USS Constitution - 1/2500 scale (Finished)

Fan Organized "Just For Fun" Group Build.
DefiantClient
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Re: USS Constitution - 1/2500 scale

Postby DefiantClient » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:14 am

trekriffic wrote:You sure?

Well if I had the tools, materials, and patience, sure I could do it. I may want to use this as an excuse to build other kits I've been meaning to get to for years, so I think I'll keep the experiments for another day. I actually think I found what I'm going to use. I have a pipe cleaner that I straightened out. I think it will work.

Also, here's the proof of the build.

Julien
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby Julien » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:01 am

Nice project !

I look forward to see how you do all the modifications !

DefiantClient
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby DefiantClient » Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:34 pm

Got a little progress done on this. Managed to get the saucer together along with the bridge up. Someone here said there were no differences between the old version of the kit (the one I'm using for the Constitution) and the new one. Lies! All LIES! The look may not have been retooled, but the fitting for the parts were. Just aligning the saucer with the three tiny pegs instead of the four huge ones on the R2 kit is so frustrating. I need to get my hands on more of the new Constitution classes from R2. Right now, I'll work with what I got.

I still need to work on the shape of the bridge, but for now, this is it. I used the bridge from the 1/2200 Enterprise Incident kit and have worked on making it smaller, though keeping it tall like the Pilot bridges. So far so good, but I still need to work on the overall shape like I said.

I've also shaved the B/C deck into a teardrop like my other Constitutions if you've been following my other 2500 Constitution threads in the 1/2500 forum. Like the bridge, it still needs work.

jkb-1
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby jkb-1 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:14 pm

DefiantClient wrote:Someone here said there were no differences between the old version of the kit (the one I'm using for the Constitution) and the new one. Lies! All LIES! The look may not have been retooled, but the fitting for the parts were. Just aligning the saucer with the three tiny pegs instead of the four huge ones on the R2 kit is so frustrating. I need to get my hands on more of the new Constitution classes from R2. Right now, I'll work with what I got.

Oh, yeah. And when you get to the nacelles struts you may notice that R2 sharpened the transition between the part that's supposed to fit inside the secondary hull parts and the part that forms part of the hull. On the older kit it's a bit blobby.

DefiantClient
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby DefiantClient » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:57 pm

Those seam lines are still a hell of a thing to get rid of on both versions of that kit part. :lol:

Quick non-picture update for this morning. I was able to get most of the main assemblies together this weekend. Sure, I should have worked on my Excalibur in the 1/2500 thread, but this project has me in the zone so I couldn't stop. I fixed the shape of the bridge to not look as lumpy. The overall shape looks a lot more like the pilot bridge than the pic I posted and I'm completely satisfied. I'll take more pictures tonight. I've also finished the secondary hull. The deflector is bigger than the kit supplied version, but I don't think it's big enough. I'm satisfied since I'm not looking for perfection, just a good approximation. It's weird, unmodified, the 1/2200 bridge is too big and the deflector is too small. So it goes.

For the antennas on the bussard collectors I decided to use unfluffed and uncoiled pipe cleaner and am having a hell of a time getting them completely straight, but I'm making progress. I'll probably be using some miliput to keep them in place when I glue them. This project it going pretty fast, so I'm gonna have to start another when I'm done with the Constitution. I'm thinking a 1/1000 Rbop. It's a pretty popular subject around here. :D

DefiantClient
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby DefiantClient » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:24 am

Sorry for the delay folks. I managed to snap a few pics of the modifications I did this past weekend. This is the old version of the kit, so I can't get a completed dry fitting of all the sub-assemblies. That's what I like about snap together kits like R2, as long as it's easy to take apart.

Good shot of the completed bridge. I used the 1/2200 Enterprise Incident bridge for this. I whittled and sanded it to a shape I'm satisfied with. I also teardropped the B/C deck and beveled the edge of the saucer per usual with my Constitution builds, but it's not noticeable in this picture. The scratches certainly are.

The deflector dish is also from the Enterprise Incident kit. It's definitely not perfect (Pilot's was a bit bigger than this), but the oversized dish was pretty crazy.

And the Nacelles. I haven't made the antenna yet, but I drilled holes in the bussards when I'm ready to cut and install the wire.

So yeah... Progress. :stonerbanana:

DefiantClient
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby DefiantClient » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:17 pm

Ugh, no progress update today unfortunately. I decided what I was using for the antenna on the bussard domes was not cutting it so I'm going to track down some thin wire or even a teeny tiny bit I may have in my collection of bits. If I remember today, I'll try to track something down on my break.

Hossfly72
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby Hossfly72 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:34 am

Have you tried stretched sprue for the nacelle spikes? When I was building 1/72 scale WWI biplanes, I got to the point that I could heat it and stretch it as thin or thinner than hair. And it'll actually hold it's shape pretty well even at that size. That is probably what I'll be using for the spikes on my kit bashed Bulldog class. On the other hand, I also have some very fine fiber optic cable from a Mardi Gras thingy that may work. Not to be lit, just as a spike.
i don't know. I'm making it up as I go.

DefiantClient
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby DefiantClient » Wed May 25, 2016 5:48 am

We have some progress. The Nacelle spike dilemma was finally solved. I ended up using staples. Can't believe I didn't think of doing that before.

Anyway, here she is all put together, puttied and sanded. I need to do more work where I shaped the teardrop b/c deck, but that should just be a little more putty... a little more sanding. You all know the drill. Enjoy. :D

trekriffic
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Postby trekriffic » Wed May 25, 2016 11:54 pm

Nice work! You need another paper clip to make the deflector dish spike though.
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/

Return to “2016 Group Build (Closed)”