El Gato's entry: TOS Constellation Class - DONE!

Fan Organized "Just For Fun" Group Build.
DefiantClient
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Re: El Gato's entry: TOS Constellation Class

Postby DefiantClient » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:26 pm

el gato wrote:Thanks! Funny, that side shot annoys me. I didn't make the linear accelerator tall enough when I drew it. I didn't take into account the width of the saucer. Otherwise it's perfect. I'm going to correct that before the body makes it to the shop...

Shaped the thingies a little more. Now I just have to sand the sides a little more and they're ready to be placed on the nacelles

2016-06-26 18.23.17.jpg

Eh, to me, those are the little things that get corrected later in the build or at another point. The side view has all the lines that make the Constellation class recognizable. Can't wait for this to be in the shop. Let me (and all of us, I guess...) know when it's up because I really would love to have this for myself.

I just realized those are the little "radiator" fins you're scratchbuilding. Very small and very fine work. I had no idea what they were, though I was tired when I posted this last night so thinkng hard wasn't really on my agenda. :lol:

NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby NCC1966 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:58 pm

I never paid too much attention to this class of ship, it looks nice! Great progresses, EG!

:)
Thanks,

Yan.

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Postby el gato » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:40 pm

NCC1966 wrote:I never paid too much attention to this class of ship, it looks nice! Great progresses, EG!

:)

Thanks NCC1966!

So today I wanted to finish the nacelles. I started with measuring where they went. I sanded off the long & square thingies because I needed to reorient each pair of nacelles. I measured where the greebles would go & how far they should be from the back end:

2016-07-04 14.34.21.jpg

After about 40 hair-raising/pulse-quickening minutes, I managed to get them located where they should go:

2016-07-04 14.35.28.jpg

Quick check to make sure I aligned the long & square thingies OK:

2016-07-04 14.36.02.jpg

And here is the alignment: I wanted the top pair of nacelles with a vent that faced "down" and the bottom pair of nacelles with vents facing "up." The logic being that the nacelles were paired up side-to-side, not top port nacelle with top starboard nacelle, etc.:

2016-07-04 14.36.37.jpg

And here they are, finished:

2016-07-04 14.37.26.jpg

Next up: placing the nacelles on the body...
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

DefiantClient
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby DefiantClient » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:54 pm

Loving those itty bitty fins.

Drop_Bear
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby Drop_Bear » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:24 am

Great work, el gato I like the neatness of your engineering.

The way you worded your thinking behind the nacelles and their orientation has me wondering... just which side is "up" on a Constellation? WIth an Intrepid or Constitution you have a clear and definite "top" and "bottom", but the Constellation is uniquely symmetrical along its fore/aft plane. I could argue, and not have to justify myself, that the correct orientation is sideways! And how do the nacelles work? In top/bottom pairs? Side/side pairs? All at once? In theory they should also work just as well in diagonal pairs! What a confusing ship! :lol:
"On the internet, no one knows you're a cat." - Intentional misquote of a popular adage.

My flikr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/photos/132558716@N02/albums

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Postby el gato » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:17 pm

Thanks for the kind comments, D_B! You know, I hadn't actually thought of the orientation. I always assumed the "top" was at the bridge, but you're right, it is symmetrical fore/aft. I'm totally confused now :lol:
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Postby el gato » Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:16 am

I've been away and/or sick for the last three weeks. So here's a badly needed update. The assembly occurred two weekends ago before I got sick:

2016-08-05 19.09.48.jpg

2016-08-05 19.10.43.jpg

2016-08-05 19.11.36.jpg

I'm starting to feel a little better, so I'm currently in the process of priming.

shiftdel
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby shiftdel » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:26 pm

It is looking freaking awesome! Amazing how you guys put these ideas into practice...

Kremin
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby Kremin » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:41 pm

That is looking well hot now

Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)

Postby Moongrim » Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:43 pm

Ooooooh! 8-)

She's really starting to look good!
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.

Return to “2016 Group Build (Closed)”