FASA USS Ramses, NCC-4335 - Larson class destroyer

WIP, finished kits and other 1/1000 discussion.
Griffworks
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

FASA USS Ramses, NCC-4335 - Larson class destroyer

Post by Griffworks »

Yet another FASA ship! This is the old 1/1000 scale, resin Starship Modeler Kit Factory conversion kit, released in 2005 for the Polar Lights TOS-E. This is the USS Ramses, NCC-4335 - a Larson-class destroyer No special reason for the name beyond itbwas on the original decal sheet and I thought it was a kewel sounding name.
IMG_3795.JPG
From Starship Schematic DataBase, specifically the Star Trek Scematics section

For my build, since I rarely build anything stock, I've done a few modifications. I decided that I wanted to add a different warp propulsion system. I had recently gotten a pair of Modular Models Endeavour-type nacelles in a trade, so decided to add one of those. I also added an Alternate Impulse Engine Type 3 from Millenia Models Int'l, a photorp deck from UGH! Models TOS Era Neck Pack was added directly underneath the warp nacelle mounting point, a thickened aft deck by adding sheet stock to both the dorsal and ventral surfaces, aft external door mounts. I also added a JT Resin B/C Deck.
IMG_3540.JPG
The LN-52 nacelles.
IMG_3542.JPG
Type 3 Alternate Impulse Engine from Millenia Models Int'l. Sadly, they're currently OOP.
IMG_3543.JPG
Type 3 Alternate Impulse Engine from Millenia Models Int'l. Sadly, they're currently OOP.
IMG_3549.JPG
Pieces / parts! The blue resin photorp pod is from UGH! Models.

I also thickened the warp nacelle pylons with some sheet stock added to the outboard surface. The stock pylons were just a bit too thin for my tastes, so I "fixed" them. And I decided to "build up" a Refit-type bridge by using a combination of Evergreen plastic sheet stock and Tamiya Putty for Models.
IMG_3556.JPG
Cutting and sanding sheet stock to-fit.
IMG_3557.JPG
On the left is a pylon with sheet stock laminated to the outboard surface. On the right the naked resin pylon.

After much puttying, sanding, puttying, sanding, a coat of primer, etc..., I started assembly. This, of course, wasn't nearly as straightforward or easy as it woulda/coulda been, requiring a little extra sanding-to-fit of parts, namely the pylon mounting points. I also added some U-channel and strip Evergreen stock behind the B/C deck. Maybe it's an expanded additional sensor deck or perhaps some additional doohickey to help with warp field stabilization.
IMG_3558.JPG
Here I added a sheet of plastic stock for the dorsal surface. Then mounted the Type 3 Impulse Deck. You can see the JT Resin B/C Deck that I added.
IMG_3559.JPG
Adding the extended bridge.
IMG_3560.JPG
I also added a JT Resin Alternate B/C Deck piece. And, of course, where I'm extending the bridge housing.
IMG_3562.JPG
Primed and sanded for the pylon mounting points. And, I added some venting/mechanical housing for the hangar deck space.
IMG_3563.JPG
Aft view showing the external doors for the shuttle bays / hangars.
IMG_3576.JPG
Next to her cousin, the USS Chicago, a Loknar-class Frigate.

More to come.
“And I looked, and behold a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.“

My Flickr Albums
Griffworks
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Re: FASA USS Ramses, NCC-4335 - Larson class destroyer

Post by Griffworks »

Primer coat is Tamiya grey primer for plastic and metal.
IMG_3789.JPG
Assembled and primed.
IMG_3790.JPG
IMG_3791.JPG
Showing the inboard flush vents, impulse e Hines, and the photorp pod.
IMG_3792.JPG
IMG_3793.JPG
i really like this profile shot, for some reason.
IMG_3794.JPG
Beauty shot.

Still haven't fully decided on a base coat color. Might go with AS-20 Insignia White (US Navy). Keep it in line with the same color I used on two other ships that are also sporting the LN-52 nacelles - USS Endeavour, NCC-1716,and USS Socorro, NCC-1231.

More later.
“And I looked, and behold a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.“

My Flickr Albums
TrekMD
Head of Starfleet Medical
Head of Starfleet Medical

Post by TrekMD »

Looking good so far!
Medicus ad astra, non laedant...
Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral »

Not a favorite, but you have done one good build.

Big ships are hand built objects. They get changes over their lifetimes. Ergo no two ships even of a class off the ways are ever identical. I like little tweaks.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

Return to “1/1000”