1/1400 AMT Enterprise-C (So it begins)

WiP, finished models and general 1/1400 chit chat.
mophius
Crafty Captain
Crafty Captain

Re: 1/1400 AMT Enterprise-C (So it begins)

Postby mophius » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:44 pm

Yes I have one on my imitation dremel which is handy for tight areas.
There is no dark side of the moon really, matter of fact its all dark.

Imgur
Shapeways Shop

MSgtUSAFRet
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby MSgtUSAFRet » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:13 pm

trekriffic wrote:
MSgtUSAFRet wrote:I only got one section done before my hand gave out from holding the Dremel. (If any one knows of a smaller handpiece, lemme know as I could certainly use it instead of that five pound Dremel!)

Get yourself a flex shaft attachment like the one in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6ByDVSOTPc

I've used one for years with my Dremel and it's one of the best investments I've ever made.

OOOOOOooooooo! I will have to pop round and get one of these!

Thanks, trekriffic!

Dingbat
Erratic Ensign
Erratic Ensign

Postby Dingbat » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:50 pm

Hey MSgt
Im working on this model myself (along with several others) and this is what I did. Treat yourself with a Tamiya hobby drill:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000J46W ... ref=plSrch

It has a slower RPM than a dremmel which will give you more control. I tried a dremel with the flex shaft (awsome tool buy the way!) but found it's higher RPM caused the 1/32" bit to wobble causing control issues. Also, if you dont have them already, get the dremel collets #4485 they look diffrent than the two that come with the drill, but center up nice and turn the bits true.

I first used a sewing machine needle in a pin vise to "center punch" a divit in the top of the window. Drill it out and use another 1/32" bit in a pin vice as a saw to trim out the rest. You do have to be very gentle as you saw: drill bits arnt ment to have side pressure and will snap if you get too crazy! I did 12 at a time this way to break up the monotony and it wasnt too bad.

Hope Im not too late and that this helps some.

trekriffic
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Postby trekriffic » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:16 pm

Dingbat wrote:Hey MSgt
Im working on this model myself (along with several others) and this is what I did. Treat yourself with a Tamiya hobby drill:

Seconded. I have one of these Tamiya drills too. You definitely have better control at the slower speed of the Tamiya drill.
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/

Dingbat
Erratic Ensign
Erratic Ensign

Postby Dingbat » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:46 am

Whats your plan on lighting this baby? Are you going basic led circuits or Adriano controller? Im using a 12v 1A wall wart as a power supply on my build to light several pieces of led strips. Adrinos are waayyyyy to advanced for me. Im always interested on how others do their electronics since I seem to strugle with it. Are you planing on leds or fiber optic strands for the nav lights?

MSgtUSAFRet
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby MSgtUSAFRet » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:49 pm

Hey Everybody!

trekriffic wrote:
Dingbat wrote:Hey MSgt

Seconded. I have one of these Tamiya drills too. You definitely have better control at the slower speed of the Tamiya drill.

Dingbat and trekriffic, I will seriously consider it. Seeing as I have have already spent above my allotted budget for this month, I will probably have to wait a bit.

@Dingbat - as for lighting this for the main areas, I will be using 5mm bulbs in the secondary hull and and saucer, but the engines I'll use 3mm LEDs for the engine lights and 3mm colored lights for the running and formation lights.

Now that I am thinking of it. I could use a single white LED and color the ends of the fibers with the appropriate colors and maximize the limited space. I am still working it all out. Kinda focused on the windows.

I was able to get most of the dorsal saucer windows drilled out. Except for the B/C deck, those are a different size!

ImageFinished drilling ventral saucer.

Thanks for asking! It gets me thinking again! And thanks for all the recommendations! Keep em coming!

Steve

BTW @ Dingbat - are you showing your build here? It would be great to see someone else's take on the ship!

Dingbat
Erratic Ensign
Erratic Ensign

Postby Dingbat » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:00 pm

That sauser looks great MSgt! Thats alot of windows to power through.
I havent uploaded any pic of my build yet. My hobby time is pretty limited (two kids and a third on the way + job = not much time) and I confess I threw the brakes on when the Zevezda 1/2700 star destroyer came out. Ill snap some pics and get a thread going though.

MSgtUSAFRet
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby MSgtUSAFRet » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:02 pm

Dingbat wrote:That sauser looks great MSgt! Thats alot of windows to power through.
I havent uploaded any pic of my build yet. My hobby time is pretty limited (two kids and a third on the way + job = not much time) and I confess I threw the brakes on when the Zevezda 1/2700 star destroyer came out. Ill snap some pics and get a thread going though.

Dingbat, no pressure. A working Dad rarely has any time anyway! Just wanted to encourage the build!

So, most of the windows on the primary hull I did with the 0.70mm dental bur; which worked better than I'd hoped but I still have loads of clean up work to do. I did go to my local DIY store and picked up a Dremel flex shaft to hopefully fine tune the secondary hull. Maybe the smaller handpiece will allow me to be a little more precise in my drilling.

The B/C deck has smaller (skinnier) windows; closer to 0.50mm. So, back to the Pin vice.

Here's a couple of shots of the B/C deck in progress.

Image20180117_181313

Image20180117_181324

I'm happier with how these turned out than I am with the saucer windows. I took a page from dentistry and cut a very thin strip of 600 grit sandpaper and threaded it through the window. After a couple of pulls, it seems to have cleaned up the edges. I know they're not perfect, but they're closer than the other windows; for now. :)

Thanks, as always for the encouragement and the comments!

Keep 'em coming!

Steve

MSgtUSAFRet
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby MSgtUSAFRet » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:37 pm

G'Day, Gents!

So another weekend at bench!

I broke another drill bit (0.50mm), I thought I could avoid it, while working on the B/C deck. So, I ordered some more Tungsten carbide dental burs which SHOULD arrive Wednesday.

So until then, I worked on my light scheme. Here is a pic of the breadboard - with switch and 12V power supply plugged in.

Image20180121_144424

Rows 1-5 will be the primary hull window lights
Rows 6-10 will be the formation lights (with Fiber optics)
Rows 11-19 will be the secondary hull window lights
Rows 23-24 will be the Deflector Dish light (5mm)
Rows 26-44 will be the Starboard Engine lights
Rows 45-58 will the the Port Engine lights

I know the single red, white and green will be connected to the flasher unit for the formation lights, but I have to figure out how to connect them. I got the schematic below and I have a 556 Timer circuit to play with, so I will be baby-stepping through how to connect this up. I want to try and put it on a circuit board eventually, but I will have to test it out on the breadboard first...ya know...after I learn how to read a schematic. ::) ;D

Image556-lighting-strobe-schematic

As always, tips, suggestions, and recommendations are always appreciated!
Thanks for reading and commenting.

Steve

trekriffic
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Postby trekriffic » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:24 pm

I admire those of you who can wire up their own flasher circuits but I'm lazy and have to get mine from online resellers like Tenacontrols. Not as cheap as making my own for sure but he's reasonable and I like to support his business.
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/

Return to “1/1400”