Drop_Bear's Build: Reimagined Enterprise (WITHDRAWN)

Fan Organized "Just For Fun" Group Build.
Drop_Bear
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Re: Drop_Bear's Build: Reimagined Enterprise

Postby Drop_Bear » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:17 am

A bit more progress on the Enterprise. I'm on my third filler pass on the lower saucer and have started on the secondary hull pieces. The toothpicks I'm using are just fine enough to allow me to steer the putty around the windows.

And the impulse deck... On the TOS Kit and the studio model there is a pair of apostrophe shaped hatches which are just decals/paint. Because I can't leave well enough alone I have been thinking I could make that area look more interesting if I made those apostrophes raised details, so I cut out two apostrophes in 0.5 mm styrene and roughly mocked it all up.

I like it. But what do you think? I'm inspired to do this by the Gresley A3 Pacifics of the London and North Eastern Railway. The A3s were rebuilds of the Gresley A1 and with that rebuild came new, larger superheater headers that required a hole be cut either side of the smokebox to allow them to fit. The headers were protected by prominent rectangular covers that made the A3s instantly recognisable.

So when I see those apostrophe shaped details I naturally think of the A3 and those superheater headers. Giving the Enterprise covers like the A3, presumably for larger fusion reactors gained during a refit, seems a logical thing to do. To quote one Jeremy Clarkson, "POWER"! :D
"On the internet, no one knows you're a cat." - Intentional misquote of a popular adage.

My flikr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/photos/132558716@N02/albums

DefiantClient
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby DefiantClient » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:39 am

Nice progress. this reminds me of when I tried to make a 1/537 Enterprise a smoothie. Ididn't cover the grid lines, just the junky aztek. I think I puttied one section of panels before I gave up. I like the idea of the raised "apostrophies." Are you going to add a little detail to them or leave them be? Either way would be fine I think.

Drop_Bear
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby Drop_Bear » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:48 am

Thanks! I think I can understand why you gave up on that smoothie conversion. Surface area, right? This is "only" a 1:1000 scale model, but it's taking a surprising amount of work to fill in the deflector grid. And yes, I am thinking of adding some detail to the "apostrophies". I'm just not sure what to add yet.
"On the internet, no one knows you're a cat." - Intentional misquote of a popular adage.

Drop_Bear
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby Drop_Bear » Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:04 am

This is embarrassing...

Ten days or so to go and I haven't made any progress with the Enterprise over the last month. I do have a good reason for it, though. See, my brother has a friend who had a falling out with her grandmother and was forced to move out of the house she shared with her. Problem is, she couldn't turn to her family for help so my brother invited her to live with our family until she found a place to live (we have a multigenerational household) and so for the last three months or so she has been occupying the living room. Which also happens to be where my work area is. Given this woman's penchant for sleeping until mid-morning and taking afternoon naps, her being here most days, and the fact that she has been on the phone 15 hours a day talking to a friend of hers who is in a similar predicament I just haven't had the time, time that is convenient for me, to sit at my desk and work on this model. It wouldn't have been right. People need their personal space and when that space is a living room in a friend's family's house that space requires one to stay out of the living room in order to give it.

She moved out yesterday but with just ten days left there is no way I can complete my Enterprise on time. Finishing building her, sure, that's feasible but there is no way I could paint and decal her in time for the deadline. I'm not giving up, but I know I'm not going to be able to complete the Enterprise as I had earnestly set out to do. Just as long as I have a 75% completed model on D-Day I'll be happy.

Computer; end rant.

Drop_Bear
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby Drop_Bear » Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:56 am

A little bit of progress made today. I think I'm going to try and keep construction as straightforward and simple as possible. Take the dorsal pylon. I wanted to turn it into an engineering exercise to rival the Saturn V rocket. Instead, I bored a hole in a piece of styrene, threaded it over the rearmost tab and packed the dorsal pylon with Aves and attached it to the secondary hull top piece, using more Aves underneath to secure the styrene. How well will it work? I dunno, but we'll find out a little later on!

Also, I will no longer be drilling windows into the rim of the primary hull. I tried it. It didn't turn out so good and now I have a dozen misaligned and mishapen indents and one small hole to fill.

Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)

Postby Moongrim » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:18 pm

Well I for one vote to give Drop_Bear a credit for at least 3 months for his thoughtfulness towards this lady.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.

MEATLOAFr
Rampaging Rear Admiral (LH)
Rampaging Rear Admiral (LH)

Postby MEATLOAFr » Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:45 pm

Moongrim wrote:Well I for one vote to give Drop_Bear a credit for at least 3 months for his thoughtfulness towards this lady.

better than mine - have all the things for it, but just haven't had the time or energy to work on it
If the world ends tomorrow, it's ALL YOUR FAULT!!!

Custom Decals, and Vinyl Cutting services available

Drop_Bear
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby Drop_Bear » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:15 am

MEATLOAFr wrote:
Moongrim wrote:Well I for one vote to give Drop_Bear a credit for at least 3 months for his thoughtfulness towards this lady.

better than mine - have all the things for it, but just haven't had the time or energy to work on it

Yeah... that's true I suppose. Still, things happen and you just can't get the things you want to do done. Have you thought about picking another deadline, a personal deadline, MEATLOAFr? I'm aiming for December 15, the original airdate of Balance of Terror.

Anyway, no progress since the weekend. I've been sick. Don't know where it came from, but it hit me over the head with a cricket bat after I went to bed on Saturday and left me coughing and dozing in bed for two days.

Moongrim

Postby Moongrim » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:22 pm

I hope you get better.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.

Drop_Bear
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby Drop_Bear » Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:22 am

Moongrim wrote:I hope you get better.

Thanks. The worst is over now, but I still have a few days of coughing ahead of me.

Alright, so last Saturday I began the serious work in backdating the dorsal pylon. The Aves is now well and truly cured so today I took the plunge and took off the rest of the torpedo launcher fairing. Tools for this were a saw, a knife, a file, and some rough sandpaper.

I started by using the saw to cut large sections away, and then sanded and filed the base of the dorsal pylon roughly into shape.

There is still plenty of sanding and fiddling to do before this part is finished and especially with the rest of the secondary hull because the top plate no longer snaps into place as the stock part did.

And finally, I have found a solution for the planetary sensor array. I was on Modular Models' website last night and saw a multiscale (1:1000 - 1:650 scale) TOS planetary sensor array for US$3.50. Including postage and a Movie Era dual docking port bridge it's cost me $35 Australian... but it's totally worth it. I think. Problem is, buying from Modular Models requires a bit of patience, 6 - 8 weeks I'm told, so chances are I won't see the planetary sensor array until I'm ready for final assembly of my Enterprise (sometime in November, I'm hoping). I'm also currently waiting on some boss resin Bussard dome inserts from JT-Graphics. Unlike the stock Polar Lights clear plastic inner dome, these are detailed parts with individual blades and a hub in the centre. I probably should write an email and ask what's happening with those, because I ordered them four months ago.

Return to “2016 Group Build (Closed)”