USS Constitution - 1/2500 scale (Finished)

Fan Organized "Just For Fun" Group Build.
DefiantClient
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

USS Constitution - 1/2500 scale (Finished)

Post by DefiantClient »

Sort of a placeholder post for now, but I'm planning on building a 1/2500 USS Constitution based off the pilot USS Enterprise. It will be based on the second pilot Enterprise because I'm not a fan of the endcaps of the original pilot's nacelles. I'll be posting the starter WIP picture tonight, but for now here's some pictures of the pilot Enterprise, which I'm hoping my model will look pretty close to.

So yeah, that's what I'm going to be shooting for. 8-)
Last edited by DefiantClient on Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
slawton
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Re: USS Constitution - 1/2500 scale

Post by slawton »

Hey DC-minor note ("picking nits").. The second image is of the 1st pilot Enterprise (the rest are of the 2nd pilot but I believe the impulse engine rectangles should be lighter gray on the bottom pick). While physically shaped the same, the 1st pilot has no lights (they are all painted on). Also, the front of the bridge appears different (there is a large rectangular window on the 2nd pilot). At some point I'll post pictures showing the differences between the various Enterprises into my contest build area.
I'm a modeler, not a doctor...

Introduction
Galleries: Member, Comparison, Fleet, Action, Manufacturer
DefiantClient
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by DefiantClient »

Ah. good to know. The overall shape of the parts are the same though, no? That's more of what I'm going for. Thanks for pointing it out, but just so you're aware, the final product will not be accurate by any stretch of the imagination. I don't like the big light on the front of the second pilot bridge, so I'll incorporate the plain old front of the 1st pilot bridge in there. That was actually my original plan. :lol:

I have the PNT 1/2500 decals, so I should be good with the impulse engines' look. PNT also included a lot of neat TOS and pilot TOS stuff on a detail decal sheet, so I'll be using a bit of those as well.
trekriffic
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by trekriffic »

Nice choice of subject! I don't think I've ever seen build of either of the pilot ships in the sacred scale.
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/
DefiantClient
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by DefiantClient »

trekriffic wrote:Nice choice of subject! I don't think I've ever seen build of either of the pilot ships in the sacred scale.
In a way that's why I decided tackle this, even before the contest. I've never seen anyone do it before. I'm guessing it's because the model needs so much work to get it right. I don't care a ton about getting it accurate so I guess that's also a plus for getting something done.

Does anyone have any ideas for getting the antennas on the tips of the bussard collectors? I'm thinking REALLY thin paperclips, but if there's something out there I don't know about, I'd love to hear about it.
trekriffic
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by trekriffic »

DefiantClient wrote:Does anyone have any ideas for getting the antennas on the tips of the bussard collectors? I'm thinking REALLY thin paperclips, but if there's something out there I don't know about, I'd love to hear about it.
Paper clips would be too thick. I'd use piano wire which is made of steel and is very strong. You can get it in really fine sizes from your local hobby store, it's used in RC airplanes to operate the rudders and flaps. Alternatively you can buy a size 80 drill bit and break it in half to make two shafts. Now making the collar for the base of the spikes and the little knobby thing for the tips is a whole 'nuther challenge.

DefiantClient
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by DefiantClient »

I have some fairly thin paperclips I use to pin my Warhammer miniatures' arms, but you may be correct and even those might be too thick. My local hobby store definitely doesn't carry piano wire. :lol: There's probably an out of the way mom and pop that sells RC stuff, but I don't even know the first place to look. I think I have a thin guitar chord I can uncoil and use the center of that which may be thinner than paperclips.

I'm not modeling the nubs. They'd be too small to notice anyway. I'm not a Scotty-like miracle worker, unfortunately. :(
Last edited by DefiantClient on Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
trekriffic
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by trekriffic »

DefiantClient wrote:I'm not modeling the nubs. They'd be too small to notice anyway. I'm not a Scotty-like miracle worker, unfortunately. :(
You sure? All you need is some small round stock in your dremel's chuck. Spin it like a lathe and use files and sanding sticks to make that conical/knob shape. Do the same to make the cone for the base. It's delicate work but it could be done.
Attachments
Ent 1701 1-2500  pic004.jpg

Drop_Bear
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by Drop_Bear »

A Second Pilot styled USS Constitution? Sweet!
"On the internet, no one knows you're a cat." - Intentional misquote of a popular adage.

My flikr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/photos/132558716@N02/albums
Kremin
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by Kremin »

How thin are the pins used to fasten model railway sleepers, wonder if they would work?

Return to “2016 Group Build (Closed)”