Federation Class Starship- Long haul Project 08/27/2016

WIP, finished kits and other 1/1000 discussion.
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Re: Federation Class Starship- Long haul Project 08/27/2016

Post by Moongrim »

It appears that Richard Baker is no longer on AST.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by Moongrim »

They arrived.
Fed 2.jpg
I can now proceed.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.
novahobbies
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by novahobbies »

All right! How about some pictures of the parts? I'd love to see how they look!
Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral »

One banana, :dancingbanana: to keep you going,
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by Moongrim »

novahobbies wrote:All right! How about some pictures of the parts? I'd love to see how they look!
I can now proceed, after I get over this cold...
- J.L.Picard.
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by Moongrim »

novahobbies wrote:All right! How about some pictures of the parts? I'd love to see how they look!
Fed 3.jpg
The newly arrived secondary hull parts are in the back (of course) It comes in three segments.
The front and rear sections together make up a standard Enterprise Refit hull length.
I've got my sawn in half hull alongside it for comparison.
Now with the secondary insert- I have a secondary hull that will end up being a bit longer than I'd calculated. BUT this isn't canon- so what the hey? Also the insert doesn't expand/contract in circumference, so it essentially comes down to being an extender joining the front and back. Again, not quite Canon...

But, I'm not thinking I could do better. Beggers can't be choosers.

I'm also using a conversion kit for several parts, from Federation Models- It's the same one I used in my Ascension Class Dreadnought.

So at this point: It's trim the Balson Secondary Hull of it's sprue and then join the three sections together (hopefully correctly- as my brain isn't always firing on all four cylinders some of the time). I do believe that I will be reinforcing the strength of the hull with some metal rod inserts. That too will be a challenge in it's placement. As I will be using additional rods in the placement of both the center warp engine, and the support rod for the display base.

Sitting on the warp engines- is the preliminary pylon. I've carved it into an appropriate shape, and managed to find a good beveling tool- a standard kitchen knife sharpener. Luckily the wife hasn't discovered my secondary use of such or otherwise she'd have gotten a bit terse with me.

The secondary hull can be made with the shuttle bay doors open and it's interior does have the option of decoration of the interior. Unfortunately- mine instructions with the set- mention decals, but the decals didn't come with it.

Let the sprue carving begin!
- J.L.Picard.
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by Moongrim »

It's been slow going of late, so I've not had as much free time to get time for one of my favorite hobbies (after breathing). Work overtime is increasing - the company decided to let folk's go in preparation for the new Administration.

Here I've removed the sprue- and drilled holes in preparation for the joining of the hull pieces. I added the brass rods for extra stability in the long term. I used two part epoxy to solidify them into place in the center portion and eventually at their end points in each of the other hull pieces. And of course- CYA to join the hulls together.
Fed 4.jpg

Here is the joined product. It was a bit of a challenge insuring that the hull pieces were not only smooth/flat, but also lined up properly to match the hull lines. I must say Modular Models did a good job with making sure of such. But even the best- there are about two spots where I needed to make a groove or two to insure continuity between lines.

At this point I've marked out the center line to prep for the groove to emplace the neck and eventually the W.E.pylon. Judging the location, it appears that the best spot for the pylon will be just forward of the shuttle bay.
Fed 5.jpg
- J.L.Picard.
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by Moongrim »

It's rather hard to accomplish anything- when your house is either cut off from power, or you're having to work overtime because other places are cut off from power.
- J.L.Picard.
Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral »

Give me power, power
Wonder working power.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.
Gidiot
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Gidiot »

Moongrim wrote:It's rather hard to accomplish anything- when your house is either cut off from power, or you're having to work overtime because other places are cut off from power.
But then, how else do you keep your reputation as a 'Miracle worker' ?

Return to “1/1000”