50 x 50 ==> 2500 TOS (pic heavy)

Fan Organized "Just For Fun" Group Build.
slawton
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Re: 50 x 50 ==> 2500 (pic heavy) WITHDRAWN

Post by slawton »

Spock: "I'd advise ya's to keep dialing, Oxmyx"
A Piece of the Action

Synopsis: The Enterprise returns to a planet visited about 100 years ago before the Prime Directive was in place, to see the effect it had on these impressionable people. When they arrive, Kirk and Spock appear to have landed in a 1920's era Chicago, with mob bosses fighting for control and the streets are filled with criminals carry weapons -- all apparently due to contamination from a single book left behind from the Horizon. Kirk tries to come up with a viable government/leadership for the planet, but gets involved with double-dealing from these unscrupulous gangsters. Finally, he demonstrates the Federation's power and demands an organization where the Federation will collect their "cut" annually.

Notes: This is probably the most entertaining/humorous episode with Kirk's bad driving, fooling the thugs with a contradictory card game "Fizzbin", playing a gangster character and Spock's mostly failing to fall into a bad-guy role. "Mel" from the TV show "Alice" played Jojo Krako.

Plans: No other ships were shown in this episode....

So don't just leave anything laying around (looking at your "Bones")...
Last edited by slawton on Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'm a modeler, not a doctor...

Introduction
Galleries: Member, Comparison, Fleet, Action, Manufacturer
slawton
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by slawton »

Scott: "This is the commander of the U.S.S. Enterprise. All cities and installations on Eminiar 7 have been located, identified, and fed into our fire control system. In one hour and forty-five minutes, the entire inhabited surface of your planet will be destroyed. You have that long to surrender your hostages."
A Taste of Armageddon

Synopsis: The Enterprise is commanded by Ambassador Fox to establish diplomatic relations with Eminiar VII despite a warning to not approach under any circumstances. After ignoring the warning and arriving, they are greeted warmly enough but are not being told the whole story. Eminiar is at war with Vendikar and "casualties" are calculated by computers, giving the victims 24 hours to report to disintegration booths. This "clean" war claims the destruction of the Enterprise, in a similar repeat to what happened to the last Federation ship to visit the system, the Valiant. Kirk refuses to submit his crew to voluntary disintegration, orders the Enterprise to destroy the planet if the landing party is not released and detroys 2 disintegration booths, hindering the compliance with the "war rules", which would trigger actual weapons constructed and used in real warfare.

Notes: Scotty disobeys a direct order from the Ambassador to protect the ship. It's shocking to me that the Federation has a General Oder 24 to obliterate a planet. Yet another example of incompetant Federation higher-ups and blatant disregard for the Prime Directive. It seems foolhardy to me that Eminiar and Vendikar both would welcome a new, "dirty" & technologically superior enemy when they are already in a "clean" stalemate war with each-other. Kirk took a huge risk, potentially releasing untold destruction on these civilizations.

Plans: No other ships were shown in this episode. The USS Valiant has been arguably considered a Constitution (cannonically appears in a TOS list but not in service 50 years prior to the episode), Daedalus (taken out of serivce prior to this date) or other class, but is not the Earth ship named SS Valiant (lost near the galactic barrier mentioned in the TOS epsiode "Where No Man Has Gone Before").

So don't &X!#* with Kirk or Scotty...

Introduction
slawton
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by slawton »

I have TOS on DVD and have been recently watching the remastered versions on Netflix (mostly to see how they redid the special effects on the spaceships). The special effects are CGI, not movie quality, but definitely a more plausible representation of the action and a more interesting watch (sometimes rewriting the canon). I also noticed that the non-action scenes were more colorful (not as much shades of gray) and that the sound seemed to be enhanced (i.e. opening voice music).

Does anybody know all that was done for the remastered versions?
Last edited by slawton on Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Introduction
Hossfly72
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by Hossfly72 »

You guys made me remember what I used on my Romulan ship for the "bussards". My daughter has some nail polish that changes colors when sunlight shines on it. I forget what color it turns into, maybe white, but the normal color is a really nice light, spooky, glowy, metallic green. Think of the monsters in the Scooby Doo movie. If you're interested, I'll try to get her to find the bottle to see what brand..
i don't know. I'm making it up as I go.
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by Moongrim »

Hossfly72 wrote:You guys made me remember what I used on my Romulan ship for the "bussards". My daughter has some nail polish that changes colors when sunlight shines on it. I forget what color it turns into, maybe white, but the normal color is a really nice light, spooky, glowy, metallic green. Think of the monsters in the Scooby Doo movie. If you're interested, I'll try to get her to find the bottle to see what brand..

That does sound intriguing.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.
Hossfly72
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by Hossfly72 »

Here it is. DelSol. I used flat white enamel under it.

The thumbnail inverted but it shows correctly if you click on it
Attachments
Rimulan color changing bussards
Rimulan color changing bussards
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato »

Is this nail polish found anywhere or do you have to go to a specialty store? With a name like Del Sol and it changes color in the sunlight I'm thinking it has something to do with the line of Del Sol novelty t-shirts. These are not found everywhere.

BTW, I use copper and clear green for Rommie Bussards, but admittedly they do not change color :(
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.
Hossfly72
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by Hossfly72 »

Hey El Gato,
Kat says she got it at a Del Sol store.. maybe they have online ordering?
To be honest, I would have used copper and clear green, but my shop was out of clear green and I was finishing up the build and just asked her on the spur of the moment what colors she had.
slawton
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Re: 50 x 50 ==> 2500 (pic heavy)

Post by slawton »

jkb-1 wrote:
slawton wrote:
jkb-1 wrote:For Romulan decals, you've probably seen https://www.jbot.ca/space.shtml although he doesn't seem to be selling right now.
I would get the JBOT ones, but it lists 1/2200-1/2500, so I envisioned they were made for the encounter set. Has anyone tried these on the 1/2500 D7s? Not selling?? They were on the list and could be added to the cart.
I just tried again, and I can get it in the cart, but with a red "X" to the left of it, and when I try to check out it returns with a letter of apology for being behind on stock.
(I'd be willing to "take one for the team" to find the size of this decal -- I was going to order it to try to "make it fit" on a non-Klingon Romulans ship. When I had an Encounters kit, I scaled the D-7 as 1/2000 by placing the aft hull part over Jeffries's comparison drawing on the cover of The Star Trek Sketchbook where the 200 foot mak is 1.2 inches long. By similar measurements I put the Johnny Lightning D-7 at either 1/2200 or 1/2300, (I forget) and I think the R2 kit is the same size.)
For those curious about the Romulan D7 decals and whether they will fit on the 1/2500 TOS Cadet Series kits, I recently received an email from Jim Botaitis from JBOT Decals:
My site will be up and running in January. You are welcome to place your order then, using the shopping cart.
Those decals should fit, yes.

Introduction
DefiantClient
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by DefiantClient »

YAY! Looking forward to the results.

Return to “2016 Group Build (Closed)”