Weathered Ertl Enterprise D

WiP, finished models and general 1/1400 chit chat.
MadManMUC
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Re: Weathered Ertl Enterprise D

Postby MadManMUC » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:10 pm

Ouch. Those decals need help (not your job applying them, but the decals themselves). There's not enough space between U.S.S. and Enterprise, and you're right about the stroke, fill and white background all being mis-registered.

Did you print these off yourself from a digital file? What was the file format? In all honesty, decals made from JPEGs, GIFs, PNGs or any other raster format is basically asking for trouble. Vector formats (I use Adobe Illustrator at work) are the best for clean, crisp, sharp and well-aligned markings.

If you decide to try and remove these, and you printed off custom decals from a digital file, I'd be happy to re-do the markings for you in a vector format, and export them as a PDF.

As for the glossiness, that should go away after a matte coat.
DANGER. SPACE DOORS ARE CLOSED.

"I saw it done on Discovery" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.
(With apologies to Tesral for nicking his sig. :mrgreen: )

arcticfox
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Postby arcticfox » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:32 pm

Sadly, these are the actual decals that came with the kit. I really should have just bought the aftermarket ones off the bat, because the sheet I saw also had the details for the lifeboats on it.

And yeah the last image is after just one matte coat, which made a huge difference. I plan to add at least one more final coat after the whole ship is done.

Thanks for the offer to change a file though, I really appreciate it. That's why a community like this is awesome.

SKO
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Postby SKO » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:56 pm

arcticfox wrote:Sadly, these are the actual decals that came with the kit. I really should have just bought the aftermarket ones off the bat, because the sheet I saw also had the details for the lifeboats on it.

And yeah the last image is after just one matte coat, which made a huge difference. I plan to add at least one more final coat after the whole ship is done.

Thanks for the offer to change a file though, I really appreciate it. That's why a community like this is awesome.

The two long strips on the back of the saucer are definitely annoying. I just painted lines to separate them into individual life boats but you can tell up close. I did not attempt anywhere near as detailed a build as this though.

arcticfox
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Postby arcticfox » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:09 am

Thanks!

Painted the impulse drive exhaust on each side. Since the ship is at warp, the exhaust is dark, as opposed to the cherry red if it were moving at sublight speed.

The nozzle is painted using Vallejo Dark Grey 70.994 and the inside is Vallejo Black 70.950

Then I did the windows on the top of the saucer using Vallejo Black 70.950 and Vallejo White 70.951. The blue windows astern of the main shuttle bay are Vallejo Game Color Electric Blue 72023.

The thrusters (hard to see in these pics) are painted Vallejo Game Color Heavy Goldbrown 72151

Then I followed the same steps with the ventral part of the saucer.

Saucer section is complete.

Next, I turned my attention to the star drive section. The seams between the connecting neck and the secondary hull were horrendous, so I filled the gap using Games Workshop Liquid Green Stuff.

Griffworks
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby Griffworks » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:05 am

Lookin' really good!
“And I looked, and behold a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.“

MadManMUC
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Postby MadManMUC » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:36 am

Absolutlely fantastic job on the primary hull!

arcticfox
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Postby arcticfox » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:07 pm

Thanks guys!

Worked on the star drive section last night. Will post more updates soon.

arcticfox
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Postby arcticfox » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:45 pm

With the primary hull done, I've been working on the star drive section.

This part of the model really shows the flaws and issues with the Ertl kit. The lines are way off and don't match in many places, and the parts don't fit together well. The mold also has a lot of burrs, lines and distortions. I did my best to prep it but a close look still reveals a lot of flaws.

As before, I used Army Painter Goblin Green on some panels over a coat of Vallejo Air Azure Blue 71.108.

The ends of the warp pylons have blue masking tape to keep the surface of the plastic clean for when it's time to attach the warp nacelles.

Dorsal view:

Ventral view:

View of the starboard neck:

I went lighter here on the green since the panel lines were subtler and actually recessed, as the whole model should have been.

Next, a couple of coats of the Vallejo Model Wash Blue Grey 76.524, with heavier density on the phaser emitters.

The phaser emitters are, as with the saucer, painted with Vallejo Dark Grey 70.994. The lifeboats and cargo doors are Vallejo Grey Blue 70.943.

MadManMUC
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Postby MadManMUC » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:48 pm

arcticfox wrote:This part of the model really shows the flaws and issues with the Ertl kit

Typical Ertl. Bleh. I'm telling you, I'd be very happy if Moebius took over the Trek license.

All the same, you're really doing well with this one! Looking great!

arcticfox
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Postby arcticfox » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:55 pm

Thanks!

Return to “1/1400”