Drop_Bear's Build: Reimagined Enterprise (WITHDRAWN)

Fan Organized "Just For Fun" Group Build.
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)

Re: Drop_Bear's Build: Reimagined Enterprise

Postby Moongrim » Fri May 27, 2016 1:10 pm

Yeah I grew up reading Peanuts. Started in the late '60's reading them.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.

DefiantClient
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby DefiantClient » Fri May 27, 2016 1:37 pm

Sweet! I grew up on Calvin and Hobbes. The Peanuts comics never resonated with me, but the TV specials always brings back those nostalgia feelings.

Don't feel bad, I only just updated my Constitution build the other day after no progress while you got a ton of work done comparatively. We have til September too, so no rush.

trekriffic
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Postby trekriffic » Fri May 27, 2016 3:56 pm

Drop_Bear wrote:That's a great idea, Moongrim. I have taken Trekriffic up on his kind offer, so I will investigate doing that.

Almost forgot to mention it Drop_Bear but I mailed you two of the bridge decals this past Tuesday. The post office said it would take 7-10 days to get to Australia regular mail. So hopefully you'll get them by this time next week.
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/

Drop_Bear
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby Drop_Bear » Sun May 29, 2016 4:20 am

Cool! Thanks again. The postage wasn't too much, was it?
"On the internet, no one knows you're a cat." - Intentional misquote of a popular adage.

My flikr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/photos/132558716@N02/albums

trekriffic
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Postby trekriffic » Sun May 29, 2016 11:57 pm

Drop_Bear wrote:Cool! Thanks again. The postage wasn't too much, was it?

Nah... $1.15. No biggie.
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/

Julien
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby Julien » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:44 am

Great work ! Love the mods !

Drop_Bear
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby Drop_Bear » Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:43 am

Julien wrote:Great work ! Love the mods !

Thanks!
"On the internet, no one knows you're a cat." - Intentional misquote of a popular adage.

Drop_Bear
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby Drop_Bear » Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:43 am

Sorry for the lack of... well, anything, guys. I have been a bit preoccupied with other things the past month and a half. Actually, until I logged in I thought it had only been two or three weeks... jeez. I don't need drugs to skip months or even years; just an interesting idea to pursue. Well anyway, the time hasn't been totally wasted, I have managed to get some work done on the Enterprise. Not much, but at least she is starting to take shape.

The bridge decals arrived safe and sound, Trekriffic. These things are sweet! They are incredibly small, but look convincing, and are even populated by crewmembers! Look, you can see Kirk (or a reasonable facsimile) in his chair, with what might be a yeoman standing just to the side, and the helm and navigation stations are manned. There is no way I could have made a bridge this good in styrene.

So, the work I have done... I started filling the deflector grid on the bottom half of the saucer. This time I have been more careful. I used toothpicks this time and I think they work well... as long as you replace them frequently. If I was a bit more experienced at abusing model kits I would have covered the whole thing in filler and scribed in the "correct" rings and langing gear hatches and whatnot. But I'm still an overambitious novice at this model building caper, so I think the sensible thing is to work with what I have. And what I have seems to work. I don't know how well you can see them, but by chance the three rings I left unfilled have pretty much the same spacing as the rings on the TOS saucer.

This half of the saucer will need another pass or two with putty, then I'm going to drill windows into the rim (I have always wanted to try doing that!), force the TOS impulse deck into it, and craft a sensor dome. Speaking of which, I had a flash of inspiration about that.

The Movie Era saucer is a larger diameter than the TOS one so the sensor dome, at least in my mind, has to be of a proportionatly larger diameter in order to look right. But for a while I was stumped trying to think of a way to even craft a sensor dome (or planetary sensor array, as I think it it properly called). Then one day while I was lying in bed watching TV I chanced to look at a 2 litre Coke bottle I had left standing on the floor. I remembered that the inside of the cap usually has a raised bit that looks something like a sensor dome

So I whittled away most of the plastic...

And combined with a small LEGO satellite dish (part 4740), it does have the potential to be a sensor array. I'm just not sure how to fit it. At the moment I think I will have to cut a hole to sink it in. Otherwise it will sit too tall.

I will also be using part 4740 for the navigational deflector. Trying to mate the TOS deflector housing with the Refit one... it would work about as well as Galgamex sex does. Consult Google if you don't know what I'm on about. EDIT: What I mean is that the two kit parts go together as well as two, er, things which in theory fit together by design but for practical reasons don't. So, instead of having these rings (What do they do anyway? Is it a heat sink?) I'm going to have this dish behind the deflector. The navigational deflector itself will be the larger Pilot unit, which seems to look better against the front of the Refit deflector housing than the smaller Series unit does.

To be perfectly honest, I had no idea how I was going to deal with the dorsal pylon (or "neck", or whatever). I thought maybe I could cut off the one on the TOS secondary hull or bodge something in styrene, but then I noticed something interesting. The TOS and Refit dorsal pylons share the same angles front and rear, with the Refit version being longer and having a pair of torpedo launchers wrapped around the base.

I still have no idea what I am doing, but I have started modifying the Refit dorsal pylon into a TOS version of itself.
Last edited by Drop_Bear on Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:58 am, edited 3 times in total.

Drop_Bear
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby Drop_Bear » Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:44 am

I started by cutting the front of the torpedo launcher housing at an angle to match the rest of the dorsal pylon.

Then I hacked this sorry excuse for a slot into the top piece of the secondary hull. I'm enjoying playing with my new pin vise a little too much...

The vague idea i have is this. I cut a big lump of thick sheet styrene to glue between the two halves of the dorsal pylon. This gives me a fifth mounting tab which slots into the top of the secondary hull. Before inserting the dorsal pylon I will pack the torpedo launcher housing with Aves Apoxie Sculpt. Then, after inserting the dorsal pylon into the hull piece and (somehow) securing the big tab I made from the underside I just cut away the torpedo launcher housing, hopefully leaving something I can tidy up and which looks good.

Does that make sense?

I have made a stab at transplanting the TOS shuttlebay doors to the Refit hull as well. This is going surprisingly well. After a lot of rigorous scientific measurements made by eye and by comparing different pieces of plastic with each other I determined that the rear of the Refit secondary hull had to be cut here, on the side of the tape with all the plastic shavings (I had forgotton to take a picture and started cutting).

The TOS shuttlebay doorframe was easy to remove. It even had a guide to help me make a straight cut!

This will need just a little bit of putty to blend it in to the rest of the secondary hull, because the curvature isn't quite the same between the two hulls.

And lastly, I couldn't help dry fitting everything to see how she will look.

Drop_Bear
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby Drop_Bear » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:59 am

Eureka! Okay, a very crude sketch but I think I know how to fix this sort of bracket thing I'm going to put in the dorsal pylon. I have been wanting to put a starboard side stand hole in the Enterprise, for photographing and photoshopping her, and while reading Trekriffic's build thread it clicked. He put a square hole in the side of his dreadnaught, for a square mount that will keep the ship from pivoting on its stand. Well, I realised that a side mount could also solve the problem of anchoring the bracket thing.

It would go together like a LEGO Technic set. The bracket thing slots down into the hull and then a square tube anchors it in place while at the same time the bracket thing would secure it in the correct location.

If this doesn't make much sense... I apologise. I'm a) excited and b) not feeling very good. I had a bit of an episode today and slapped myself over the head. A lot. And hit myself on the head with a small baking tray. A lot. Don't ask. I don't think I'm anything more than badly dazed, though.

Return to “2016 Group Build (Closed)”