1/1400 AMT Enterprise-C (So it begins)

WiP, finished models and general 1/1400 chit chat.
Dingbat
Erratic Ensign
Erratic Ensign

Re: 1/1400 AMT Enterprise-C (So it begins)

Postby Dingbat » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:46 pm

Nice drawings MSgt! What size fibers are you planing on for the Nav/Anti-Colision lights? Origanally I was going to use some 1.8mm "butterfly" leds on my own build, but scaled out they were like 2.5m in diameter. Thats a big light! Now Im thinking .5mm fibers with blumed ends for a 30" scaled size diameter.

Do you think the blue led for the deflector dish will light some of the windows in the secondary hull? I guess you could make a dish inside to block the light. Maybe that EL trimable sheet? Something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00IMYGQ ... ec3fQXO5L#

MSgtUSAFRet
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby MSgtUSAFRet » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:46 pm

Ding,

Dingbat wrote:Nice drawings MSgt!

Thanks! I got some advice about the nacelle's blue lights being wired in parallel instead of in series - so they will have to be reworked a bit.

Dingbat wrote:What size fibers are you planing on for the Nav/Anti-Colision lights? Origanally I was going to use some 1.8mm "butterfly" leds on my own build, but scaled out they were like 2.5m in diameter. Thats a big light! Now Im thinking .5mm fibers with blumed ends for a 30" scaled size diameter.

I don't have 0.5mm FO right now, but I used 0.75mm on my Protector build and it seems to look okay. Looking at the size the model has for the Nav/Anti-Colision lights, 0.75mm may not be too far off. But I am going to an IPMS show in San Antonio in a few weeks and may be able to pick up some 0.5mm fiber to compare.

Dingbat wrote:Do you think the blue led for the deflector dish will light some of the windows in the secondary hull? I guess you could make a dish inside to block the light. Maybe that EL trimable sheet? Something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00IMYGQ ... ec3fQXO5L#

For this, I had intended to build a light box (more like light cone) to light the Deflector dish. On my breadboard, I have a clear blue 0.5mm LED but I may switch that out for a blue 0.3mm.

I saw a build, the thread was never finished, where a gentlemen used the EL sheet for his and it looked great.https://culttvman.com/main/building-the-enterprise-c-by-don-matthys-part-3/ If you decide to use the sheet, I would love to see what you do with it!

Since I am new to electronics and haven't progressed that far in my knowledge yet, I am gonna try and use a more "traditional" approach (light box and LED - very similar to what angryscifimodeler did here on AST. We'll see what I can do.

Thanks for the questions and suggestion!

Steve

novahobbies
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby novahobbies » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:54 pm

Here's a good idea of a few things that you SHOULDN'T do. I'm still pleased with this build, more or less, but I learned things in this build that I will be using in future lit kits.

First, look at the deflector. No filter back there, the deflector is lit from the same LEDs that light the secondary hull windows. And you can see the shadows of the wiring back in there, which is no good. Second, the bussards are lit with a single 5mm LED each. I drilled into the bussard and glued the LED in place. This makes the bussard too bright IMO. Next one I do is going to have 2 smaller LEDs to look like 2 collectors back there. 3mm max…maybe even 1.8mm LEDs will be fine. Also I made a BIG mistake with my nacelle engine grills. My idiot self decided to cut into the blue resin from the DLM part and set the LED in the hole I cut. This left 2 ridiculously bright hot spots. They aren’t as noticeable IRL compared to the photo, but they’re definitely there.
I built this before LED strip tape was really a thing. My next Ambassador build is going to be mostly tape, with just a few individual lights.

Dingbat
Erratic Ensign
Erratic Ensign

Postby Dingbat » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:23 pm

That sucks the lighting didnt come out the way you wanted Nova. Any chance of opening her up for some electrical surgery/re-fit?

Dr_Corsa
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Postby Dr_Corsa » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:13 pm

Hey,

just a little reminder: the impulce ingine on Ent-C was blue! All another ambassador class ships had a normal orange impulce.

Greeting,
Michael
Genuine decals addicted
1/1400 scale modeller

mophius
Crafty Captain
Crafty Captain

Postby mophius » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:20 pm

Cold fusion? :)
There is no dark side of the moon really, matter of fact its all dark.

Imgur
Shapeways Shop

Dr_Corsa
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Postby Dr_Corsa » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:26 pm

Better!
Genuine decals addicted
1/1400 scale modeller

SKO
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Postby SKO » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:43 pm

Dr_Corsa wrote:Hey,

just a little reminder: the impulce ingine on Ent-C was blue! All another ambassador class ships had a normal orange impulce.

Greeting,
Michael

That always bugged me and I flat out ignored that when I made mine. I convinced myself that was some weird low power setting due to the damage it had taken and that since I was building mine as a pristine, clean E-C that it would have a red impulse. There's enough blues and greys on federation ships to begin with that those little red impulse engines always offer a nice contrast.

novahobbies
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby novahobbies » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:10 pm

SKO wrote:
Dr_Corsa wrote:Hey,

Greeting,
Michael

That always bugged me and I flat out ignored that when I made mine. I convinced myself that was some weird low power setting due to the damage it had taken and that since I was building mine as a pristine, clean E-C that it would have a red impulse. There's enough blues and greys on federation ships to begin with that those little red impulse engines always offer a nice contrast.

Honestly I agree with SKO about this. Some things may be "screen accurate," but when you really ask yourself WHY and don't have a good answer, it's better to just go with your gut. Mine's red also. But you know....your model, your choice! :-D Make 'em green if you want and say it's powered by a Romulan core.

novahobbies
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby novahobbies » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:13 pm

Dingbat wrote:That sucks the lighting didnt come out the way you wanted Nova. Any chance of opening her up for some electrical surgery/re-fit?

Well it took some damage to the saucer a year ago due to a photon torpedo detonating under the rim....that or a candle that was too close, take your pick.....and then recently it suffered a fall that dislodged the female DC jack inside the secondary hull so the lighting is no longer working. I still have her on display, but I also have a new Ambassador class that I intend on building with the lower shuttlebay. I'm just waiting on the DLM parts for her. But I do think my original is salvageable, she'll just need some TLC.

Return to “1/1400”