Refitting a Potemkin Refit

WIP, finished kits and other 1/1000 discussion.
DefiantClient
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Re: Refitting a Potemkin Refit

Postby DefiantClient » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:01 pm

I am so glad it worked out well. Don't worry too much about getting the primer off the surface when you're scrubbing. The Simple Green probably won't get all or any of it, unfortunately.

Drop_Bear
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby Drop_Bear » Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:40 am

Thanks for suggesting I use it. My excitement and delight with it does show a little, doesn't it?

And another update today...

I repeated the same steps I took yesterday, this time scrubbing the model like there was no tomorrow. It was rather enjoyable, really. My favourite radio station was running a playlist entitled "One Year in One Hour", and I had 1993, 1971, 1979, and 1987 playing while I worked. I was only slightly annoyed to discover that the Simple Green almost totally destroyed the superglue holding the resin parts to the styrene. The torpedo launchers were the first to come off; later I deliberately broke the B/C deck away from the saucer. The B/C deck has always bugged me, seeing as I didn't install it correctly in the first place (fitting it in top of instead of flush with the hull).

My heavy scrubbing has removed most of the remaining paint and primer and given me a nice clean surface to work with. On the downside I need to reapply glue to some parts of the model, as there are things that have come loose due to weakening of the glue.

Because I have done all my scrubbing and rinsing in a separate liquid, my A$30 of Simple Green is still fairly clean and can be reused. Today's scrubbing water looks like apple puree. Yesterday it looked like grey water.
"On the internet, no one knows you're a cat." - Intentional misquote of a popular adage.

My flikr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/photos/132558716@N02/albums

DefiantClient
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby DefiantClient » Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:02 pm

I am such an arse. I can't believe I didn't mention it would destroy superglue. For some reason, I thought this was a vanilla build and you only used bonding cement like from Testors or plastruct. I'm very very sorry, but thankfully it seems like it wasn't a project killer.

I'm a filthy "everything is disposable" type american so I never reused my simple green. I suppose I could filter used stuff and reuse it in the future to save some $$$.

Drop_Bear
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby Drop_Bear » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:11 pm

Don't beat yourself up. I could have been clearer about the nature of my model, but I also already knew what Simple Green would do the superglue. You did nothing wrong.

You haven't tried reusing it? That doesn't necessarily make you wasteful. I briefly read somewhere that running it through a coffee filter will get rid of any crap in it.
"On the internet, no one knows you're a cat." - Intentional misquote of a popular adage.

MEATLOAFr
Rampaging Rear Admiral (LH)
Rampaging Rear Admiral (LH)

Postby MEATLOAFr » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:31 am

Drop_Bear wrote:You haven't tried reusing it? That doesn't necessarily make you wasteful. I briefly read somewhere that running it through a coffee filter will get rid of any crap in it.

Could just let it sit and let the crud settle to the bottom
If the world ends tomorrow, it's ALL YOUR FAULT!!!

Custom Decals, and Vinyl Cutting services available

DefiantClient
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby DefiantClient » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:44 am

Eh, I was just going to use a screen and a funnel. Good enough, I say. :lol:

Drop_Bear
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby Drop_Bear » Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:50 am

Yep. That'll do it. I was going to suggest a container with a bung slightly above the bottom so that you can drain the liquid but leave behind a sediment rich slurry; but that's an even better idea. :lol:

Potemkin is now out of her rinsing bath and drying on my workbench. I didn't get as much paint and primer as I thought I did... but that doesn't matter. Now, I was going to limit myself to general repairs and finishing work with the model, but after doing some thinking (always a dangerous thing in this hobby, it seems :lol:) I have decided to make some improvements to make it more screen accurate. Well, screen plausible, since we only saw Potemkin once, in TOS: The Ultimate Computer. I noticed on one of my reference pictures (below) that the portside gangway hatch is a raised detail. I can replicate that with very small pieces of styrene. Something else I'm going to do is sand the ridiculous stock arboretum windows smooth and replace them with decals. I have ordered a set of Phobos class decals from Multi-Verse Models that have an officers' lounge graphic that simulates an actual 3D interior. I hope that after studying it I can accomplish the same thing with the arboretum.

By the way, does anyone have any experience with Humbrol paint? I'm starting to wonder if I've been using crappy paint, because Potemkin's strongback was painted with what Humbrol claims to be light grey. This colour consistently comes out sand.

DefiantClient
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby DefiantClient » Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:12 pm

I know nothing about the Humbrol line of paints. When I was using Enamels ( I assume you use enamel. Practically everyone here does.), I used Testors Model Master line. I think their light (ghost?) grey is a little lighter than the Constitutions I've recently painted and is what I used to used for Federation hull color. I liked their darker greys which I would have also used on the parts your describing if I didn't switch to acryllics.

Drop_Bear
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby Drop_Bear » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:45 am

Yep, I use enamal. It works for me, so I have never wondered why.

Thanks for the tip. Testors is good stuff, I understand. Sadly I can't easily get it online down here. That's why I use Humbrol, actually; it's the only enamal sold by my local toystore. Not a sound reason for choosing a brand of paint, I know, but some things you want today instead of tomorrow or next week. :lol: I like your Connie, but after seeing it I have decided on-screen grey is not my thing. So I'm actually going for blue tones this time.
Last edited by Drop_Bear on Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Drop_Bear
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby Drop_Bear » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:56 am

Notice anything different? :P

Well, the refit has begun in earnest. Potemkin has now been broken down into her major subassemblies and I am about two-thirds of the way through the repairs and modifications. Here is what I have been up to today.

Image Image
click or tap images to enlarge

First up, tailoring the primary hull so that the Tetryon Parts B/C deck will fit better. This thing is a work of art! Just see for yourself.

Tetryon Parts' instructions tell you to remove the stock B/C deck by drilling out holes around it, then cutting the remaining plastic. I didn't have a Dremel when I put Potemkin together, so I simply cut the B/C deck away with a saw and glued the replacement part on top of the hull. I thought I was being clever at the time, but I have always regretted the decision. I placed the B/C deck/bridge on the primary hull and traced around it. Next, I enlarged the hole to suit by peeling away the plastic with my knife. I also did some sanding and filing to keep things smooth.

During the final test fitting the B/C deck slotted in perfectly. Why I couldn't do this over a year ago, I will never know. The part is just sitting on some crumpled paper stuffed inside the saucer in this photo, but when I do fit it I will first glue some styrene around the edge of the to create a lip to glue it to.

I didn't go nuts and decal the dorsal pylon; I actually replaced it. The old one... was cactus. Absolutely bloody cactus. The pins were knackered and it just wouldn't seat properly. This is a major structural component, so instead of bodging a fix I decided it would be best to just replace it. Lucky for me I had this one leftover from my long dismantled Refit Enterprise.

Of course, it had to be modified a little; so today I have a little "how-to" for everyone.

click or tap to enlarge

In my books this is a "must have" accessory for the little Polar Lights Enterprise Refit. These torpedo launchers are also made by Tetryon Parts and are dead easy to fit. I could do it blindfolded. Come to think of it, I could put this kit together blindfolded and upside down, Major Payne style. I have built three of them so far and have at least one more in store for this year. What can I say? Connies are fun to build. :lol:

I can't remember what the instructions call for, but to do it my way you are going to need a knife and a handsaw.

Normally you wouldn't do this with an assembled dorsal pylon, but I am not breaking this one trying to take it apart. Start by measuring how much of the stock torpedo launcher housing to cut away. You do this by laying the replacement part against it.

Next, take your knife and, angling it 45 degrees, make your horizontal cut along the edge of the pylon and housing.

Then, use the saw to make the vertical cut.

And there you have it! Well, not quite...

(continued next page)
Last edited by Drop_Bear on Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “1/1000”