AMT/Ertl Enterprise B Build

WIP, finished kits and other 1/1000 discussion.
arcticfox
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

AMT/Ertl Enterprise B Build

Postby arcticfox » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:32 am

And so it begins...

I just received this model I'd bought on eBay. It's the Generations edition. Unfortunately for me, I read the description too late to realize that it had already been partially assembled, complete with some after market decals.

I'm not horribly bummed about the construction having already been started, since my favorite part is the painting, but I can't use all the nice after market aztecing decals 'cause some of them had already been applied over the shiny white hull, and I like my trek models to have a darker overall color. Probably wouldn't have used them anyway since the color wouldn't look right... but still feels like a waste.

On the up side, The sheet with the Starfleet and registry markings wasn't used, so I can make good use of those, at least.

holt35
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Re: AMT/Ertl Enterprise B Build

Postby holt35 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:03 am

Yeah the first run of the kit wasn't great but there are worse models. The improvements Round 2 made make a lot difference and I hope they bring this kit back our in the future. Any pictures of yours ?

arcticfox
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Postby arcticfox » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:13 pm

I'll be posting some pics when I get started. At the same time I'll do a part inventory and try to verify that the kit is complete.

arcticfox
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Postby arcticfox » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:09 am

Sooo... here's the starting point.

Box is a bit beat up but intact...

Contents appear undamaged, but partially assembled. You can see the aztecing decals have already been partly applied, and on the secondary hull, peeling off. I wasn't planning to save them anyway, but what a waste...

Here are the original decals and the aftermarket ones for the ship's livery and registry. May as well use the nicer aftermarket ones.

And here're the aztec decal sheets.

trekriffic
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Postby trekriffic » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:43 pm

Ahhhhhhhhh! I thought those aztec decals looked pink. And seeing that last photo confirms it. Acreation is notorious for the pink cast to their aztec decals.
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/

arcticfox
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Postby arcticfox » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:06 pm

Miraculously, all of the parts were there so I didn't need to fabricate any replacements. *phew*

So I've assembled the major components, saucer, secondary hull and warp nacelles. I also left the warp pylon assembly separate so I could paint the secondary hull under it.

Some of the joints and seams from the parts that were already assembled are pretty rough so I'm going to need to use some sandpaper and filler to smooth those, but as soon as that's done I can start painting!

I've removed all of the decals that were loosely attached, but man... most of the saucer is really fighting me. I'm debating on whether I should just paint over them, since they seem to be very well and firmly attached.

mophius
Crafty Captain
Crafty Captain

Postby mophius » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:43 pm

give them a good sanding and paint over them. I would say rub them off with acetone /nail varnish remover but that can cause problems with the next coat of paint if not washed thoroughly. Also it is quite tedious.
There is no dark side of the moon really, matter of fact its all dark.

Imgur
Shapeways Shop

holt35
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Postby holt35 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:28 pm

Yeah those Acreations decals can be bad but if you get ahold of a get set they can look good. Here's my Enterprise-B with them before he started putting out crap.

https://imgur.com/a/I4XAf

Yours doesn't look to bad I would recommend striping all the paint off the saucer using Purple Power or Simple Green, just soak it for a week or so. If you don't and try to paint over it you may run into problems with how it looks in the end.
I would also recommend picking up the after market resin neck and lower saucer from Starship Modeler.com, I believe it cost around $30 dollars but makes the model so much better. Here's a look at my new USS Lakota model that's almost finished https://imgur.com/a/V8fOy On it you can see the new lower saucer and neck as well as the raised plates I added to the top of the secondary hull to match the newer more correct Round2 kit.

As for the decals don't try to use them they look like crap and I've found out that if they are to old they no longer stick to the model. If you have a printer my advice is to download the free azteks on site SSM for the 1/1000 scale Enterprise-B, That's what I use on mine except for the saucer which I have another way of doing but the SSM saucer decals do look good as well. The kits decals are also yellowed so I would order a new set from DLM or Federation models just make sure the set you buy comes with the red stripes in it.

I've built a lot of Excelsior Class models over the years and you can see them all on my Imgur page so if you have any Questions feel free to ask.

arcticfox
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Postby arcticfox » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:22 am

Thanks for talking me out of trying to leave the decals in place guys. I dunno what I was thinking ;)

holt35, your ships look amazing! Now I'm all intimidated to post my work on this model :mrgreen:

I think it's too late on this model to use the upgraded bridge and saucer parts, as those were already glued together when I got it and the original builder seems to have used plenty of good glue. I will keep the upgrades in mind when I do an Excelsior though,

So remember how I said the parts were complete? Well, they were... but no longer.

See, I was test fitting the major sections together to see how the ship looked assembled (as you do) and one of the warp nacelles fell off and hit the floor, stern part first. Believe it or not, those little fins didn't even break off (Gorilla Glue FTW). So I pushed my luck and tried again...

And the small horizontal fin did break off the second time. Fortunately I had some leftover sheet styrene that is exactly the correct thickness, and I can make a replacement.

holt35
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Postby holt35 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:55 pm

arcticfox wrote:Thanks for talking me out of trying to leave the decals in place guys. I dunno what I was thinking ;)

holt35, your ships look amazing! Now I'm all intimidated to post my work on this model :mrgreen:

I think it's too late on this model to use the upgraded bridge and saucer parts, as those were already glued together when I got it and the original builder seems to have used plenty of good glue. I will keep the upgrades in mind when I do an Excelsior though,

So remember how I said the parts were complete? Well, they were... but no longer.

See, I was test fitting the major sections together to see how the ship looked assembled (as you do) and one of the warp nacelles fell off and hit the floor, stern part first. Believe it or not, those little fins didn't even break off (Gorilla Glue FTW). So I pushed my luck and tried again...

And the small horizontal fin did break off the second time. Fortunately I had some leftover sheet styrene that is exactly the correct thickness, and I can make a replacement.

Thanks for the compliment and don't worry about what mine look like just make it your own. Truthfully a lot of the look of my kits are because of the aztek decals.

Yeah sheet plastic is you friend on a Excelsior class model and I to have had to make the fins out of it. For some reason everyone thinks the fins on the Enterprise-B are longer then Excelsiors so Round 2 didn't put the extension in the new Excelsior kit.

I understand about the after market parts they cost a lot anyway and you can still make a great looking kit without them but I would diffently make the top plates for the top of the secondary hull just to bring it up to date a little. You can use the engraved lines on the model as a templet cut them out in painters tape and move the painters tape to the sheet plastic and cut them out, really fast and easy mod that makes the kit look way better, Those deep engraved lines are unrealalic IMO anyway.

Return to “1/1000”