50 x 50 ==> 2500 TOS (pic heavy)

Fan Organized "Just For Fun" Group Build.
slawton
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Re: 50 x 50 ==> 2500

Post by slawton »

trekriffic wrote:
slawton wrote:the Fesarius was a mile in diameter.
Really? Only a mile? I always thought it was much larger then that.
That's what Spock said. This image is in contrast with that statement:
firstfederation_fesarius2.png
This one seems more reasonable:
firstfederation_fesarius1.png
Again, not consistent. Shame on them for not getting the script and special effects on the same page within the scramble to get a TV show together on a tight schedule. They should have known we'd be here 50 years later obsessing over it!

A side thought -- is the First Federation associated with the Borg (sphere & cube shaped ships)?
Last edited by slawton on Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'm a modeler, not a doctor...

Introduction
Galleries: Member, Comparison, Fleet, Action, Manufacturer
slawton
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Re: 50 x 50 ==> 2500 (pic heavy)

Post by slawton »

Here's a starting pic:
IMG_1030 (2).jpg
Top left is a bunch of Connie's. I have 10 kits, 4 of the really old kind with limited decals and 5 of the newest (although they are the same mold of the original kit with its numerous flaws). Under that is the TOS on DVD (for viewing, research & image capture). In front of those are some DQ TOS era kits. Just right of those are the tiny Federation shuttles. In front of those are PNT, JT Graphics, etc. Federation TOS decals (1st & 2nd pilot, mirror, 8 additional names from the original 13 Connie's, etc.). This is on top of an old scaled image of TOS ships I had printed out. On the rear right, there are Romulan Bird of Prey (5 of the TOS kit plus 1 resin kit from Federation Models), Klingon Battlecruisers (6 of the TOS kits, 1 donated by Hossfly) & some extra insignia decals. In front of that is some wood board/balls for First Federation ships and a 1/2500 Nimitz class carrier from Shapeways. Underneath is a printed out "Proof of Start" (from Internet Explorer it printed out this way, cutting off the right side of the image).

These should get me halfway to the goal.
Last edited by slawton on Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Introduction
trekriffic
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by trekriffic »

Holy Moly! :shock:
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/
trekriffic
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Re: 50 x 50 ==> 2500

Post by trekriffic »

slawton wrote:
trekriffic wrote:
slawton wrote:the Fesarius was a mile in diameter.
Really? Only a mile? I always thought it was much larger then that.
That's what Spock said. This image is in contrast with that statement:

That image matches this line of dialogue:

BAILEY: Over five thousand metres away, and it still fills the screen.

So Spock appears to be not just a bit off, but waaaaaay off, in his estimate based on Bailey's comment.

slawton
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by slawton »

Forgot to include the Botany Bay printed on Shapeways (thanks marcnoonan):
IMG_1031.JPG
IMG_1031.JPG (78.84 KiB) Viewed 858 times
The cube was a bit trickier than I expected (I had cut out a more rectangular shape). Sanding took too much time to make it into a cube, so I sawed off another small slice (which resulted in nicks in the wood). To fix these imperfections and fill some of the holes of the larger spheres, I used some spackling paste (not sanded smooth yet).

I had a moment of zen feeling working with the wood, as much of the TOS models were done, kind of feeling like I was following in their shoes. Also, it was a sensory experience. The sounds of sawing, sanding and the motorized sander. The smell of the pine revealed after sanding. The touch of the sandpaper and the super smooth sanded sides. Seeing the beauty of the wood grains and the gravity defying sawdust. Not what I usually experience at my work computer/desk.
Last edited by slawton on Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Introduction
trekriffic
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by trekriffic »

slawton wrote:I had a moment of zen feeling working with the wood, as much of the TOS models were done, kind of feeling like I was following in their shoes. Also, it was a sensory experience. The sounds of sawing, sanding and the motorized sander. The smell of the pine revealed after sanding. The touch of the sandpaper and the super smooth sanded sides. Seeing the beauty of the wood grains and the gravity defying sawdust.
Sounds like the feeling my wife gets around...cucumbers... they're very... sensual, don't you think?

slawton
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by slawton »

trekriffic wrote:
slawton wrote:I had a moment of zen feeling ...
Sounds like the feeling my wife gets around...cucumbers... they're very... sensual, don't you think?
You had to go there. :twisted:

I'm heavily rational oriented (Spock-like) and often out of touch with my emotions. I was expressing an atypical experience for me.

Introduction
Drop_Bear
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by Drop_Bear »

Cheeses! I thought this was an April Fools hoax. As batplop crazy as this is, it looks like you're gonna have a lot of fun and a lot of late nights with this project.

Nice choice, starting with the Corbomite Manoeuvre. I can't wait to see what comes next.
"On the internet, no one knows you're a cat." - Intentional misquote of a popular adage.

My flikr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/photos/132558716@N02/albums
slawton
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by slawton »

Here's a visual overview of the TOS Constitution class variants:
Variants.png
It was a modified TOS Constitution Polar Lights instructions with highlights/red circles for each version's differences. There are decal specifics on the bottom.

Starting with the 1st Pilot:
No lights (all painted on)
Bridge: double high
Saucer top: gray bands painted near port & starboard edge
Saucer bottom: NCC on the inside, No Lower Saucer Dome nipple (phasor)
Impulse engines: black rectangular vents
Secondary hull: Large deflector dish, Smooth Shuttlebay Doors
Nacelles: Nacelle spikes,No ball on nacelle end cap.

2nd Pilot differences from 1st Pilot:
Bridge: several painted-on windows removed, light panels added in front and on sides.
Saucer top: nav lights added, black bands painted near port & starboard edge, painted black & white areas added near bow edge, four light panels added. The port & aft light panel was just painted-on and is not an actual light panel.
Saucer rim: centermost bow port changed to nav light, some windows added.
Saucer bottom: nav light & 2 portholes added near edge on each side, at 10 and 2 o'clock positions.
Impulse engines: black rectangular vents painted over with hull color, eight small round black vents painted on.
Secondary hull: strobe light added on aft flank, rearmost round porthole moved from left side of two rectangular ones to right side.
Nacelles: black "grille" pattern painted on rear nacelle end caps.
Registry markings were previously painted-on, now changed to decals.

Mirror differences from 2nd Pilot:
Large Terran Empire insignia on top of nacelles and bottom of secondary hull
Medium Terran Empire insignia on top front of saucer
Small Terran Empire insignia on shuttlebay hangar doors
USS --> ISS

Production Series differences from 2nd Pilot:
Bridge: bottom half chopped off, light panels removed, a red “beacon” added on each side. Some portholes added on B&C decks.
Saucer top: black bands and most other painted-on markings removed, a round light panel added near bow edge, rib added on "linear accelerator" and both painted a darker gray.
Saucer rim: Some portholes added, bow nav light replaced by light panel
Saucer bottom: nav lights moved to 9 and 3 o'clock position, some portholes added, "nipple with phaser turret" added below sensor dome, NCC on the outside.
Impulse engines: painted darker gray, round vents removed, original rectangular vents again painted black, texture wraps added on both ends of impulse deck.
Dorsal: some windows/portholes moved/added, dorsal painted same as rest of hull instead of the earlier bluish reflective color, with a darker region on both leading & receding edge.
Secondary hull: red "beacon" & green portholes added on top, some windows/portholes added, deflector dish diameter reduced, "observation booth" added under cowling above hangar bay doors.
Nacelle pylons: four dark gray. brick-pattern inserts placed in slots.
Nacelles: solid wood "power nodules" with spikes replaced with frosted plexi-glass domes with inner surface painted transparent orange, plus motorized vanes and blinking Christmas lights added behind the dome. Ribs and aluminum grille added in "trenches" along inboard flanks of nacelles and trench painted darker gray., patterned slabs added inside "intercooler loops" at rear, small slabs added in front of intercooler loops, black painted grille removed from end caps and light gray. spheres added. Typeface used for registry markings changed, weathering added.

I plan to incorporate various configurations of my Connie's.
Last edited by slawton on Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Introduction
Julien
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by Julien »

Great project !

And very ambitious ! So let's me just say now that I will consider this entry "completed" even if you only finish a few of them and not the all 50 !

I look forward to see all the various Connies !
The Belgian Builder

Return to “2016 Group Build (Closed)”