AMT/Ertl Enterprise B Build

WIP, finished kits and other 1/1000 discussion.
mophius
Crafty Captain
Crafty Captain

Re: AMT/Ertl Enterprise B Build

Post by mophius »

Griffworks wrote:
mophius wrote:I think a corrugated door across the lot is the way to go. I just need to find some.
For this scale, I’d recommend Evergreen V-Groove .050” (1.3mm) spacing, .020” (0.5mm) thickness sheet stock. Stock Number is 2050 - usually EVG2050 or something similar.
Thanks Griff, I'll look into it.
There is no dark side of the moon really, matter of fact its all dark.
arcticfox
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Post by arcticfox »

Gaps.

This model was partly built when I got it and I'm very sad about some of the seams and joints.

The primary hull wasn't too bad, I only had to apply some Games Workshop Liquid Greenstuff to the joins for the outboard impulse engine exhausts and a little to the hull below the inboard impulse engines.

The Secondary hull... woof.

I don't blame the first builder, as I get the impression the model really isn't that great anyway. In any case, lots of work. The seams around the shuttlebay are terrible and the hole for the display stand cries out for reshaping and filling...

A little liquid greenstuff:

The seams around the navigational deflector are rough too.

And lots more liquid greenstuff:

After it's cured I'll do some sanding where I can, and will probably need to add more greenstuff around the shuttlebay and the hole for the stand.
Last edited by arcticfox on Mon May 07, 2018 1:14 am, edited 3 times in total.
novahobbies
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by novahobbies »

What is this Liquid Green Stuff you speak of? I may need to check this out!
arcticfox
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Post by arcticfox »

novahobbies wrote:What is this Liquid Green Stuff you speak of? I may need to check this out!
It's a product made by Citadel, which is the Games Workshop brand of paints and hobby stuff. It's basically the blue/yellow putty but it comes in a small jar and has the consistency of really thick toothpase. You can see the little jar in the background of the last photo.

I like it because it's super easy to work with, and you can minimize waste by not having to pre-mix it and guess at how much you need.
holt35
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by holt35 »

Yeah the Enterprise-B model is bad when it comes to the seams but once they are filled it's a good looking model. I would think about filling in the windows on the secondary hull and going with decals for them, the windows are way out of scale and make the model look like a toy.
Callandor
Candid Cadet
Candid Cadet

Post by Callandor »

I have one of these I have been meaning to start. Are there any good sets of aftermarket decals for the blue markings? I don't want any aztecs, just the blue markings, phaser banks, registry, etc. I know acreation used to make some, but no one seems to carry them anymore.
holt35
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by holt35 »

I don't know of anyone that makes them anymore. Shame about Acreations they had great art work but to many people got screwed over by him and even if you did find a set of blue decals from Acreations they may not be good anymore trust me I just built a E-B as the USS Lakota and I had nothing but problems with the few Acreation decals I used.

My advice is to just paint the teal areas on the ship. the only areas that have detail and aren't a solid color are the lower saucer ring, the bottom of the secondary hull and the area on the bottom of the fantail. Everything else is just a solid teal or blue which ever you like better.
Callandor
Candid Cadet
Candid Cadet

Post by Callandor »

The blue stripes around the rim of the saucer make me want to cry just looking at them. I can't paint good pin stripes to save my life.
holt35
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by holt35 »

Callandor wrote:The blue stripes around the rim of the saucer make me want to cry just looking at them. I can't paint good pin stripes to save my life.
Yeah I forgot about the strips and I feel the same way about them. IMO trying to paint them isn't an option if you want them top turn out good so what I do is buy the Don's Light and Magic decal set most of the time. The color won't match but it's a better option then trying to paint them IMO anyway. For my Lakota build I acually used the ones form the new Excesior aztek decal sheet and color corrected them to better match the teal blue on the Enterprise-B model and then printed new ones. Here's a link to my Imgur page where you can look at all four of my Excelsior models, they should give you an idea on how to handle some things on your model.

https://holt35.imgur.com/
arcticfox
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Post by arcticfox »

Sorry for the lack of updates. Busy time, and my website (where I host the images) got hacked. I'll be resuming construction soon.

Return to “1/1000”