Cubey Terra's captured D7, USS Anger - DONE

Fan Organized "Just For Fun" Group Build.
Cubey Terra
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Cubey Terra's captured D7, USS Anger - DONE

Post by Cubey Terra »

I went ahead and started building without properly reading the rules. Sorry, and I hope I'm not disqualified, but if I am, I totally understand. My first photo should have been all the various parts, unassembled. Instead, my first photo is after the first hours of work.

My plan is to build a Klingon D7 battle cruiser from this 1:1000 scale snap-together kit. Parts are whatever is in the D7 kit plus decals from assorted other kits. The "twist" I mention in the title comes in the paint scheme I'm planning, but won't reveal until later for dramatic timing. :)

Edit: Updated the photo to include today's date.
Last edited by Cubey Terra on Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
Julien
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Re: Cubey Terra's Klingon D7 with a twist 1:1000 scale

Post by Julien »

You've only put together a few things, so that's ok.

But can you take a picture to where you are now with something that shows the date ?

That's a nice project ! I look forward to see what your twist is !
The Belgian Builder
Cubey Terra
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Post by Cubey Terra »

I replaced my first picture with one with the date in it.
Julien
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by Julien »

Good enough ! ;)
The Belgian Builder
Cubey Terra
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Post by Cubey Terra »

This kit is so easy to put together. Small amount of putty/sanding then a thin coat of grey. Because of the blue/green of the base plastic, now it's the colour of toothpaste. More coats of grey to come.

Mmm, minty fresh! :drool:

Drop_Bear
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by Drop_Bear »

That is such a beautiful colour. But did you have to mention mint? I'm addicted to mints and now I have to buy a packet of them while I'm at the chemist today because of you. :P
"On the internet, no one knows you're a cat." - Intentional misquote of a popular adage.

My flikr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/photos/132558716@N02/albums
Cubey Terra
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Post by Cubey Terra »

Drop_Bear wrote:That is such a beautiful colour. But did you have to mention mint? I'm addicted to mints and now I have to buy a packet of them while I'm at the chemist today because of you. :P
Don't forget to brush your teeth after. With minty toothpaste.
Cubey Terra
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Re: Cubey Terra's Klingon D7 1:1000 scale

Post by Cubey Terra »

Puttied, sanded, and painted a base coat. Because I was hurrying, I missed some seams. Not my finest work.

The paint is driving me nuts. I've put down five coats of Humbrol grey 147, but it still looks bluish to me. Maybe it's my eyes. :?

What's the "twist"? I don't know now. I've gotten this far, and now I think I missed a great opportunity to do something cool, like swapping out the nacelles for something else. No, the twist is going to be just a paint scheme. Meh.
Cubey Terra
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Re: Cubey Terra's Klingon D7 1:1000 scale

Post by Cubey Terra »

Finally adding a bit more detail and colour.

"NOW STOP RIGHT THERE!" I hear you all shout simultaneously. "Those aren't Klingon colours!"

OK, you got me. Those aren't. This is a captured D7 pressed into Starfleet active duty. Unlikely, sure, but it's my ship. :)

They'd have to refit with standard Starfleet tech in the nacelles to make it easier to acquire suitable engineers and replacement parts — so we have red bussard collectors and blue whatsits. I also pushed the original series colours by including copper and darker grey accents. I'm going to scrounge my decal collection for enough Starfleet logos and red stripes to finish it up.

Unfortunately, I don't think I have enough ship names or registry numbers to make anything convincing. Not sure what to do there.
Drop_Bear
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by Drop_Bear »

Cubey Terra wrote:OK, you got me. Those aren't. This is a captured D7 pressed into Starfleet active duty. Unlikely, sure, but it's my ship. :)
I don't think it is too unlikely. The Americans had (or have) several MiG-21 "Fishbeds" which I believe were used as "agressors" in training exercies. I could be wrong, though. The F-5 Freedom Fighter was commonly used as a MiG-21 analogue (it and the MiG have similar performance, apparently) so it's not like they actually needed to use genuine Soviet equipment.

The Federation could have captured a handful of D-7's for study and use as opponents in training exercises. I've thought about doing a Starfleet K'tinga myself.
Cubey Terra wrote:Unfortunately, I don't think I have enough ship names or registry numbers to make anything convincing. Not sure what to do there.
You could try making your own decals. Decal paper can be had fairly cheaply on eBay. All you need is a printer, a vector drawng program (I use Inkscape), fonts, and the aforementioned decal paper. Stuff all experience required.
"On the internet, no one knows you're a cat." - Intentional misquote of a popular adage.

My flikr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/photos/132558716@N02/albums

Return to “2016 Group Build (Closed)”