Starcrafts 1/1400 scale Enterprise A

WiP, finished models and general 1/1400 chit chat.
novahobbies
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Starcrafts 1/1400 scale Enterprise A

Postby novahobbies » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:56 pm

My old Starcrafts Enterprise A was a decent build......I definitely like it for the skill level I was at during the time....but it's seen better days. I know I can do a better paint job, and there are some significant cracks around the pylons that just can't be hidden any more. It's time to address a few of those issues, and the best way to do that in this case is with a brand new kit. Thankfully Dennis still sells these, so I grabbed one a couple months ago. First think I decided to do was "review" this very long-lived model kit. :lol:

Retro-Review Starcrafts Enterprise A

And the past few days I've been building it up and documenting the build here:

Enterprise-A construction log

To nobody's surprise here, I'm going to use re-scaled Round2 decals again for the Aztecs, but I'm re-drawing some parts and working on color changes so the strongbacks are the blue shades of the Enterprise-A instead of the original green. I know I could probably buy new Round2 E-A decals and re-size those, but since I have to draw a lot of new parts anyway, I may as well just make use of this opportunity to try expanding my Corel and Adobe skills.

Here's a photo of the old E-A, taken about 10 years ago when she was cleaner and younger. She's showing her age these days. I don't think I'm going to bin this model though. Some day I may try repainting her and updating her to 24th century tech, complete with phaser strips and Enterprise-C era color scheme.

Kratok
Perhaps today IS a good day to model

Re: Starcrafts 1/1400 scale Enterprise A

Postby Kratok » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:21 pm

Nice review, and nice build log. Thanks for sharing.

All these years later, and I still haven't finished mine, so I am impressed that you are re-doing yours. I am worried about the possibility of eventual nacelle droop as well (part of the reason I haven't built this one), and am watching to see how your fix works out.

Still one of the prettiest ladies at the party. Enjoy your second dance with her.

novahobbies
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby novahobbies » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:48 pm

Well I tell ya what. After many years on the bench, my nacelles didn't really droop very much at all. Nothing like the TOS Enterprise (those puppies NEED reinforcement). The issue I would have with my E-A model, repeatedly, is a nacelle pylon would snap off after even a slight tumble. Once the small resin tab is broken, that's basically a wrap. And of course you can re-glue it, but it's never nearly as good a joint, and over time your glue joint starts to look like an arthritic knuckle.

So IMO you can glue the original model parts with 2-part epoxy, or you can pin the part, or both. Since I didn't have any 2-part on hand, I just pinned it. The extra brass strip was just to make DAMN sure it never droops.

I thought I was at the gloss coat and decal stage today, but after applying the first gloss coat last night, I saw imperfections in my putty job on the pylon tops that I just cannot ignore. So I have to go back and do some more putty work tonight. I'm changing putties....I've been using Vallejo's plastic putty, but I don't like how it sands, so I'm going to use some PPP instead. That stuff dries fast, too. I've done too much to this model already to leave her poor pylons looking like they have cellulite. :lol:

novahobbies
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby novahobbies » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:49 pm

Had a slight delay since we were celebrating Wife's 40th B'day, but the model is almost ready for decals! The pylons look good now, and the kit is shiny glossy. Need one more light coat of gloss on the bottom of the saucer and we'll be ready to dig in to those decals!

Kratok

Postby Kratok » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:52 am

Happy Birthday, Mrs Novahobbies!

novahobbies wrote:So IMO you can glue the original model parts with 2-part epoxy, or you can pin the part, or both. Since I didn't have any 2-part on hand, I just pinned it. The extra brass strip was just to make DAMN sure it never droops.

When I did my Starcrafts Constitution class build, I cut away the resin pylons, remade them from brass, and laminated the outside with thin styrene sheet to get it to the correct thickness. The whole assembly slid into the secondary hull as originally designed, and worked like a charm. Rock solid ever since.

Did something similar on a 1400 Excelsior variant I am building right now: Hollowed out the underside of the pylons, embedded a brass strip that spans from port to starboard, puttied over it and rebuilt the surface detail. Again, rock solid, perfectly in line, and will NEVER droop.

I've contemplated doing the same for the E-A. Replace the pylon with a brass core, carbide-scribed for the triangular vents, which would be represented with a thin styrene "skin" where the vent areas had been opened. But the slight curvature ("airfoil" just sounds wrong when discussing a starship) of the pylon always made me back away.

However, you have inspired me - I may finally go ahead and give this a try. Curious to see how it turns out.

Thanks!

novahobbies
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby novahobbies » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:38 am

20180208_224425-01.jpeg

Some airbrushing in the deflector....blue to sky blue.

novahobbies
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby novahobbies » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:11 pm

Goldfinger strikes again.

20180210_115917-01.jpeg

Return to “1/1400”