1:1400 NCC 1701-D is Coming Back! October Reissue

WiP, finished models and general 1/1400 chit chat.
suwalski
Erratic Ensign
Erratic Ensign

Re: 1:1400 NCC 1701-D is Coming Back! October Reissue

Postby suwalski » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:04 am

andyh wrote:Pat, believe it or not, I use a product called Megepoxy HX. It's an industrial epoxy resin used for injecting into cracks so it has an almost zero shrink factor. It's locally made in Australia but if it isn't available in the USA, there would be comparable products used all over the world.

I always worry about using epoxies in my molds, and as a casting medium in general. I find that clear epoxies tend to yellow over time, and can get soft. These are problems that don't seem to exist in polyurethanes like Alumilite and Smooth-On.

Still, I'm intrigued by this epoxy being thinner than opaque Smooth-On, which seems to be almost as thin as water.
Pat Suwalski @ Tetryon Parts.

suwalski
Erratic Ensign
Erratic Ensign

Postby suwalski » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:16 am

Yeah, so there really is no comparison in viscosity.

According to http://www.permatech.com.au/uploads/2/6 ... apoxyh.pdf the mixed viscosity is 300-800cps. That's a surprisingly wide range.

According to https://www.smooth-on.com/products/smooth-cast-320/ the Smooth-On is 80cps, which is obviously a lot less viscous.

The clear stuff I use (and find thick) appears to be 400 cps, as outlined in their technical data: https://www.alumilite.com/PDFs/New%20TD ... -Clear.pdf
Pat Suwalski @ Tetryon Parts.

andyh
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby andyh » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:11 am

When I mix it, it must come close to the 300 as it doesn't seem thick to me, but you are correct it is thicker pouring than I thought.

Yes, it will yellow with time. Maybe the stuff you use is the best option, but I've never had to bake clear resin before.

Andy

novahobbies
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby novahobbies » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:12 pm

suwalski wrote:
feldon30 wrote:I apologize if I caused offense with the words I used. Until Jeff filled me in, I had no idea there was a glimmer of hope that Tetryon could come back.

No, not at all. I did my homework and read through your posts. It's obvious some of your frustration was coming from lack of info due to threads timing out at SSM, and then the timing of trying to get parts just as I put things on hiatus to enjoy my summer.

The really "fun" part about all this is that the reissues of the kit are in clear. Almost no one wants the opaque part. Casting the necks in opaque resin takes almost no time; I can get through three per hour per mold. But when it comes to the clear resin, I have to bake it, let it cool down, and then deal with the significant possibility that the more viscous resin didn't fill in properly, all the while knowing that the heat cycle has shortened the life of the mold. That takes 90 minutes per casting.

When the parts make a comeback under my watch, that assembly line arithmetic will mean that the price difference between the opaque and clear versions will be greater than in the past.

I'm encouraged by the response, though.

Ressurecting because, boy oh boy,, I would STILL LOVE to pick up some Tetryon parts! Right off the bat I would be down for 2 sets each of the saucer impulse engines, the warp engine doo-dads, and the saucer forward windows (only those in clear). I mean I would order those TONIGHT if I could. So, c'mon back, man! We miss you!!! :D

What do we need to do? Beg?? I can do that! :bow:

Return to “1/1400”