USS Socorro, NCC-1231

WIP, finished kits and other 1/1000 discussion.
Griffworks
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

USS Socorro, NCC-1231

Post by Griffworks »

This is a kitbash of a Coventry-class frigate. I'm using a Modular Models Coventry hull that I picked up in a trade with a good friend. I'm using UGH! Models Endeavor Type Nacelles. I'm calling them LN-52 Mk II units, based off of the LN-52 "Fastwing" nacelles for the Endeavour-class seen in Ships of the Star Fleet, Volume One".
IMG_3401.JPG
IMG_3451.JPG
IMG_3452.JPG
IMG_3453.JPG
I chose the name, Socorro, NCC1231, from the list of Coventry-class ships. I also chose it because it's town very near where the Karl G. Jansky Very Large Array is located, some 50 miles outside Socorro. The VLA has been featured in many TV Shows and films over the years and is indeed a really kewel thing to see - not that you can really see much of it from the road.

As of this writing, construction is mostly complete. Some clean up definitely needs to be done. I decided to add a TMP Refit bridge, first from a Polar Lights / Round2, the I went with an UGH! Models Refit bridge from their Lynch-class light cruiser, in place of the standard TOS bridge. My thinking is to show her most recent refit, which was done at around the same time as ST:TMP took place. Many internal systems were upgraded, tho other than the bridge, pennants/markings, and paintjob, she's the same, externally.
IMG_3392.JPG
Taking a cue from the Reliant, I added that little flat-topped triangle. It's some thin Evergreen sheet stock pulled from a scrounge pile, so not sure what thickness it is, tho think it's maybe .020"?
IMG_3397.JPG
Adding this piece to the bottom, which was included as what I guess was meant to be an extended engineering deck? Anyhow, adding it the ventral surface to act as an extended engineering deck. 8-)
IMG_3398.JPG
These surface bubbles on the leading edge have been filled, sanded, filled, sanded, primed, filled... while I've seen much worse, this is still kind of disappointing. Buuuut, at least I have the hull to work with and didn't have to take a year or longer to get!
IMG_3400.JPG
IMG_3402.JPG
I also discovered that, while really well done, the extended hull isn't 100% squared off. Not a problem, as I adjusted for it. It just throws the "balance" of the placement of the pylons and nacelles of noticeably.

More to come.
“And I looked, and behold a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.“

My Flickr Albums
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Re: USS Socorro, NCC-1231

Post by el gato »

Griffworks wrote:I also discovered that, while really well done, the extended hull isn't 100% squared off. Not a problem, as I adjusted for it. It just throws the "balance" of the placement of the pylons and nacelles of noticeably.
I think I see it, now that you mentioned it. Regardless, this is a kewel build & am looking forward to more updates
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.
Griffworks
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Griffworks »

Showing more work.
IMG_3403.JPG
Pylons attached and puttying started. Nacelles not yet attached.
IMG_3404.JPG
Nacelles and bridge attached. More putty and sanding done. This bridge is from a PL/R2 Refit kit. It was cut off of a kit to which it was previously attached. I didn't like how it looked, so I removed it and replaced it with a bridge from UGH! Models
IMG_3405.JPG
Outboard view.
IMG_3406.JPG
Showing off some extra artistic licensing I took during construction. I also love those oversized shuttle bay doors.
IMG_3407.JPG
And a port view showing the mostly finished Socorro.

IMG_3431.JPG
The UGH! Models bridge from their Lynch-class light cruiser.

More to come.
“And I looked, and behold a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.“

My Flickr Albums
Griffworks
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Griffworks »

After prodigious amounts of the primer, putty, sanding, and several repeats, I finally got those surface bubbles taken care of. I used Tamiya rattle can Surface Primer For Plastic & Metal (Gray). I've decided to use Tamiya rattlecan AS-20 Insignia White (US Navy) as the base coat, as I did with my USS Endeavour, NCC-1716, build.

I hand drilled Awalt Photon Torpedo Tubes into the B/C Deck, as per similar locations in both the Star Fleet Technical Manual and Ships of the Star Fleet, Volume One. I also drilled a single aft tube into the ventral extended engineering decks I added. Still trying to decide if I'll add physical Phaser emitters or just represent them with decals. If I go that route, I might add physical Phaser emitters over the top of the decals.
IMG_3436.JPG
First full coat of primer.
IMG_3437.JPG
Primed, note the Awalt photorp tubes in the forward B/C deck.
IMG_3439.JPG
Aft view, showing the need for puttying several areas.
IMG_3442.JPG
IMG_3443.JPG
IMG_3444.JPG
IMG_3445.JPG
The stand shown here uses one of around 10 Star Fleet emblem bases that I received in a trade from a good friend, Larry. The piece supporting the model is a piece of brass rod from a clothes hanger.
IMG_3447.JPG
IMG_3449.JPG
Base coat - AS-20, Insignia White (US Navy) - applied to the leading edge and part of the upper hull.
IMG_3450.JPG
Showing the base coat up next to the one applied to Endeavour, NCC-1716.

More to come, obviously.

My Flickr Albums
trekriffic
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by trekriffic »

Good work. A lot of effort going into this but that only serves to make the final result all the more satisfying.
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/
Kratok
Perhaps today IS a good day to model
Perhaps today IS a good day to model

Post by Kratok »

Looks great, Jeff.

I like the idea of an interim upgrade, and she loos really nice with the Endeavor nacelles. I know this was one that you were wanting to build, and I am glad you finally got the chance.
Griffworks
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Griffworks »

Hey, fellas! Thanks! And apologies for not responding sooner. I had intended to, tho you know what they say about intentions and a path to a certain place.... :shock:

And thank you in particular, Kratok! I definitely appreciate you giving me the opportunity to have this to build. You rawk!

Update!

I've gone ahead and used Tamiya rattlecan AS-20 Insignia White (US Navy) as the base coat for Socorro - as I did with my USS Endeavour, NCC-1716, build. This gives at least two ships - and possibly a third to come - in the same paint scheme, showing some congruity for a certain timeframe in StarFleet history.
IMG_3706.JPG
Beauty shot.
IMG_3707.JPG
Aft view, showing the single aft tube. I'm kinda not a fan of the way-large hangar doors, tho at the same time I don't hate them.
IMG_3708.JPG
I like this view. One you don't see very often with these style ships.
IMG_3709.JPG
Rub muh belly!

More to come, obviously.

My Flickr Albums
Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral »

The ship is a cat!

I love the build. I like starships as unique objects.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato »

I like it a lot! There are several elements that I'll end up "borrowing"
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

Return to “1/1000”