What's in store for... aw, who's counting?

The place for all things related to the "sacred scale".
MadManMUC
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Re: What's in store for... aw, who's counting?

Post by MadManMUC »

el gato wrote:It was decided to change the Reliant to an entirely different class because TPTB came to the conclusion that audiences would be too dumb to tell the ships apart in the final climactic battle.
Well. Clearly an underestimation of the average Trek fan. Also, I would think the giant registry number on the saucer would be a dead giveaway as to which ship is which.
el gato wrote:Because the ILM guys/gals hated working with the Enterprise's filming model, they gleefully supported the idea to changing the Reliant to something else. Incidentally, this is why you rarely saw a Constitution Class starship in TNG (and those rare instances, stock footage was used).
As I recall, to only time we saw anything of a Constitution class on TNG was 'Best of Both Worlds — Part II', in the aftermath of Wolf 359. And, even then, it was a closeup of the front end a secondary hull.

In any case, ILM are no saints when it comes to Trek filming models, either; them and their penchant for greeblies. Urgh.
DANGER. SPACE DOORS ARE CLOSED.

"I saw it done on Discovery" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.
(With apologies to Tesral for nicking his sig. :mrgreen: )
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato »

MadManMUC wrote:
el gato wrote:Because the ILM guys/gals hated working with the Enterprise's filming model, they gleefully supported the idea to changing the Reliant to something else. Incidentally, this is why you rarely saw a Constitution Class starship in TNG (and those rare instances, stock footage was used).
As I recall, to only time we saw anything of a Constitution class on TNG was 'Best of Both Worlds — Part II', in the aftermath of Wolf 359. And, even then, it was a closeup of the front end a secondary hull.
That was my only recollection of seeing a Constitution Class as well. I hedged my bet in case someone piped in with contradictory information ;)
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.
SKO
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by SKO »

I believe they also refused to show the Constitution refit for the asinine reason that they believed if people saw it on tv they'd be less likely to watch it in theaters. The same logic was used to keep the Sovereign and even the Intrepid off DS9 (only breaking the rule once with the Bellerophon). Absolute idiocy if you ask me. Anybody watching a trek show is going to see the movies no matter what and fans would appreciate seeing the shared universe aspects like that.
Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral »

It has been my experience that people will expect of others what they themselves would do. By this criteria I cannot think highly of the intelligence, or cultural awareness, of the average Hollyweird producer.

Speaking for myself, but I have never seen a film to look at a given ship. I went in for a story.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.
Vahmp
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by Vahmp »

el gato wrote:Stop it! You're giving me too many ideas and then I'll want to build them all :lol:

I'm with you, I never considered the pod to be manned. I assumed it was used for both storage and for holding scientific equipment. Another assumption I had was that the dark front ventral area of the pod "opened" somehow, and if it did, it would have probe launchers :thinking:

Jason Abbadon wrote:Well, consider that probes are also shot from the torpedo launcer's rail system....I always figured the small hole/recess at the rear of the Oberth pod must have been a probe launcher.

I don't subscribe to the notion that the Oberth pod is manned- the pylons holding it on aren't thick enough to accommodate a turbolift and taking a ladder up and down several decks worth of climbing would be a nightmare.

On your build, you could always add a sprue that's split lengthwise and run it down the connecting pylon to represent a turbolift.

Or create a new connection point with the pod- maybe something that blends into the Phobos' split secondary hull!
You could make a truly unique class that way. Maybe greeble up the pod too....you could add a third deflector/sensor array!

You could even keep the torp pod and move it to where the planetary sensor is- and move the sensor to the bottom of the pod!
Well, in answering both of you.....
Yes there is one way, that both of you over looked.

Site to Site Transporter. I believe in that era, they already had that. :)
Laterz...
Vahmp
Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral »

Vahmp wrote:Well, in answering both of you.....

While it could be done, it would not be good practice. All areas of a ship should be accessible when you do not have access to technomagic. The Enterprise has interdeck gangways. The Turbiolifts can be damaged.

It is not a good design. I do not think it even attractive.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.
Vahmp
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by Vahmp »

Tesral wrote:

While it could be done, it would not be good practice. All areas of a ship should be accessible when you do not have access to technomagic. The Enterprise has interdeck gangways. The Turbiolifts can be damaged.

Well, I assumed that the Pylons were thick enough for a ladder or Jeffries Tubes if the power went out for any reason, giving manual access to and from it.
Laterz...
Vahmp
Jason Abbadon
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Jason Abbadon »

Vahmp wrote:
Tesral wrote:

Well, I assumed that the Pylons were thick enough for a ladder or Jeffries Tubes if the power went out for any reason, giving manual access to and from it.
Naw. Over at the Flare Sci Fi Forums, we broke the whole ship down by decks- based on the ship's length and known deck height, the Oberth needs to be 150 meters long to even get a ladder in there- and that would be a nightmare climb at odd angles of six or seven decks height!

Imagine you work in a basement that's buried six stories underground and you have to ladder down every day- and halfway, the ladder is at a 20 degree angle...

No, I think maybe it can be serviced by teams beaming in, but that it's generally unmanned.

It's just a big sensor and telescope....and kinky sex dungeon. That's why the Klingons really blew up the Oberth- the Oberth's skipper forgot the "safety word".

It was "banana" damn it! BANANA!!!!
MadManMUC
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by MadManMUC »

Jason Abbadon wrote:
Vahmp wrote:
Naw. Over at the Flare Sci Fi Forums, we broke the whole ship down by decks- based on the ship's length and known deck height, the Oberth needs to be 150 meters long to even get a ladder in there- and that would be a nightmare climb at odd angles of six or seven decks height!
It makes the design even more nonsensical, then, if your figures are correct.

On days an Oberth-class isn't getting blown up by Klingons, what happens if they have nacelle troubles requiring an engineering team to get in there? EVAs? Hell, even the NX-01 had interior nacelle access.

This is what happens when you give Trek to ILM, kids*.

*OK, OK, they did give us the BoP. But still.
DANGER. SPACE DOORS ARE CLOSED.

"I saw it done on Discovery" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.
(With apologies to Tesral for nicking his sig. :mrgreen: )
Jason Abbadon
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Jason Abbadon »

Um...the nacelles on the Oberth are those bumps on either side of the circular part of the primary hull.
They can be serviced easier than on probably any other Feddie design of the movie era.

I think those flush vents along the pod are for analysis of gasses- used for sucking up gasses, not expelling them.

Personally, I LOVE the Oberth- it's weird and unique and I'd love to see a TNG version of it....
Maybe using the saucer from a New Orleans...

Return to “1/2500”