USS Constitution - 1/2500 scale (Finished)

Fan Organized "Just For Fun" Group Build.
DefiantClient
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Re: USS Constitution - 1/2500 scale

Postby DefiantClient » Thu May 26, 2016 12:56 am

trekriffic wrote:Nice work! You need another paper clip to make the deflector dish spike though.

Thanks! I actually used a staple. You were right, the paperclips were all too thick.

Funny you mention it, I was thinking about using another staple for the deflector this morning. Shouldn't be too tough to add. I think the deflector originally had a longer stem, but it's probably long gone if it were even there in the first place.

DefiantClient
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby DefiantClient » Sat May 28, 2016 2:47 pm

Just a little update. Trekriffic reminded me that the original spike on the dish wasn't great. I knew it too, and was only going to leave it because it matched my other 1/2500 Constitution class ships I've been making in the 1/2500 forum. But this isn't a normal buildup. It's for the 50th Anniversary. It should have more care and love should be put into it. So out of love, I gutted the old spike and jammed a new metal one with superglue and putty. So caring. :lol:

It's a little off center, but near unnoticeable at this scale. It definitely makes this model look better though. Thanks for the suggestion Trekriffic. :)

Hossfly72
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby Hossfly72 » Sat May 28, 2016 5:36 pm

That thing is looking great! A staple? Brilliant!
i don't know. I'm making it up as I go.

trekriffic
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Postby trekriffic » Sat May 28, 2016 5:39 pm

Very nice! :D
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/

Drop_Bear
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby Drop_Bear » Sun May 29, 2016 4:18 am

Hossfly72 wrote:A staple? Brilliant!

Brilliant indeed. It's amazing, the inventive ways people use unremarkable things to detail models. I have an old model railway magazine with an interesting article on modelling cane railways which recommends using natural fibre floor mats for H0 scale sugarcane. It does look very convincing in the photos!

Great work, DefiantClient!
"On the internet, no one knows you're a cat." - Intentional misquote of a popular adage.

My flikr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/photos/132558716@N02/albums

DefiantClient
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby DefiantClient » Tue May 31, 2016 3:18 am

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Big update today. Got a good amount of paint on her today during my holiday off. I still need to do some touchups here and there, which I'll get done after posting this. I'll also need to use the handy dandy micron pen to ink some details like windows and the vents on the end caps. I found it easier doing all that after the gloss coat with my last build. Anywho, enjoy the update.

Julien
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby Julien » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:41 am

Great work !

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Postby el gato » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:22 pm

Excellent work! I'm going to have to remember the staple idea for spikes. They look great for this scale
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

DefiantClient
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby DefiantClient » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:55 pm

The staples are still holding the paint and gloss coat well, even after handling it constantly. I'm glad it worked out so well. Just be careful if you do this. They're pretty pokey. :)

Just a quick no picture update, but I just got back from a much needed vacation and am pretty much ready to finish the Constitution. I just got a ton of new models, along with replacement decals for when I messed up last week, and I want to work on after this. I can't reiterate how excited I am to get this entry finished. I plan on working on a couple projects after and one will hopefully be a new entry. I was hoping to work on something 1/1000 scale, but I think I only have patience for another smaller 1/2500 model.

DefiantClient
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby DefiantClient » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:46 am

FINISHED! :stonerbanana: :explosionbanana: :linedancebanana: :rockbanana:

I know Trekriffic is close to finishing his project, but he's put a lot of time and effort into his project. I just put mostly time. For the decals, I used a combination of JTGraphics and PNT decals as usual. The numbering and most of the pennants are PNT. The font is completely different and some of the red stiping is bigger on the PNT decals than the JTG. This comes to the slight disappointments I had with this buildup. The Nacelle pendents and registry on the sides are a little too far back. Not too bad, but this next flub is a little worse. I accidentally kept the registry number decals on the bottom of the saucer facing the same way as the pilot version. I swear I meant to reverse them, but after doing 3 other Constitutions the correct way, my brain was just on autopilot. Pros, I love how the spikes and the bridge turned out. Really nice for a quick and dirty buildup. Looks enough like the pilot Enterprise for me to be satisfied. I know one or two other people are doing pilot Enterprises in 1/2500 and can't wait to see how well those are compared to mine. Enjoy the finished pics!

Return to “2016 Group Build (Closed)”