A look at Ugh Models 1/1000 scale Oberth class science ship

WIP, finished kits and other 1/1000 discussion.
cosika321
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

A look at Ugh Models 1/1000 scale Oberth class science ship

Post by cosika321 »

Hi, I thought I'd just post a little review for Ugh Models 1/1000 scale Oberth class kit. I really like this little kit. I've picked up two of them and am thinking about maybe getting a third later on.

A look at the box art:
ImageUOC 1 by Christian Osika, on Flickr

And a couple of pics of the kit parts. They are nicely cast and from what I can tell, very accurate in shape and most details.

ImageUOC 2 by Christian Osika, on Flickr
ImageUOC 3 by Christian Osika, on Flickr

A look at the decal sheet. The decals are nicely done, but since the sheet is longer than the box, it gets kinda wrapped around on the ends. You get a choice of three ship names, Oberth, Von Braun and Pegasus. It would have been nice to get Grissom since that is the first ship of the class seen and the one I'd bet most modelers would choose to build, but that's a minor thing. I'm sure someone in the aftermarket decal world can and will put out a supplemental sheet at some point in the future.
ImageUOC 4 by Christian Osika, on Flickr

This kit is a substantial improvement on the old Dark Star Oberth kit that was later re-issued by Delta Quadrant. Here are a couple of pics of the Ugh kit (in blue resin) with the Dark Star (in gray resin). The old Dark Star kit is a good deal larger, and much more simplified in shape and detail. The shape of the "saucer" being the worst. On the Dark Star kit it's more dome-like, while the Ugh kit's saucer has a much more accurate shape to it.
ImageUOC 5 by Christian Osika, on Flickr
ImageUOC 6 by Christian Osika, on Flickr
ImageUOC 7 by Christian Osika, on Flickr

All in all a really nice kit that should look great next to the R2 Refit, Reliant and Excelsior/Enterprise-B!
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Re: A look at Ugh Models 1/1000 scale Oberth class science ship

Post by Moongrim »

Methinks I'm gonna have to budget for one of these... 8-)
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.
andyh
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by andyh »

I'm not a big fan of 1/1000 kits but this looks very tempting :)

Andy
Quark_1961
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Post by Quark_1961 »

Ugh! Models now includes the Grissom as a fourth name and registry choice. At least they did in the kit I just got. Bought the Jester class they sell too. Now I have Oberths and Jesters in 1/2500, 1/1400, 1/1000, and the Oberth only in 1/537. Guess that means I'll have to buy another 1/537 Oberth and replace the sensor with a photon torpedo pod from a 1/537 Miranda that got converted into a DS9 Saratoga. Must complete the scale and have a 1/537 Jester too right? Not much OCD here!

Thanks for the review! It sent me off to buy yet more models from Ugh! I had the Delta Quadrant 1/1000 Oberth so I was gonna skip Ugh's model but your review and their release of the 1/1000 Jester class pushed me over the edge. Doubly glad because now I have a spare Oberth to build a diorama I've wanted to build for some time. Yep, you guessed it. My DQ Oberth is going to be the USS Pegasus stuck in an asteroid. Why so many Oberth's? It's one of my favorite ship designs. True, I wasn't thrilled about seeing the Grissom turn into confetti with a single shot but I've always loved the lines. It reminds me of a bird, but a peaceful bird rather than a KBOP rapter type bird.
Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #208

"Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer."
cosika321
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by cosika321 »

Quark_1961 wrote:Ugh! Models now includes the Grissom as a fourth name and registry choice. At least they did in the kit I just got. Bought the Jester class they sell too. Now I have Oberths and Jesters in 1/2500, 1/1400, 1/1000, and the Oberth only in 1/537. Guess that means I'll have to buy another 1/537 Oberth and replace the sensor with a photon torpedo pod from a 1/537 Miranda that got converted into a DS9 Saratoga. Must complete the scale and have a 1/537 Jester too right? Not much OCD here!

Thanks for the review! It sent me off to buy yet more models from Ugh! I had the Delta Quadrant 1/1000 Oberth so I was gonna skip Ugh's model but your review and their release of the 1/1000 Jester class pushed me over the edge. Doubly glad because now I have a spare Oberth to build a diorama I've wanted to build for some time. Yep, you guessed it. My DQ Oberth is going to be the USS Pegasus stuck in an asteroid. Why so many Oberth's? It's one of my favorite ship designs. True, I wasn't thrilled about seeing the Grissom turn into confetti with a single shot but I've always loved the lines. It reminds me of a bird, but a peaceful bird rather than a KBOP rapter type bird.
Yes, Grissom is now available. Ugh sent me a little slip with the name/number when I ordered the Jester.

I was also going to skip it because I had the old Dark Star kit (which is also the Delta Quadrant kit), but glad I decided to say what the hell and get one...OK, two :D It is a much better kit.
suwalski
Erratic Ensign
Erratic Ensign

Post by suwalski »

The "backpack" on the top of the main hull of the Darkstar kit is far more accurate. Otherwise, the Ugh kit looks better.
Pat Suwalski @ Tetryon Parts.
Rio
Erratic Ensign
Erratic Ensign

Post by Rio »

It’s been a while, but Round2 has finally announced their next Star Trek kits. They will be producing the Oberth and BoP in 1/1000 scale. Both kits will be boxed together.
I also have the UGH! Models’ Oberth and Jester in 1/1000 scale.
One of my favorite ships in the Star Trek universe, needless to say, I’ll be ordering a CASE of these kits for several conversions.
News from Round 2’s blog:
https://www.collectormodel.com/round2-mo ... UvcMx.dpbs

Happy Modeling and Happy New 2018 year! It sure will be a nice year for Sci Fi!.
Rio
<*>
Semper Sci Fi!
holt35
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by holt35 »

Yeah I was looking at the Ugh models Grissom the other day and I'm thinking about picking one up instead of the R2 kit because I'm not really happy with the size they are going with. I do feel like the Ugh kits saucer bend is a little to sharp but I'm pretty sure that can be fixed with a little sanding and scribing work.
andyh
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by andyh »

holt35 wrote:Yeah I was looking at the Ugh models Grissom the other day and I'm thinking about picking one up instead of the R2 kit because I'm not really happy with the size they are going with. I do feel like the Ugh kits saucer bend is a little to sharp but I'm pretty sure that can be fixed with a little sanding and scribing work.
Holt, you are dead on there. I’ve got an Oberth in 1/2500, 1/1400 and 1/537 and they ALL seem to be scaled to a 150 meter ship. Even if some dork at Paramount decided 120 meters is official, it makes the interior and exterior of the Oberth non sensical.

Bad move Round 2, I’m also going for the Ugh models one (which is at least scaled comparably to every other version of this model ever released.

Andy
holt35
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by holt35 »

Let me know what you think when you get one andyh! I still haven't picked one up myself.

Return to “1/1000”