Curious about Flex-O-Lite sheets

LEDs, fiber optics, etc - everything needed to "Make it Glow"
Hossfly72
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Curious about Flex-O-Lite sheets

Post by Hossfly72 »

With Christmas at FedEx over and done, I've had time to sit and play on the internet for a few hours and came across this stuff. https://flexolite.net/faq.htm
I read the FAQ's and they say they can cut it into a size of a small watch face. I've never lit a model before and can't remember high school science, but I was just wondering if some of you lighting guru's might have tried this stuff. Seems like it would be a lot more simple than trying to fit strings of LED's into a ship, especially the 1/2500 ones.
i don't know. I'm making it up as I go.
MEATLOAFr
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Re: Curious about Flex-O-Lite sheets

Post by MEATLOAFr »

good stuff, can be cut to any size, just need to have the two connectors available for the power

should be able to thin the plastic down on the areas you want to show, or light block - not sure how much light will pass thru the plastic
If the world ends tomorrow, it's ALL YOUR FAULT!!!
Custom Decals, and Vinyl Cutting services available
ABLE TO PRINT DECALS IN WHITE
NOW ABLE TO 3D PRINT SMALL SCALE MODELS (ANYCUBIC PHOTON & MONO X) have STL, will print!!
zookman
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by zookman »

best to email them first and see if it can be cut .. some sheets can and some cant .. i emailed one of the makers and they said theirs cant be cut to size ya have to order closest to size ya need on the small side .. am email is cheaper than getting some and then ruining it by cutting it
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato »

I would also ask how long is the life of the material. LEDs can last for a long time without burning out or losing luminosity. I don't know how long these last or whether they slowly lose brilliance over time.
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.
slawton
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by slawton »

el gato wrote:I would also ask how long is the life of the material. LEDs can last for a long time without burning out or losing luminosity. I don't know how long these last or whether they slowly lose brilliance over time.
While I can't say for sure, since the material itself (phosphor) generates the light, I would presume it is quite durable (similar to LEDs, unlike electric bulbs which tend to burn out the filament during the turn-on current spike).

I would think the lighting would be more evenly distributed than LEDs and good for wide viewing angles - should be very good for nacelles. Multiple layers with different lighting would make a cool deflector. I do not know about the costs, but expect it to be higher than LEDs and may not currently be small enough for the "sacred scale" ships, at least not the smaller ones. I'd suspect it would have more fading in/out unlike faster LED turn on/off.

Has anyone used this in a model? What were the results?
I'm a modeler, not a doctor...

Introduction
Galleries: Member, Comparison, Fleet, Action, Manufacturer
MadManMUC
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by MadManMUC »

Don from DLM seems to favour this (or did a few years ago, anyway, when he was posting to CultTV Man) for lighting his nacelles, and I can see why: no hotspots!
DANGER. SPACE DOORS ARE CLOSED.

"I saw it done on Discovery" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.
(With apologies to Tesral for nicking his sig. :mrgreen: )

Return to “Lighting”