ANOTHER IDEA!

From 2D to 3D. CGI to Old School sketches. Post all artwork here!
patrickivan
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

ANOTHER IDEA!

Post by patrickivan »

I've been having lots of ship ideas after a long drought. It's nice... Anyone. Here's the start of something I think. A take of some familiar older designs with a twist on integrating the nacelles into a single unit...

I'm still fleshing out ideas. I want to keep it TOS simple and not go overboard with complexity.

Thoughts?
trekriffic
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Re: ANOTHER IDEA!

Post by trekriffic »

That's certainly a unique looking design. Go for it!
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/
MEATLOAFr
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Post by MEATLOAFr »

not bad... personally I'd go for a shorter neck
If the world ends tomorrow, it's ALL YOUR FAULT!!!
Custom Decals, and Vinyl Cutting services available
ABLE TO PRINT DECALS IN WHITE
NOW ABLE TO 3D PRINT SMALL SCALE MODELS (ANYCUBIC PHOTON & MONO X) have STL, will print!!
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by Moongrim »

Am I correct in assuming that the warp engines are incorporated into the secondary hull? Akin to a Next Gen Saber Class starship?
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.
patrickivan
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by patrickivan »

I was going for something akin to FJs Saladin Class (with 2 nacelles as there should be)... And being firmly in the camp that the nacelles house the actual highly powerful warp engines, and engineering is where all the power control and power conversion and distribution takes places, this is a perfectly viable concept.

Except I wanted something that would have a more robust deflector system like a Constitution Class, and didn't want just a dish dropping from the saucer.

Anyway- I just wanted something that had a little more technical connectivity between the saucer and the nacelles.

In the event of a Power Pod (MJ's term) ejection, the nacelles connected to the central deflector pod, would separate as one unit, including the dorsal. That would dump the bulky mass allowing the saucer better mass to thrust ratio I would think would be critical in an emergency.

Anyway- I've mocked up a simple sketchup drawing

Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by Moongrim »

Deja Vu
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.
dJiPi
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by dJiPi »

wanna something uncommon ?, design the lower part/secondary hull like an horseshoe with triangular/almond shaped bussard collectors on the leading edge. Diameter of the horseshoe should be decreasing from the front to the two extremities. Connecting neck should be more fluid like on the JJprise or the Galaxy class.
dJiPi the froggy
patrickivan
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by patrickivan »

Moongrim wrote:Deja Vu
naaaaaah- the idea was to not have just the dropping deflector or nacelle struts.
dJiPi wrote:wanna something uncommon ?, design the lower part/secondary hull like an horseshoe with triangular/almond shaped bussard collectors on the leading edge. Diameter of the horseshoe should be decreasing from the front to the two extremities. Connecting neck should be more fluid like on the JJprise or the Galaxy class.
funny that you mention the horseshoe idea, because that's exactly how this started. I was at work and sketched that very thought down, but really didn't like it. It just didn't fit TOS aesthetic to me. Anything too fluid, organic, singular, et c just doesn't feel right.
Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral »

There is this....
uss20chariot2051zf3.jpg
uss20chariot2051zf3.jpg (55.55 KiB) Viewed 2869 times
Not my work but cool

A drawing thereof.
Federation_Chariot-Class_00.JPG
Federation_Chariot-Class_00.JPG (21.02 KiB) Viewed 2869 times
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.
dJiPi
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by dJiPi »

Hi Tesral,
Your pics already gave me an idea some weeks ago: a Galaxy saucer and an Y-wing :D
dJiPi the froggy

Return to “Trek Art”