Bragging Rights Contest 2015 - El Gato's Entry - WITHDRAWN

Fan Organized "Just For Fun" Group Build.
Greyryder
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Re: Bragging Rights Contest 2015 - El Gato's Entry

Postby Greyryder » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:45 pm

el gato wrote:First casting. It's full of holes! Mostly just beneath the surface of the skin, but still :(

That's why I stopped using Smooth-On resin. I had that problem consistently. I swear the stuff is self carbonating.

cannon fodder
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby cannon fodder » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:02 am

What would cause that? It looks good.

The Eye of Error
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Postby The Eye of Error » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:42 am

If you don't have a pressure pot for casting , then the best trick is to dye the resin. Using a resin dye thins the viscosity of the resin in its wet state and allows more air bubbles to release before that catalysation process begins. It would remove like 80% of your bubbles :)

MEATLOAFr
Rampaging Rear Admiral (LH)
Rampaging Rear Admiral (LH)

Postby MEATLOAFr » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:38 pm

The Eye of Error wrote:If you don't have a pressure pot for casting , then the best trick is to dye the resin. Using a resin dye thins the viscosity of the resin in its wet state and allows more air bubbles to release before that catalysation process begins. It would remove like 80% of your bubbles :)

just remember to increase the time before de-molding
If the world ends tomorrow, it's ALL YOUR FAULT!!!

Custom Decals, and Vinyl Cutting services available

Steam235
Captain USS December
Captain USS December

Postby Steam235 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:20 am

This is very cool. Have you done much molding?

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Postby el gato » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:22 pm

Greyryder wrote:
el gato wrote:First casting. It's full of holes! Mostly just beneath the surface of the skin, but still :(

That's why I stopped using Smooth-On resin. I had that problem consistently. I swear the stuff is self carbonating.

Good eye, Greyryder. That was indeed Smooth-On. The first three Tardii casted were Smooth-On, the last two was Brand X (Micro Mark). For whatever reason the other two-Smooth-On casts were fine. The second one was *perfect* except I clamped the molds too hard so the result was a bent Tardis. :( BTW, the bubbles were mostly all underneath the skin. Once I primed it to get a better look at the damage, most were no longer visible. I guess they were prominent because of the light going through the material.

All Tardii had some flaws on one side, I'm thinking it was the way the two sides of the mold mated. I've selected which cast I'll use for this contest and am currently working on it. I am pretty optimistic I'll make the June 30 deadline.

The Eye of Error wrote:If you don't have a pressure pot for casting , then the best trick is to dye the resin. Using a resin dye thins the viscosity of the resin in its wet state and allows more air bubbles to release before that catalysation process begins. It would remove like 80% of your bubbles :)

Dye? I've never heard of this tip. You mean "dye" like the type you use for dying clothes?

Steam235 wrote:This is very cool. Have you done much molding?

Thanks! Yes and no. I've cast small parts, things that I want duplicates of for my own nefarious purposes. Nothing this big before. What's annoying is that the small parts I cast using the same batch that bubbled up my Tardis came out flawless
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

Greyryder
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby Greyryder » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:55 pm

I went back to using Polytek resin.

Smooth-On, Polytek, and I'm sure others sell dyes specifically for coloring resin.

The Eye of Error
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Postby The Eye of Error » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:22 am

This is the dye I mean: http://www.smooth-on.com/Urethane-Plast ... index.html

I don't use plain white resin anymore, I always tint it grey cause of the bubbles issue. But like Meatloafr said, it does increase the molding time a bit.

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Postby el gato » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:29 am

I'll try it for next time.

I have to say I'll either make it under the wire or I'll be this close but no cigar. I can't tell at the moment.
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

cannon fodder
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby cannon fodder » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:03 am

Any update pics?

Return to “2015 Group Build (Closed)”