end caps and other parts on nacelles. Deflector dish and housing. Shuttlebay doors and Impulse engine. Bridge dome and sensor dome.
DSC_0261.JPG

DSC_0265.JPG

DSC_0264.JPG

DSC_0263.JPG

DSC_0262.JPG

Imgur
Shapeways Shop

trekriffic
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Postby trekriffic » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:22 pm

Lookin' good. I like the bussard dome color. Not the typical dark red I see so often. Now just lay on some fan blades and you'll really be cooking.

mophius
Crafty Captain
Crafty Captain

Postby mophius » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:11 pm

trekriffic wrote:Lookin' good. I like the bussard dome color. Not the typical dark red I see so often. Now just lay on some fan blades and you'll really be cooking.

Thanks, instead of underlying with a coat of bronze I thought I would try silver. It didn't come out too bad but I used a matt paint so it looks a little flat right now. I am going to give it a fan blade wash with orange so hopefully I don't mess it up.

Imgur
Shapeways Shop

trekriffic
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Postby trekriffic » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:45 pm

mophius wrote:
trekriffic wrote:Lookin' good. I like the bussard dome color. Not the typical dark red I see so often. Now just lay on some fan blades and you'll really be cooking.

Thanks, instead of underlying with a coat of bronze I thought I would try silver. It didn't come out too bad but I used a matt paint so it looks a little flat right now. I am going to give it a fan blade wash with orange so hopefully I don't mess it up.

You know what would work great for making fan blades in this scale is decals. If you could get ahold of some white decal paper (I use trimmings from the decal sheets meatloafr has printed for me) you can actually paint it with enamels. So you could paint the paper steel or aluminum and then use an exacto blade to make thin blade triangles for laying onto the domes. May be easier than masking and painting the blades on the bussards directly. Once the decals dry you could seal with Future before applying a semi-tranparent coat of light orange mixed with white (or other colors if you prefer) to mute the blade effect. Just a thought. I did something similar with my own 1/2500 Enterprise but I painted the blades on which looks OK but not as good as decals would look I think. Alternatively you could use a printer to print the blades onto decal paper if you have the skills for that.

Return to “1/2500”