Wonderfest 2018, Just around the corner

Scheduled for June 2-3, 2018 at the Crowne Plaza Hotel
Tesral
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Re: Wonderfest 2018, Just around the corner

Postby Tesral » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:13 pm

Sue is coming with me. She might duck out to visit the local horse museum. She is the horsy type.

The Crown Plaza is a strange hotel. I don't know what arrangement Wonderfest has but it is not in the customer’s favor. It is the only hotel with a con association I have ever seen that wants payment up front. And it's more than I'm use to paying for a hotel room at a con at that.

I've negotiated a few of these contracts. Either Wonderfest is not a good player or they don't have good negotiators.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

Del
Starship Engineer
Starship Engineer

Postby Del » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:34 pm

Tesral wrote:The Crown Plaza is a strange hotel. I don't know what arrangement Wonderfest has but it is not in the customer’s favor. It is the only hotel with a con association I have ever seen that wants payment up front. And it's more than I'm use to paying for a hotel room at a con at that.

It is a little pricey, but not so much when you figure it's an airport hotel in a large city. My only complaint is no refrigerator in the room unless you have a suite. Even Motel 6 gives you a refrigerator. I've never paid in advance though, so this sounds strange unless it's different this year. They only want the credit card info for a pre-authorize to make sure you're serious about the reservation. Always paid the day of checkout.
Multi-Verse Models - http://www.mvmodels.biz or find me on Facebook
Producing kits previously sold thru Ravenstar, Novahobbies, Fantastic Plastic, NorthTrek Creations, and more!

Griffworks
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby Griffworks » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:33 pm

Yep, same here on paring at checkout.

mophius wrote:I'd love to go but it would be a bit of a 'trek' lol
I don't think the wife would like me going all that way on my own either and she certainly wouldn't do the trip.
I guess I will have to live it through your experiences.

There are several folks who attend from afar, none of which I believe frequent here. We get folks from Canada, the U.K., Australia, New Zealand, and the weird world of California. Most save up and make it a 7+ day vacation.

Tesral
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Postby Tesral » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:04 am

Del wrote:
Tesral wrote:The Crown Plaza is a strange hotel. I don't know what arrangement Wonderfest has but it is not in the customer’s favor. It is the only hotel with a con association I have ever seen that wants payment up front. And it's more than I'm use to paying for a hotel room at a con at that.

It is a little pricey, but not so much when you figure it's an airport hotel in a large city. My only complaint is no refrigerator in the room unless you have a suite. Even Motel 6 gives you a refrigerator. I've never paid in advance though, so this sounds strange unless it's different this year. They only want the credit card info for a pre-authorize to make sure you're serious about the reservation. Always paid the day of checkout.

Thanks for the warning, bring a cooler. Well this year they not only want a card they want to charge it at once. And airport hotel is no excuse, we got better rates at the Airport Raddison for the Continuum. I might be new at Wonderfest, but I'm an old hand at conventions. Sue and I do three to four a year. General Science Fiction and Steampunk.

I am coming from Dearborn Michigan. I've been through Louisville on the way to Nashville earlier this year for the Eclipse. We didn't stop however. The drive back was Hell itself. Different story.

Del
Starship Engineer
Starship Engineer

Postby Del » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:15 am

WOW! :shock: They ARE charging credit cards now. Not that I didn't trust you, but it didn't make sense to me, so I just got off the phone, and they're charging one night in advance with the balance due at checkout. Horrible plan for those of us using our business credit cards for tax purposes to show multiple charges - months apart - for one event. Never happened before that I've experienced since attending from 2005 until now. That sucks.
Producing kits previously sold thru Ravenstar, Novahobbies, Fantastic Plastic, NorthTrek Creations, and more!

MEATLOAFr
Rampaging Rear Admiral (LH)
Rampaging Rear Admiral (LH)

Postby MEATLOAFr » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:43 am

Del wrote:WOW! :shock: They ARE charging credit cards now. Not that I didn't trust you, but it didn't make sense to me, so I just got off the phone, and they're charging one night in advance with the balance due at checkout. Horrible plan for those of us using our business credit cards for tax purposes to show multiple charges - months apart - for one event. Never happened before that I've experienced since attending from 2005 until now. That sucks.

make sure to save this current charge notice - encase the try to double charge you at check out, have had that happen to me before at a few diffrent places
If the world ends tomorrow, it's ALL YOUR FAULT!!!

Griffworks
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby Griffworks » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:46 am

They must've literally started that this year after WonderFest. Did they inform you of that when you made the reservation, Del? I'm guessing not. Pretty jackexup, regardless.

Del
Starship Engineer
Starship Engineer

Postby Del » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:40 am

Griffworks wrote:They must've literally started that this year after WonderFest. Did they inform you of that when you made the reservation, Del? I'm guessing not. Pretty jackexup, regardless.

I didn't make a reservation yet. I was going to, but then they said they would charge for the first night now. As stated above, I don't want to split the payment for the weekend as it will look funny if I'm ever audited on my taxes. As long as it's documented I'll be fine, but will still raise questions with deductions for the event being split amongst different tax years. Would prefer one single payment for that purpose as well, but that's not going to happen I guess. :roll:

The booking person told me that it's not normal for this to occur, but that the WonderFest staff supposedly negotiated it as part of the 2018 contract. Not sure if that's true, but that's what I was told on the phone. If true, I'll be letting them know that I'm not amused. Unless,.....the booking person got it wrong, and maybe it's now a requirement from Crowne Plaza for WonderFest attendees to pre-pay maybe due to some chronic problem that the hotel has been experiencing over the past couple of years with people making reservations and then bailing. All speculation at this point, but just can't figure out why this stupid change.

Tesral
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Postby Tesral » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:14 am

I decided that the difference between the normal price and the Wonderfest price were not sufficient to deal with it and booked a normal weekend though Expedia and did not pay up front.

Now that is three room nights that will not be credited to Wonderfest.

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Postby el gato » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:51 am

Griffworks wrote:... and the weird world of California.

Yeah, weirdos from California. They're the worst.... ;)

Re: the CP, maybe it won't be an issue soon for you Del now that we're 25 days away from the beginning of the new year
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

Return to “Wonderfest 2018”