USS Daran, NCC-3201

WIP, finished kits and other 1/1000 discussion.
Griffworks
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

USS Daran, NCC-3201

Post by Griffworks »

This my interpretation / kitbash of the fan based design from Ships of the StarFleet, Vol I. It's very loosely based off the Daran-class fast frigate, below. Mine is just a little bit different, as you'll see.
fastfrigate_daran.jpg
fastfrigate_daran.jpg (77.48 KiB) Viewed 1320 times
Image from Starship Schematics DataBase.

The base kit is the 1/1000 scale Reliant from around 2, with the split impulse engine and saucer mounted navigational deflector from Federation Models. I chopped the very aft 11/2" / 1.2cm section off of the aft extended hull, cut one other roughly 1/3" / 1.5cm part off, then grafted the very aft section back on. I also cut off a couple of the detail pieces from the ventral surface, then added them back.
Daran001.JPG
Daran002.JPG
Daran003.JPG
Daran004.JPG
The "Assension" (sic) nacelles from FedMods I got had a nasty bow in them. I got them bent mostly back to shape with the Hot Water Method - heat the parts up in near-boiling water, bend/clamp to the proper angle you want, then dunk in cold water. I had to do this twice, with the second nacelle pic above showing the first treatment. It got the worst of it out on the second attempt, tho it's still noticeable if you're looking for it.
Daran005.JPG
Aft split impulse vents while under construction.

Inspiration on this basic kitbash came from John Payne's build of his Refit Era Dreadnought the USS Belisarius. In that build, John chopped a 1/537-ish Reliant kit up similarly to what I did here, then mounted it as the primary hull. I tried replicating the same for an earlier interpretation of the Daran-class more than 10 years ago, also using a 1/537-ish Reliant.

IM000038.jpg
This is a pic of my ill-fated USS Stark, NCC-3208, in 1/537 scale. As you can see, I also added two photorp decks, with the thinking there that they were routine removable with minimal work required, or even ejectable under emergency conditions.

Daran006.JPG
Daran007.JPG
Some more under construction.

I chose to keep the pylons on their outboard mounting points, as I did on my larger build. I also liked the idea of the extended hull having more of a taper, instead of being flat. It gives the ship a bit more overall internal volume, especially forward of the shuttle bays if I don't have them shoved all the way up towards the front of the upper angled hull. I also doubt I'll be adding the landing pads.
Daran008.JPG
Daran009.JPG
On my larger build, I had added photorp pods to the upper hull, which were made using the photorp superstructure from two AMT 1/537-ish Refit kits. This time around, I mounted tubes in the leading edge, as well as those included with the Federation Models split impulse engine piece. I also added the FedMods lower saucer mounted nav deflector, plus their Ascension-class LN-68 nacelles.

Still much work to do!
Last edited by Griffworks on Sat May 26, 2018 10:17 pm, edited 7 times in total.
“And I looked, and behold a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.“

My Flickr Albums
MSgtUSAFRet
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Re: USS Daran, NCC-3201

Post by MSgtUSAFRet »

This looks too cool, Griffworks!

Very nice job! Very clean, too!

Any more pics? You said you did a larger one as well?

Lemme know.

Steve
trekriffic
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by trekriffic »

Yes! More pics please! What a great design. Love the split impulse engine and the nav deflector, they really add a lot.

Great work Griff!

:dreadsbanana: :blondebanana: :ninjabanana:
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/
Scotchyn
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Scotchyn »

Awesome!!
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato »

Very kewel (I believe that's a Griff-certified word to use)! The stair-step along the sides of the extended hull look very natural. Certainly makes me thing of trying something similar
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.
Griffworks
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Griffworks »

Wow! Didn't realize I never came back to update thus thread.
Daran010.JPG
Daran011.JPG
Daran012.JPG
Adding ParaGrafix Modeling System photoetch to the hull.
Daran013.JPG
Showing where I did my best to blend the deflector lines all together. Putty and careful scribing while the putty was still a bit "wet" is all it took. Then very careful sanding with a piece of sand paper that was carefully bent in half to give me a nice, small and straight line of sandpaper in 600grit.
Last edited by Griffworks on Sat May 26, 2018 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“And I looked, and behold a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.“

My Flickr Albums
Griffworks
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Griffworks »

And another one of my ships that I seem to have stopped posting/updating about!

I’ll just mostly let the pics tell the tale. Not a whole lot to really tell, anyhow.

Daran014.JPG
Daran015.JPG
Daran016.JPG
Just some companion shots, I guess you might call them.
Daran017.JPG
Showing off where I added some extra navigational lights along the trailing edge of the upper hull. Nothing fancy, just a drop of CA.

Last edited by Griffworks on Sun May 27, 2018 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

My Flickr Albums
Griffworks
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Griffworks »

Another update after some more painting.
Daran021.JPG
Daran022.JPG
Daran023.JPG
Now I need to add decals, then weather her.

Last edited by Griffworks on Sun May 27, 2018 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

My Flickr Albums
Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral »

This is a sweet build.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.
Griffworks
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Griffworks »

Thank ya kindly, sir.

My Flickr Albums

Return to “1/1000”