FASA USS Chicago, NCC-2738 - Loknar-class Frigate

WIP, finished kits and other 1/1000 discussion.
Griffworks
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

FASA USS Chicago, NCC-2738 - Loknar-class Frigate

Postby Griffworks » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:36 am

This is the 1/1000 scale Loknar-class frigate, manufactured by the Starship Modeler Kit Factory as the Federation Frigate. The initial release was in Early 2004, IIRC, and I think that they only did three runs of the kit - I currently own two. The design harkens back to the FASA Loknar-class frigate, from the Star Trek: Starship Combat Simulator table-top game, and was also featured in the FASA Star Trek Role-Playing Game.

The kit is ostensibly a mixed-medium kit, produced in resin for the main hull sections, plus decals. In order to complete a build of the model, it requires the bridge, lower sensor dome, and nacelle assemblies from the Polar Lights / Round 2 1/1000 scale TOS Enterprise kit to complete the model. Most people usually had at least one set of each left over from a TOS E build, either Pilot or Series pieces/parts, so the conversion kit worked out well for using up most all of the leftover parts.

My backstory for the ship, USS Chicago, NCC-2738, follows.

She is meant to represent a Refit / Uprated ship that had suffered severe damage to her warp coils. This particular refit occurs around the time of ST:TOS, so roughly 2265-ish is when Chicago started her Refit. She was fully commissioned in mid-2266, after 7 months of trial runs.

She's something of a test bed and was given a recently developed warp drive system, the PN-58B. They also added a dedicated, longer range navigational deflector with sensor dish; turret-style Phaser emitters; and a newer, extended photorp deck which allows for larger internal storage of photorps. The navigational deflector is meant to show the progression to having dedicated nav deflector that we see on most all of the later large ships during TNG and beyond. For instance, all the ships of the Class of '96 - the new ships we see in ST:FC - sport obvious dedicated nav deflectors, unlike the Miranda, Constellation, and Oberth classes. She ain't purty, but she ain't really meant to be, particular for a sort of test bed ship.

The nacelles I used for the build are the 1/1000 scale Sentinel Type Nacelles from UGH! Models; the saucer mounted navigational deflector and sensor mount is from the UGH! Models 1/1000 Saucer Mounted Nacelle Conversion Kit, Phase 2 version; and the saucer mounted photorp deck is from VA Miniatures, found at Federation Models under Products, then VA Miniatures.

I plan to do as I've done, or intend to do, with my other TOS Design Era ships and go with a base coat color of Tamiya rattlecan AS-20 Insignia White (US Navy). Tho, as I'm thinking and typing this, might go with AS-5 Light Blue (Luftwaffe) to represent her original paint job....

IMG_3317.JPG

IMG_3319.JPG

Initial assembly. She's mounting a pair of PB-47 Mod 3 (standard nacelles off the PL/R2 TOS Series version). The deflector mount is from UGH! Models, a part of their Saucer Mounted Nacelle Conversion Kit, Phase 2 version. The nacelles are from a trade I did with someone several years back.

IMG_3320.JPG

IMG_3321.JPG

Here's where I added the saucer mounted photorp deck from VA Miniatures and available from Federation Models under Products, VA Miniatures. The saucer leading edge mounted nav deflector and sensor are from UGH! Models.

IMG_3539.JPG

The Sentinel type nacelles from UGH! Models. These were designed by Bill Krause for several of his 1/350 Trek builds.

More to come....
Last edited by Griffworks on Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:36 pm, edited 4 times in total.
“And I looked, and behold a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.“

Griffworks
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Re: FASA USS Chicago, NCC2738 - Loknar-class Frigate

Postby Griffworks » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:37 am

IMG_3570.JPG

Nacelles mounted.

IMG_3571.JPG

I used a cut down sensor spire from a PL/R2 TOS E with which to mount the sensor dish.

IMG_3573.JPG

I also used the split Impulse Deck from the UGH! Models 1/1000 TOS Era Neck Pack. I cut, sanded and puttied to fit.

IMG_3575.JPG

Showing all the different mods, prior to adding a coat of primer so as to discover all the flaws!

IMG_3576.JPG

USS Chicago with the Larson-class destroyer, USS Ramses, NCC-4335. Ramses is sporting an LN-52 Mod 4, single-mounted warp nacelle.

IMG_3620.JPG

The clear parts for the nacelles, mounted on their bucks.

IMG_3621.JPG

Closeup of the interior of the Bussard collector.

IMG_3622.JPG

The decal sheet from the kit release.

I've done more work since these pics were taken, to include a base coat. More later, as usual.
“And I looked, and behold a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.“

kobayashimaru
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby kobayashimaru » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:04 am

neat!
this is awesome to see the buildup,
and the nudie bussard collector/inside the nacelle too. :lol:

will it light up, or be a static bussard with the clear dome?
either way, it will look awesome.

Griffworks
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby Griffworks » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:18 am

They're solid nacelles. So, without major modification, they're not going to be lit. :|

Tesral
Anything Goes Admiral
Anything Goes Admiral

Postby Tesral » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:23 pm

I'm looking forward to the rest of it. The Loknar is one of my preferred FASA designs.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

Griffworks
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby Griffworks » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:07 am

Thanks. And that's the one I got from you, just so's ya know.

Tesral
Anything Goes Admiral
Anything Goes Admiral

Postby Tesral » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:25 am

Griffworks wrote:Thanks. And that's the one I got from you, just so's ya know.

In that case I'm doubly looking forward to the finish, it has waited long enough.

Griffworks
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby Griffworks » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:10 am

Updated pics!

IMG_3646.JPG

Tamiya rattlecan Primer. I also added a resin casting of a Refit lower planetary sensor array.

IMG_3668.JPG

I worked hard and came ssoooo close to blending the navigational deflector housing to the main hull. So close....

IMG_3713.JPG

Base coat of AS-5 Light Blue (Luftwaffe), applied. I also used most of a resin casting of the "trench" from an X-Wing kit that I acquired some time ago. I like to think of it as mechanical equipment for the hangar bay, plus maybe additional sensors.

IMG_3714.JPG

Close up of the details area.

IMG_3715.JPG

And, of course, more to come.

Tesral
Anything Goes Admiral
Anything Goes Admiral

Postby Tesral » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:00 pm

We don't have a baited breath smiley. Waiting none the less.

Griffworks
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby Griffworks » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:35 pm

Ha! Sad to say that you're gonna wanna not hold your breath - I've been moving at a galacially slow pace.

I have a goal, tho! I hope to finish this and about another two dozen that only need some touch up paint or detailing paint, then decals before Christmas. From memory, 'cause I'm not home so can't walk into my office and confirm, I've got these all ready to go:

Federation:
* Daran - modified Reliant, "Ascension" nacelles, split impulse engines
* Eagle - Peregrine-class using a Reliant kit as the base, w/split impulse engines, "Ascension" nacelles
* Endeavour - slightly modified TOS-E
* Lexington - straight Refit
* Miranda - straight build
* Potemkin - Refit w/"Ascension" nacelles, split impulse engines, Abbe-class bridge
* Raan - Belknap-class w/split impulse engines, "Ascension" nacelles
* Von Braun - Oberth-class

Epsilon XIII - a K-Type Station
Regula One - Regula-Type Station
Space Station Gamma 24 - Regula-Type Station

Klingons:
* D-7L, Gr'oth - modified D-7 w/added hull plate masks
* D-7M, IKS Amar - straight build
* D-7M, IKS Q'onos Wah - straight build
* D-8A Goz'r - D-7 w/hull plates, different nacelles, modified boom, different bridge
* D-10 - needs detail painting, decals
* D-11 - needs detail painting, decals
* K-22 B'rel scout - needs detail painting, decals

Romulans:
* Bird-of-Prey, TOS - detail painting and decals
* Rasha-class scout - detail painting and decals
* V-11 Stormbird, Type 5 - hull plating, needs touch up and decals

Might be another couple that need some minor work and decals, tho I don't recall for sure what.

Return to “1/1000”