Enterprise refit - first Trek kit in a while

WIP, finished kits and other 1/1000 discussion.
nova1972x
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Re: Enterprise refit - first Trek kit in a while

Postby nova1972x » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:37 pm

Great job so far!

And I love threads like this, and seeing the progress as it goes!

Griffworks
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby Griffworks » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:58 pm

Coming along nicely!

I'm curious to know - did you glue the pieces together or are you leaving them "snapped"? I'm working on several 1k kits at this time - 8 that are in the painting phase, a mix of plastic, resin, and plastic with resin detailing parts. The first one I built was the TOS Enterprise w/resin Endeavour conversion parts from JT Graphics, built around 10 or 12 years ago, then a Refit which was built about 6 or maybe 7 years ago.

Anyhow, both were snapped, and rattled horrible. So, I broke them down, removed some few locking pins and the like inside, then glued them together. They look tons better and no longer rattle. It sort of looks like you did the same, but I'm curious to know for certain.

Cosmotiger
Lighting Fast Lieutenant JG

Postby Cosmotiger » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:20 pm

Griffworks wrote:I'm curious to know - did you glue the pieces together or are you leaving them "snapped"?

I glue everything, and I modify the parts to remove the snap feature. I bore out the holes so the pegs fit loosely rather than snap, or trim off the locking tabs. I find it improves the fit, eliminates gaps and makes a more sturdy model (which sounds like the same conclusion you've reached.)

Cosmotiger

Postby Cosmotiger » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:07 pm

I got the secondary hull and the neck completed, but then I went on vacation. I hope to get some more work done this weekend.

This is the first time I've done a model with full aztec "wallpaper" decals. It's not that I'm one of those people that hates dealing with decals, but I am somewhat disappointed with how they go on and how they look when applied. The picture hides a multitude of tiny flaws. The decals are slightly brittle so I have a few tears. The decal film R2 uses is thick, so they don't conform to certain complex details, even with trimming/slits/decal solvent. I'm finding it hard to chase every little bubble out of the larger decals. Up to this point, I have not been cutting the larger decals into smaller parts, but I think that is one approach I will try going forward.

I'll continue to press on, but it's a little bit of a let down to find that the perfect smooth finish I had in my mind's eye is not how the finished model is going to look.
Attachments
secondary.jpg

mophius
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby mophius » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:22 pm

One trick is to pierce the bubble once the decal has set then cover with a softer decal solution or thinned solution so the decal doesn't tear or rip when setting. I have not tried it though as my decal applications have either been small ones or the decals have disintegrated, like R2 do.
There is no dark side of the moon really, matter of fact its all dark.

Imgur

trekriffic
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Postby trekriffic » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:58 pm

Ahhhh yes...the trials and travails of Round 2 wallpaper decal application. The good news is you can go back like mophius said after the decal has mostly dried and pierce any bubbles with a pin before brushing on more decal setting solution. For smaller ones you can dip a cotton swab in the solution and press it into the hole to really get it in underneath the decal film. Don't press too hard or too long though or you could tear it as it softens before it tightens up. Also if you have a bottle of Solvaset brush it on after the decal has set. The decal may appear to wrinkle but don't panic, once it dries it will smooth out as it evaporates and tightens the decal down. Just make sure not to touch it until it's fully cured. Solvaset is sort of the nuclear option for decals that won't cooperate with weaker solvents. I also found that an application of Future clear acrylic floor finish before and after application will help to seal the edges and protect the decals.
Now here's a trick... Future will also allow you to go back and paint over the decal.
For my own 1/1000 refit I couldn't get the strongback decals to go on without badly fragmenting, to the point where I had relatively large empty gaps. So after coating the area with Future I mixed up a batch of Model Master enamels matching the color of the strongback decal, thinnned it to a nice, smooth consistency and brushed it on over the top of the dried Future. The paint match was so close you can't tell where the decal ends and the paint begins. After the paint dried I brushed with more Future before applying a semi-gloss lacquer.

1/1000 Enterprise Refit by trekriffic, on Flickr

If you already know all of this please forgive me for my long post. I tend to over-explain things. Just one of my many faults.
Attachments
IMG_3456.JPG
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/

mophius
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby mophius » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:25 pm

I wouldn't call it rambling more re-explaining. Sometimes when you retell a certain instruction or story something will come across differently and you get a new understanding of that item.
There is no dark side of the moon really, matter of fact its all dark.

Imgur

Cosmotiger

Postby Cosmotiger » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:52 pm

I've been using Solvaset quite a bit, but it hadn't occurred to me to poke the bubbles and let it get underneath. I'll give that a try.
@trekriffic: ramble all you like, I'm always open to hearing about someone else's approach to the same issues. And using Future before doing decal touchups was new to me. :thumbsup:

trekriffic
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Postby trekriffic » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:30 pm

Cosmotiger wrote:I've been using Solvaset quite a bit, but it hadn't occurred to me to poke the bubbles and let it get underneath. I'll give that a try.
@trekriffic: ramble all you like, I'm always open to hearing about someone else's approach to the same issues. And using Future before doing decal touchups was new to me. :thumbsup:

There's also the trick of using a thinned solution of white glue in warm water to lay under the decal if it just doesn't want to stay down during initial application. I've used it a few times and it always works.
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/

Griffworks
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby Griffworks » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:30 am

Cosmotiger wrote:I've been using Solvaset quite a bit, but it hadn't occurred to me to poke the bubbles and let it get underneath. I'll give that a try.

I put decal solvent in the water I dip the decals in - just drop or three. Then I put some of that water, with an added drop of solvent, on the spot I intend to place the decal immediately after I put the decal in the water, which takes only seconds to do and I go right back to the decal. I then use the water to smooth out the decal, as required. Once that is done, I use decal Set.

All the above after a nice gloss coat, so that the decals have a baby butt smooth surface.

Return to “1/1000”