1:2500 SPRINGFIELD

The place for all things related to the "sacred scale".
Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 1:2500 SPRINGFIELD

Post by Tesral »

I share your opinion here. you can over detail a model. I'm not a fan of the overly busy wall paper decals.

Whoot! Enterprise post!! :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana:
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.
Del
Starship Engineer
Starship Engineer

Post by Del »

Jason Abbadon wrote:I'm torn on aztec patterns for the Springfield- you'd almost see none of it at this scale if it were onscreen- but making the decals at maybe 30% opacity would look great and have a good scale effect, I think.

I leave the aztec off smaller ships like the Refit- it just looks like a toy to me when you can hardly see that stuff on the studio model!
I feel the same way about most Aztec patterns. They just weren't supposed to be very pronounced in the first place, and I do lower the opacity when I've worked with them. I'll see how they turn out when I get to building it and may adjust them as I try them out.

For those wondering about the kit, the upper pod is in clay awaiting rubber and the rest of the parts will be in clay and rubber in the next couple of days.
Multi-Verse Models - http://www.mvmodels.biz or find me on Facebook
Retail sales of kits from Design Anomaly, Kessel Run Kits, NorthTrek Creations, Alternate Paradigms, and more!
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato »

Jason Abbadon wrote:
Kratok wrote:Hey, Jason.
Nice to have you back with us. Hope to see some more of your work - always inspiring.
Thanks, man! I'm still around and making stuff- I've been rocking to 1/2256th Star Wars stuff for a while now- and yes, I have all the fighters from Shapeways! Nothing like trying to detail a 5mm X-Wing!

I recently got some great printed Runabouts and I'm decaling them this week-they even have the rollbar weapons pod!
WHOA! Both for the X-wings (going to have to look for those) and for the decals on a runabout! Would you consider putting those on the market?
Del wrote:For those wondering about the kit, the upper pod is in clay awaiting rubber and the rest of the parts will be in clay and rubber in the next couple of days.
:dancingbanana:
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.
Jason Abbadon
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Jason Abbadon »

elgato, the Runabout decals are literally just the top view and (maybe) the sides of the nose scaled to fit.
Nothing special- but I'm still tweaking it.
I'll post pics once I've got some done- work and bills and other "LIFE" annoyances have kept me away from modeling for FAR too long!

I've been inspired by Sir John Payne- he told me the secret to his building like fifty models a year (and with such skill!) is to just work on one project for ONE HOUR A NIGHT.
I said "That's insane! You'll never get anything done that way!"
So I had him committed under the Baker Act.

But then I thought about it and realised that John's right- an hour a night adds up- and I could really crank out a LOT in 365 hours! That's almost sixteen days!

Hmmm...gotta remember to have John de-committed. One of these days.

Anyway- does anyone else build STAR WARS in 1:2256th?
I ask because they really do look "right" next to 2500th Trek and because it's shown me some of the absurdities in Trek models- particularly the GIANT windows on the Galaxy class!
Maaaan- SW windows- the rounded-triangular kind which are 7' tall in scale are as nothing compared to the ones on the ventral saucer of the Galaxy! those must span several decks!

We need a SW thread! Maybe I'll snap a pic of a Runabout and the Millenium Falcon flying side by side- I think Odo in a Runabout could give Han and Chewie some pointers in an asteroid field!
andyh
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by andyh »

Jason Abbadon wrote: But then I thought about it and realised that John's right- an hour a night adds up- and I could really crank out a LOT in 365 hours! That's almost sixteen days!

I put in at least 2 to 3 hours a day and I still don't seem to make any headway :(

Andy
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato »

Jason Abbadon wrote:I've been inspired by Sir John Payne- he told me the secret to his building like fifty models a year (and with such skill!) is to just work on one project for ONE HOUR A NIGHT.
I said "That's insane! You'll never get anything done that way!"
So I had him committed under the Baker Act.

But then I thought about it and realised that John's right- an hour a night adds up- and I could really crank out a LOT in 365 hours! That's almost sixteen days!

Hmmm...gotta remember to have John de-committed. One of these days.
The key is consistently to carve that hour every day. I have a hard time doing that. For instance, right now I don't have a single hour of spare time. I probably won't have one for another week. It's almost easier to carve a three hour shift on any given Saturday.
Jason Abbadon wrote:Anyway- does anyone else build STAR WARS in 1:2256th?
I ask because they really do look "right" next to 2500th Trek and because it's shown me some of the absurdities in Trek models- particularly the GIANT windows on the Galaxy class!
Maaaan- SW windows- the rounded-triangular kind which are 7' tall in scale are as nothing compared to the ones on the ventral saucer of the Galaxy! those must span several decks!

We need a SW thread! Maybe I'll snap a pic of a Runabout and the Millenium Falcon flying side by side- I think Odo in a Runabout could give Han and Chewie some pointers in an asteroid field!
I sort of do only because the 2256 Anigrand Imperial Star Destroyer, Millennium Falcon and the Revell Republic SD are the closest I'll ever see Star Wars capital ships in 2500. I want to get more but some of those other ships (Mon Calimari, the Medical Frigate) are crazy expensive (the Anigrand is crazy expensive too but I got it for a price I couldn't refuse :blues: ). X-wings in 2256 are doable, though.

Back on topic:
Del wrote:For those wondering about the kit, the upper pod is in clay awaiting rubber and the rest of the parts will be in clay and rubber in the next couple of days.
:dancingbanana:
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.
Jason Abbadon
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Jason Abbadon »

All the types of fighters are already available through Shapeways- jroncho makes them all!
(just search "2256")

Other capital ships in that scale are:
Acclimator, Flurry, Dreadnought, Lancer, Tartan, various Mon Cal designs, the smaller Star Destroyer (the kind with the winglike bays on the sides).
Utar Ships makes a ton of great smallish sized designs- the Consular class, Blockade Runner, Correllian Corvettes-
There's also a bunch of ship designs coming- like (my favorite) The Coronet!

It's very much a blossoming scale- like when 2500th first took off from a lone kit into a full blown phenomena!
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by Moongrim »

Those are some tiny ships. Must be fun painting.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato »

Jason Abbadon wrote:All the types of fighters are already available through Shapeways- jroncho makes them all!
(just search "2256")
Thanks for the info, Jason!
Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral »

Moongrim wrote:Those are some tiny ships. Must be fun painting.
You need tiny painters with tiny paint brushes.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

Return to “1/2500”