Starcrafts D'kyr class Vulcan ringship (COMPLETED!)

WiP, finished models and general 1/1400 chit chat.
novahobbies
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Starcrafts D'kyr class Vulcan ringship (COMPLETED!)

Post by novahobbies »

I've had this bad boy for some time, and only recently decided to pull it out and finish her up. I'm about halfway done at this point, so I thought I'd post a few shots of the build so far.

I wish I had thought to photograph this as a OOB review. For those who don't own this kit.....it's awesome. And LARGE. Who'da thunk that the Vulcans would be tooling around in Galaxy class sized starships way back in the 22nd century? It's a sizable chunk of resin, and it's a good thing that the model is cast in hollow halves. Shame the ring isn't, but....I've heard rumblings that SC might try to revamp that feature in the future. But the main ship comes in 4 large pieces of resin for the body, a single big ring, and a couple bags of opaque and clear resin bits and bobs to make up the details and the secondary mini ship. A quick wash, some careful gluing and clamping, and the main hull goes together in a couple hours.

I painted mine by using Krylon red primer. Once I saw the color, I liked it so much I decided to use it as the base coat. I started with the mini ship....
It's funny.....I almost wish SC would market this separately as a kit by itself. It's certainly big enough to call a model on its own. Here it is after I applied a final coat of base, some gloss, and a wash of metallic ruby:

From there, I went on to work on the base coat of the main ship. Again, it's been given a few coats of primer red, then future gloss, then applications of the ruby metallic color:

The ring is next. I masked off most of the ring, then airbrushed in some Testors aztec deep blue (it's a new stuff for airbrushing) mixed with some acrylic fluorescent blue. I'm hoping it will help the color "glow" a little under actinic blue lights (more on that in a bit). Once the blue was in place, I went back with my brush and base color and re-colored the ribs with red.

Now, here's the plan. I am going to pick out some of the details in the ring with white, then coat over with clear blue. The stand is a gesso'ed panel painted black, and the support is two 3/8 clear acrylic rods that will have blue LEDs shining up thru them to make them glow. The rods end in 1/8 inch tabs, so the holes in the model are very minimal. I will add some extra blue spotlights to the stand as well to try and highlight the model's ring. This might take some doing, but I'm gonna try.
Here's a mockup of the stand for right now:

Still a long way to go on this, but I'm really enjoying the lines of this model. I'll be using the "aztec panel" decals, and I've decided to glue the ring in place when it's done. The paint scrapes a LOT when you let the ring swing freely, and since I don't plan on displaying this in any other configuration, I might as well glue it. I may just lightly tack it so I can break the bond in case I need to pack it and ship it, but otherwise...that ring is stayin' UP.
Last edited by novahobbies on Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drop_Bear
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Re: Starcrafts D'kyr class Vulcan ringship

Post by Drop_Bear »

Nice! I really like the colour; it gives it an almost organic apperance.

So the engine ring... is hinged on the model? Until I read your post I had no idea that the D'kyr had a hinged warp engine. I had to look it up, thinking something was off there. 600 metres long and a crew of 124? Okay... :roll: Cool ship, though!
"On the internet, no one knows you're a cat." - Intentional misquote of a popular adage.

My flikr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/photos/132558716@N02/albums
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato »

Ditto on your color selection. It's excellent. The question remains, though: That's Krylon red??
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.
novahobbies
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by novahobbies »

el gato wrote:Ditto on your color selection. It's excellent. The question remains, though: That's Krylon red??
Here are the paints I used....
20150924_230452.jpg
I did a little more detail painting in the ring by painting the inner details very light white blue, then over coating with clear blue. Think I'll leave it as is. Time to start looking at those panel decals...
20150924_230612.jpg
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by Moongrim »

That is a process I will be emulating in my own work involving my ringship XCV.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.
RogueWolf
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Post by RogueWolf »

This is awesome work, I love the paint job! MORE!!!
Check out my NorthTrek Creations kits at:
http://www.mvmodels.biz/northtrek.asp
Valar Morghulis
novahobbies
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by novahobbies »

Since I had family over and another model to distract me, I didn't get too far with this. However, the last gloss coats were applied, and I got started on the ring decals tonight. Just got the bottom of the ring done, but it's a start.

That's it. These decals are very thin and delicate. It's actually somewhat stressful to apply them, but when they lay down and snuggle in to the surface details, they look awesome. I'm hoping to get more done tomorrow night after work.
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by Moongrim »

Every little bit helps. And I definitely enjoyed the kind of decal material that Starcrafts has been using of late.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.
novahobbies
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by novahobbies »

Got the ring finished, inside and out, along with the decals for the mini-ship and the lower back portion of the main hull. This is a long trek.....pun honestly not intended.

Some comments so far about the decals. As with most large decals, patience, patience, patience. And hey, guess what? More patience!

The decals for the inside of the ring really ought to be done BEFORE you do the outer ring. It's more difficult to apply thin rows of long decals to an inner concave curve when you're also trying to be light-fingered about your grip to the just decalled outer section of the ring! Speaking of those inner decals -- cut each strip into 2 pieces. Thirds might even be better. But definitely do those before you tackle the outer surface of the warp ring.

The directions mentions that you may have to cut up larger decals....and they are NOT kidding. Just the main rear lower decal (#18 if you have the model) wound up getting chopped into 9 separate pieces. This is where that "patience" thing really comes into play. I suspect I'm going to be doing this for every large section of decal material.

There are only 5 decals for the mini ship, and they only cover the outer ring and upper surface of the top hull. They go on quickly and with minimal fuss. There are no decals for the bottom of the mini-ship's hull, but you will have plenty of spare decal panels if you want to make your own. I am going to, since it looks naked down there.

That's the report for tonight! No pictures for now, because the decals look funny until dried. It's an odd thing about these decals. There is a white film that seems to develop on the prints when I'm laying them down, but the color goes away after the decal has had time to dry for a full day. Never seen that before (it's definitely not silvering) but as long as it goes away, I don't mind. I do wish I knew what it was, though.
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato »

Thanks for the head's up. I wonder if the Bad Azz 2500 scale version of this ship comes with decals. It would make sense that they would given BA's affiliation with JT Graphics, but you never know
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

Return to “1/1400”