Here There Be Tholians

WIP, finished kits and other 1/1000 discussion.
Kratok
Perhaps today IS a good day to model

Re: Here There Be Tholians

Postby Kratok » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:57 am

Looks good, Griff.

Really like the 1:72 kit, and agree that it fits in well here as a dreadnought/battleship.

As to colors, no real suggestion. Most of what I have seen recently leans toward silvers and blues. Not sure where I picked up the original visual concept, but in my mind I have always seen Tholians with a metallic copper-hued hull, and orange-ish glowy bits.

Been years....May have to go back and watch The Tholian Web episode. Maybe that is where I picked it up....

Anyway, keep us posted on your progress. Don't see much in the way of Tholians on the few boards that I frequent.

kobayashimaru
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby kobayashimaru » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:45 am

any input you say? :D
:borg2:
they're looking AWESOME.

apologies for a verbose reflection which follows;

Tholian ships might be made out of different chirality metal etc,
perhaps "strange alloys" from different planets etc.
given Tholian physiology is adapted to what, like 400deg C as a 'nominal baseline" (phlox's eyes at that hehe).
:lol: do Tholians see in EMR, X-ray etc? do they have a concept of Planckian locus etc?

I wonder what 2-tone/pearlescent paint schemes might look like.
there exist some guides to such for the Dark Eldar in W40K, and various scale model car forums :D
the hardest of all - matte-over-gloss/translucent!
you can also imbue patterns via decals, or stuff like onion-bags or even stockings etc.

I also wonder what kinds of metal-'patination'/parkerizing style finishes you can achieve.
do tholians 'damascene' their ships? (I always thought that was more ferengi).
copper-vanadium dinichrome 4th excitation (orangey-red) turns purpley-pink with green flecks.
I like the monochrome patination of some tektites or metals, particularly gallium and metallic osmium.
which leads into the next tangent;
if Tholian ships are made from 'strange metals';
how do those metals corrode? ie, what does "tholian space-rust" and weathering look like? :lol:
what are the plasmonic photo-optic properties of the tholian starship? :lol:

do Tholians have cloaking-devices? what does a Tholian 'decloaking' look like? :D
do tholians have a camo-scheme like aztecing?

do tholians have a cultural custom of 'bulkhead adornments' - analogous to 'nose art on aircraft'?
would that be their language, or religious figures etc? murals etc?
Do tholians know about hyper-geometry? would they put tesselations etc onto their craft?

-----
thanks for reading.
whatever you go with, I look forward to seeing what you do with your Tholian fleet!

TrekMD
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby TrekMD » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:42 pm

Looking nice!
Medicus ad astra, non laedant...

NoKhando
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Postby NoKhando » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:02 am

Kratok wrote:In my mind I have always seen Tholians with a metallic copper-hued hull, and orange-ish glowy bits.

Been years....May have to go back and watch The Tholian Web episode. Maybe that is where I picked it up....

Several decades ago I had some gaming miniatures painted copper with green details. I wonder if that came from a Starfleet Battles painting guide ?

Edit : Yes it did ! http://www.starfleetgames.com/minis/THN ... _Guide.pdf

Kratok

Postby Kratok » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:41 am

NoKhando wrote:
Kratok wrote:In my mind I have always seen Tholians with a metallic copper-hued hull, and orange-ish glowy bits.

Several decades ago I had some gaming miniatures painted copper with green details. I wonder if that came from a Starfleet Battles painting guide ?

Edit : Yes it did ! http://www.starfleetgames.com/minis/THN ... _Guide.pdf

Sweet! That's probably where I got the idea as well. I think gaming minis were the only Tholians I ever had, so that makes sense. Thanks!

Griffworks
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby Griffworks » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:52 am

Y’know, I think I did my old FASA Tholian mini’s up in a copper-ish theme, too. Wonder if I’ve still got those squirreled away somewhere...?
“And I looked, and behold a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.“

Return to “1/1000”