Refitting a Potemkin Refit

WIP, finished kits and other 1/1000 discussion.
Drop_Bear
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Re: Refitting a Potemkin Refit

Postby Drop_Bear » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:58 pm

DefiantClient wrote:Ah okay, it definitely blocks some light, but the lesson learned is, make sure it's in parts when done. At least now we all know it isn't a great idea to do it when if's assembled. :)

Also: Just because the paint isn't flowing into the recesses fast enough, doesn't mean you should keep pouring paint into them.
"On the internet, no one knows you're a cat." - Intentional misquote of a popular adage.

My flikr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/photos/132558716@N02/albums

Drop_Bear
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby Drop_Bear » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:05 am

I have encountered a bit of a problem that will prevent me from painting Potemkin for at least three weeks. Humidity. It's the rainy season where I am and the humidity means painting is out of the question. The humidity has already damaged another model I was clear coating. I need to pay more attention to the weather... :doh: So this little project is on hold for a while.
"On the internet, no one knows you're a cat." - Intentional misquote of a popular adage.

DefiantClient
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby DefiantClient » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:51 am

I haven't been able to gloss coat my Enterprise because of the freezing cold weather. I know the crappy weather pain! I'm in the northeast US so our winters get weird. it is allegedly going to be 50F this week so I may actually be able to clear coat and decal by then! Then knowing our lick, we'll get a damn blizzard by the end of Next week. :lol:

Drop_Bear
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby Drop_Bear » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:02 am

Yeah, well what can you do? I wish you you luck with clear coating; considering how housebound the people in your region must be in winter you deserve a break.

Tesral
Anything Goes Admiral
Anything Goes Admiral

Postby Tesral » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:35 am

Drop_Bear wrote:Yeah, well what can you do? I wish you you luck with clear coating; considering how housebound the people in your region must be in winter you deserve a break.

Oh no. Being hardy natives of the frigid north we frolic naked though the snow. Seriously there is this whole category called "winter sports.". Beach going might be curtailed due to the hardness of the water, but stay indoors? No more than usual.

There is a certain ethereal beauty to new fallen snow on a sharply cold day.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

Drop_Bear
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby Drop_Bear » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:12 am

Er... I hope you are joking about the nude frolicking, Tesral. If not... try and keep that sort of thing to yourself. :) I get the message. What I said was pretty ignorant, but I meant well.

All this talk of snow... I think I might take an alpine holiday at Perisher next year. I want to see this powdery stuff for myself.

DefiantClient
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby DefiantClient » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:29 pm

What, are naked snow angels not your thing? Ha! :lol:

Seriously though I hate winter and would prefer a good hot day over freezing and snow. If you've never seen it though, I suppose it's worth a trip to a mountain. My city, though it gets dumped on every year, really doesn't handle snow emergencies well at all. But I've been here my whole life and my family and friends are here so no REAL reason to leave.

Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)

Postby Moongrim » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:10 pm

DefiantClient wrote:What, are naked snow angels not your thing? Ha! :lol:

Seriously though I hate winter and would prefer a good hot day over freezing and snow. If you've never seen it though, I suppose it's worth a trip to a mountain. My city, though it gets dumped on every year, really doesn't handle snow emergencies well at all. But I've been here my whole life and my family and friends are here so no REAL reason to leave.

Family and friends- always makes life better.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.

trekriffic
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Postby trekriffic » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:57 pm

DefiantClient wrote:I haven't been able to gloss coat my Enterprise because of the freezing cold weather.

Have you tried warming up your can of clearcoat in warm water for 5 minutes prior to spraying out in the cold? That should do the trick.
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/

DefiantClient
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby DefiantClient » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:44 pm

If it's anything like primer, the can isn't the problem. I'm afraid of the clear coat cracking and/or not drying properly because of the cold air. I've had primer do this immediately when it hits the surface. if you think that won't be an issue, I'll give it a shot.

On the plus side, it's pushing 50f today and I may be okay to clear coat! WOOT!

Return to “1/1000”