NCC1966 Entry - Pre-TOS Scratch Build - WITHDRAW

Fan Organized "Just For Fun" Group Build.
NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Re: NCC1966 Entry - Pre-TOS Scratch Build

Postby NCC1966 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:39 pm

Moongrim wrote:"Borrowed" from your wife's coffee machine?
I'd imagine that she'll want it back...eventually.

In fact it didn't work exactly like this... My wife was constantly complaining about the stupid coffee machine (that one that uses paper filter) because the filter always got jammed and the coffee became watered down. Every day at the breakfast she complained about the same thing. Every day. So I said that I would buy a decent sophisticated cool big espresso coffee machine to end with the problem. I really would. But then she said "Don't do that, it is too much expensive!". Then I had a dilemma: her daily complains really hurt my heart but she didn't want me to spend so much in the solution. So I bought her an aluminum moka coffee maker for $5. She loved it. The coffee never failed again. She dumped the stupid coffee machine. I borrowed the part.

:mrgreen:

The new $5 moka coffe maker:

PS: I know what you may be thinking. What? $5? Yeah, no kidding. FIVE bucks. Plus shipping.

8-)

Moongrim wrote:Nice work on the nacelles...

Thanks!

:)
Thanks,

Yan.

trekriffic
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Postby trekriffic » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:38 pm

Dang these hodge-podge-make-from-found-items builds are great! Sooooooo entertaining! Really enjoying this. :lol: 8-)
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/

NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby NCC1966 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:26 pm

Thanks for the cheering Trekriffic!

:D
Thanks,

Yan.

NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby NCC1966 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:31 pm

Here it goes a small progress!

First the pylon structure turned better than I supposed. The idea of gluing it to thin plastic blade didn't work (the plastic stripped easily from the structure) but it didn't cause any harm because the two jewel box pieces joined strongly together. Now I have to paint it to inspect the seam. Anyway, here it is the pictures!

And here a dry-run on how the structure should join to the nacelles:

Thanks,

Yan.

NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby NCC1966 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:38 pm

Next step was to take care of the shuttle bay. I looked for something that had the right size and shape but I couldn't find anything to fulfill the need, so I decided to build one from scratch. Among my research I found a nice source of plastic. This:

Observe the shape and texture of the handle. Did you notice how it can be easily transformed in a modern nacelle? Oh yeah, my next project will be some kind of Runabout using a pair of shaver handles as nacelles. No kidding!

Ok, so my orc ego entered in action and dismembered one of these handles in small plastic parts. After some cutting, sanding, gluing and more sanding, I ended with this (the shuttle bay):

I enjoyed the lines along the plastic!

After the painting I got this:

It was painted with gun metal and the door with chrome silver.

Last edited by NCC1966 on Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks,

Yan.

NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby NCC1966 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:46 pm

Finally I started to work in the impulse engine. This time I got something that needed small working: just some dismembering and sanding. I found in my junkyard box an old malfunction multi-tester cable. Of course what interested me was the tip:

After to "gently" remove the metallic pin with a big pliers and some orc strength applied to, I gave it a big shaving with a coarse grit sandpaper. At the end, using a thin tip pliers I removed the piece of wire from its back, ending with it:

After the painting, the shuttle bay will be installed over the impulse engine and both will be mounted at the back of the saucer (as mostly of big Federation ships).

Thanks,

Yan.

trekriffic
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Postby trekriffic » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:37 pm

Good stuff! I love that you use your "orc" strength. Reminds me of my high school days. My buddy and I were big Tolkien fans; we even developed alter egos for ourselves based on the LOTR books. He was an elf and I was a troll. I even had a troll name: Skargyl. We were such nerds. Good times...
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/

NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby NCC1966 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:53 pm

trekriffic wrote:Good stuff! I love that you use your "orc" strength. Reminds me of my high school days. My buddy and I were big Tolkien fans; we even developed alter egos for ourselves based on the LOTR books. He was an elf and I was a troll. I even had a troll name: Skargyl. We were such nerds. Good times...

Sometimes the only thing that works is the "orc" strength. At such moments everything else seems to fail. Also the orc alter ego solves not only for remove, insert or take apart stubborn stuff. It also calms down and put yourself on a perfect axle of balance!

Now regarding to Tolkien the only book I managed to read completely was "The Hobbit". I tried to read the LOR trilogy but couldn't pass from the first volume. Literally "heavy reading"!

Thanks,

Yan.

Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)

Postby Moongrim » Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:18 pm

NCC1966 wrote:
trekriffic wrote:Good stuff! I love that you use your "orc" strength. Reminds me of my high school days. My buddy and I were big Tolkien fans; we even developed alter egos for ourselves based on the LOTR books. He was an elf and I was a troll. I even had a troll name: Skargyl. We were such nerds. Good times...

Sometimes the only thing that works is the "orc" strength. At such moments everything else seems to fail. Also the orc alter ego solves not only for remove, insert or take apart stubborn stuff. It also calms down and put yourself on a perfect axle of balance!

Now regarding to Tolkien the only book I managed to read completely was "The Hobbit". I tried to read the LOR trilogy but couldn't pass from the first volume. Literally "heavy reading"!

I get the feeling you'll never get around to Silmarillion.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.

NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby NCC1966 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:41 pm

Moongrim wrote:I get the feeling you'll never get around to Silmarillion.

Nope, the only books I read was "The Hobbit" and first volume of LOR. My mother was a big fan though. She read every single Tolkien book, including the "Silmarillion" that I remember she saying that it was confusing. But it was around 30 years ago. Now my mother has passed away over a decade ago so I never will have the opportunity to talk about it with her again.

:(

Anyway, I confess that although I like such type of fantasy universe I am not a big fan of Tolkien work because there are too many names, places and stuff to remember so I usually feel confused about the plot. It's just like every new season of GOT when I spend 1/3 of the episodes to get what they are talking about!

:lol:

I am more of simplier stuff like "The Shannara Chronicles", that I absolutely loved!

Thanks,

Yan.

Return to “2016 Group Build (Closed)”