Considering a Return to Kit Production

The place for all things related to the "sacred scale".
Jason Abbadon
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander
Posts: 498
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:53 am

Re: Considering a Return to Kit Production

Postby Jason Abbadon » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:13 am

Tim! Holy crap!

Anyone hear from Tim since last year? Talk about your legends of the Sacred Scale....wow.
His Stargazer remains a gem in my collection- though I did swap the nacelles with the Futara ones.

Griffworks
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander
Posts: 491
Joined: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:57 am
Location: Central Arkansas

Re: Considering a Return to Kit Production

Postby Griffworks » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:19 pm

Yes, we have. Just not in this sub-forum. Tim posted back in August of this year in the Misc Forum.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4526

Jason Abbadon
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander
Posts: 498
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:53 am

Re: Considering a Return to Kit Production

Postby Jason Abbadon » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:48 pm

Griffworks wrote:Yes, we have. Just not in this sub-forum. Tim posted back in August of this year in the Misc Forum.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4526

Thanks! I knew Tim had some health issues and had feared the worst for some time.
It's always good to be proven wrong in our worst fears, y'know?

tmlindsey
Lighting Fast Lieutenant JG
Lighting Fast Lieutenant JG
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue May 21, 2013 12:22 am

Re: Considering a Return to Kit Production

Postby tmlindsey » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:13 am

Hi Jason and thanks for the kind words :)

Sorry to be MIA again. Right after I lost my job in Dec 2016 and was considering a return to kits, I was asked to submit some pieces for some art gallery shows. I did three pieces and have been working on two more for the last few months before being slowed down by a rear-end accident in August that I am still being treated for :cry:

I did some molds of the new gallery pieces and am not at all impressed with the Smooth-On "No Vacuum" 17 silicone (doesn't work as advertised). So those molds are basically garbage/money wasted and I have to start over :x

I'm hoping in 2018 I can actually get back to some kind of normalcy. Whatever/whenever I decide to do resin kits again I will be announcing it here (and probably only here).

Thanks again and sorry to ramble :)

Tim L.
Tim L.

Griffworks
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander
Posts: 491
Joined: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:57 am
Location: Central Arkansas

Re: Considering a Return to Kit Production

Postby Griffworks » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:59 pm

Sorry to hear about both the accident and the Smooth-On problems. No bueno!

Did you contact Smooth-On about the issues you had? I know a few folks who had issues with their product and contacted SO. They had favorable responses, tho I don't recall for certain. I think at least one got a full credit, or perhaps SO sent them a fresh batch?

Anyhow, just a thought.

Jason Abbadon
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander
Posts: 498
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:53 am

Re: Considering a Return to Kit Production

Postby Jason Abbadon » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:19 pm

Great to see you, Tim!
I still value your Sydney, Olympic and Constellation as three of the best models in my collection- and I've got to have a hundred kits by now!

tmlindsey
Lighting Fast Lieutenant JG
Lighting Fast Lieutenant JG
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue May 21, 2013 12:22 am

Re: Considering a Return to Kit Production

Postby tmlindsey » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:06 pm

Jason Abbadon wrote:I still value your Sydney, Olympic and Constellation as three of the best models in my collection- and I've got to have a hundred kits by now!


Wow! That's extremely flattering :oops: Glad you're happy with them :)
Tim L.

tmlindsey
Lighting Fast Lieutenant JG
Lighting Fast Lieutenant JG
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue May 21, 2013 12:22 am

Re: Considering a Return to Kit Production

Postby tmlindsey » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:14 pm

Griffworks wrote:Did you contact Smooth-On about the issues you had?


Yep. Essentially the guy told me I didn't understand how to make molds and castings :lol: , then helpfully explained that if I was going to pressure cast, of course the molds would return bubbled castings :roll: . Which is the type of response I am used to getting from Smooth-On. Sadly, shipping is expensive enough I had to switch to them since they have closer locations.

Okay, Smooth-On Rant Mode: Disengaged.
Tim L.

User avatar
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Posts: 5371
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:41 pm
Location: In a land whose boundaries are that of imagination

Re: Considering a Return to Kit Production

Postby el gato » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:01 pm

tmlindsey wrote:
Griffworks wrote:Did you contact Smooth-On about the issues you had?


Yep. Essentially the guy told me I didn't understand how to make molds and castings :lol: , then helpfully explained that if I was going to pressure cast, of course the molds would return bubbled castings :roll: . Which is the type of response I am used to getting from Smooth-On. Sadly, shipping is expensive enough I had to switch to them since they have closer locations.

Okay, Smooth-On Rant Mode: Disengaged.


C'mon, Tim, let's be real. What would you know? And what made you think you'd know more than the recently-hired, minimum-wage-earning help desk operator who has likely never done more than a one-part mold cast in his/her life?

;) :lol:
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

User avatar
mophius
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain
Posts: 668
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:04 am

Re: Considering a Return to Kit Production

Postby mophius » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:06 pm

el gato wrote:
tmlindsey wrote:
Griffworks wrote:Did you contact Smooth-On about the issues you had?


Yep. Essentially the guy told me I didn't understand how to make molds and castings :lol: , then helpfully explained that if I was going to pressure cast, of course the molds would return bubbled castings :roll: . Which is the type of response I am used to getting from Smooth-On. Sadly, shipping is expensive enough I had to switch to them since they have closer locations.

Okay, Smooth-On Rant Mode: Disengaged.


C'mon, Tim, let's be real. What would you know? And what made you think you'd know more than the recently-hired, minimum-wage-earning help desk operator who has likely never done more than a one-part mold cast in his/her life?

;) :lol:

That much?
There is no dark side of the moon really, matter of fact its all dark.

Imgur


Return to “1/2500”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ap-trek, aphantom2518, kobayashimaru, mophius, shiftdel and 33 guests